Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It has been reported that Guy Hamilton has just died at his home in Majorca aged 93. Of course well known for 4 Bond films amongst others.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mister E.:
Joanie Laurer aka Chyna WWE Superstar has passed away at 45. Possible drug overdose. R.I.P.

I met her when she came to a local gaming store for a signing appearance, I'm thinking 1995 or 96. Had to amend that, must have been closer to 2000. I have the autographs and photos in a binder. The store brought in many WWE personalities in the summer and they always had good crowds.

This mob went all the way around the block and into the parking lot. It was a lot of fathers and sons, but a fair amount of women too.

Anyway Chyna arrived in this red, white and blue outfit that made her look like Wonder Woman. She was a tall, curvy woman and she really did look like she could play the part. She was out of the WWE at that point and could not use the name Chyna, she was billed and signing only under her real name Joanie Laurer.

Well she was great, friendly to everyone, took extra pictures and talked to each person. I remember that I said I liked her in her role on Third Rock From the Sun and hoped to see her do other shows. She seemed very pleased with that comment because she wanted to be an actress and had left wrestling at the time. She went back and made up with them later on.

Anyway, I was very sorry to hear of her passing today and at such a young age. Things did not work out for her, but she was happy to draw such a large group of fans on the day I saw her. RIP Joanie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok... It's reported that Prince or artist formerly known as...has passed away.

2016 is no joke

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NL:
Ok... It's reported that Prince or artist formerly known as...has passed away.

2016 is no joke

I know. Dove's are crying... Frown

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Stunning news, he was supposed to have the flu last week.

The soundtrack from Purple Rain is the thing I will remember most. That movie had as much impact as Saturday Night Fever when it came out.

I think his talent could have blown away all his peers if he would have followed the mold, but his music and his life was his own. RIP Prince.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
This is some hard news to take.
Shake Head

I read recently that he was planning to write his memoirs. That was a book I was looking forward to reading. I wonder if he got any of that done.

Oh well. Back to crying...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
Yes, the news about Prince is shocking. I saw him live in concert once. It was fantastic. He had a magnificent stage presence.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I know he was a sportsman but the sad news that Muhammad Ali has died at the age of 74 has a place here as he was also one of the greatest entertainers of the 20th Century. I was sad to hear of his death in today's news. A great man who will be missed by many people.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Janet Waldo, who is best known as having done the voice of Judy Jetson, but had a movie, TV, and radio career back to 1938, died yesterday. I don't think she had any trading cards.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Janet Waldo, who is best known as having done the voice of Judy Jetson, but had a movie, TV, and radio career back to 1938, died yesterday. I don't think she had any trading cards.

And the voice of Penelope Pitstop. however, Judy Jetson & Penelope Pitsop were featured in the Hanna-Barbera Classics card set.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
27 year star of the latest Star Trek movies has died. Actor who played Chekov. Found down his steep driveway pinned between his car and a wall. Car was in neutral.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mister E.:
27 year star of the latest Star Trek movies has died. Actor who played Chekov. Found down his steep driveway pinned between his car and a wall. Car was in neutral.

His name was Anton Yelchin. Also starred in Terminator: Salvation. He was excellent in his roles and I was looking forward to following his career. Such a sad loss. RIP Angel

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Extremely sad news. Rest in peace, young Anton. All sympathy to his family and friends.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yelchin had one autograph card in the Star Trek 2009 movie set. Typically it's now a hot item and yesterday no one looked twice. Such a shame, he was so young and seemed to have a career beyond Star Trek.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Typically it's now a hot item and yesterday no one looked twice.

Partially, but not completely true.

The three that sold the day he died went for $175, $200, and $250, obviously multiplied in value due to his death. However, the only other one shown as sold from before the tragedy went for $71 in May. That's a solid price for a young actor with no real "superstar" roles to his credit. Part of that already existing value may have been from "Star Trek" fans, sure, but I think many (myself included) believed that Yelchin had only scratched the surface of what he could be as an actor, and that his career thus had a real upside to it remaining, making his autograph a desirable one to have, with no idea beforehand of the shocking end his life would come to.

"Hearts In Atlantis" couldn't hope to tell the full story of Stephen King's lengthy novel, but it wisely focused on the story that gave Anton an early role that for me, was always a favorite, and now will be even more so, sadly. Regarding the character played by Anton's first kiss, King memorably wrote, "It's the one against all others will be measured...and found wanting". That feeling was beautifully communicated by Anton and his co-star within the film during that crucial scene. He was gifted beyond his years even then.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Sad news. I didn't even remember he was in Hearts In Atlantis, a movie I only recall as not liking very much, although the book itself is one of my favorites, especially the Low Men In Yellow Coats section. I guess it's time to watch the film again.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Typically it's now a hot item and yesterday no one looked twice.

Partially, but not completely true.

The three that sold the day he died went for $175, $200, and $250, obviously multiplied in value due to his death. However, the only other one shown as sold from before the tragedy went for $71 in May. That's a solid price for a young actor with no real "superstar" roles to his credit.

Ahh, sorry but you can't get more completely true than a 3 times the value increase on a card that was already in the $60 - $80 range just because it was a limited Star Trek autograph. It is unfortunately the "death bounce" that occurs when many celebrities die and their supply of signatures becomes finite. People who never needed the autograph before suddenly have to have it. Shake Head

You forgot to mention the only film that I actually saw Yelchin in, the remake of Fright Night. Not a great movie, but he did nice job with his part.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I understand the autograph increase. He will sign no more. Cast signed portraits of the new Star Trek movie cast have undoubtedly taken a jump as well. This is very sad.

The new prices being asked for his Star Trek costume cards do seem out of whack, but we shall see. I have no personal interest in the buying or selling of any of these, but I'm going to check in to see what happens for the next week or two, for curiosity's sake.

Beyond Star Trek cards, he has a nice portrait card (with color parallels, I believe) from 2008 PopCardz(?). I have a little stack of those, but haven't looked at them in years. Hopefully, I have one of his.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Of those movies he made I did see, I seem to have caught mainly ones where he was part of an ensemble. The films he headlined that appear to be getting the most mentions are 2007's "Charlie Bartlett", the 2011 young romance "Like Crazy" (opposite "Rogue One" star Felicity Jones), last year's thriller "Green Room" and the 2013 horror comedy "Odd Thomas". I plan to see all of these in tribute.

The guy was certainly industrious. He has five more movies in the can (including "Star Trek Beyond" out next month), so he may have a couple more memorable roles yet to be seen, despite this awful event, thanks to the time it takes to get movies ready for release after filming.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Just read that Jerry Doyle, Garibaldi from Babylon 5 has passed away aged 60.

JMS' statement.

http://www.epictimes.com/07/28...t-death-jerry-doyle/

Thanks & RIP Angel

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post