Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Chadwick Boseman has just passed away at the age of 43 from cancer, which he has been quietly fighting for a few years. Of course he played T'Challa/Black Panther in Black Panther and both Avengers. I saw his most recent film 21 Bridges some months back. I'm sure he has appeared on many cards. Very sorry to hear this one, especially since he had so much ahead of him. RIP Mr. Boseman.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's hard to believe.
So sad.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Baseball Hall of Famer Lou Brock passed away on September 6. He broke the record for stolen bases in 1977. His record was broken in 1991 by Rickey Henderson, who declared himself "the greatest." To me Henderson has more stolen bases and there's no discounting his talent but the man who held the record before will always be known as "the great Lou Brock."

The first trading card I ever pulled out of a cereal box was a 1972 Kelloggs 3-D card of Lou Brock. It's a bit bent up but I still have it.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
2020 just keeps getting worse and worse. Just read over on the BBC news site that Dame Diana Rigg has passed away at the age of 82:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-27986272

Two of the original Avengers girls gone in the same year. First Honor Blackman who was Cathy Gale now the one and only Mrs Peel Frown

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Helen Reddy and Mac Davis passed away yesterday. Both were 78 years old and both had memorable songs that get stuck in your head when you see the titles again. Get out "Delta Dawn"!. Big Grin

RIP Ms. Reddy and Mr. Davis.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Another familiar face, Conchata Ferrell, has passed away at 77. She had a long career, but is probably best known as Berta from Two and a Half Men. She could steal scenes from anyone and I knew of her work before that series.

Again, another one that makes me feel very sad. RIP Ms. Ferrell.

posted Hide Post
One of my favorite comedians Bobby Ball passed away aged 76 from covid 19. Famous for the cannon and ball duo act and more lately in the sitcom Not Going Out.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RIP James Bond

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
While I was watching football yesterday, one of the pre-game show co-hosts announced that Alex Trebek, longtime host of "Jeopardy," had passed away. He'd been fighting pancreatic cancer for years and even started the current season. He took it on and tried to keep doing his thing. Good for him.

I used to watch "Jeopardy" every night in the 80's and 90's but got out of the habit in the past 15-20 years. I started watching it again semi-regularly this year. I'm old enough to remember host, Art Fleming, and his deeper voice during the show's original run through the 60's and into the 70's. That was back when game shows and soap operas ruled weekday late mornings and early afternoons.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Mike Tilford...card collector and member of the NSU family. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Wolfie,

I knew the name but didn't know him. Todd told me he was a nice guy. It's tough to hear about the passing of someone who appeared in your favorite movies or TV shows when you were a kid but there's another kind of feeling of loss when you hear someone else who enjoyed collecting the same things you did has passed on. Even if you didn't know that person, you understood part of that person's world.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I believe did appear on a trading card that was given out at the Chicago Show some years ago.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Trading card museum did a card for him. I think hes on a philly show one as well

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the card that Todd refers to in the previous post. I did not realise I had a copy until I discovered it lurking in a Dr Who binder along with other Trading Card Museum and other cards I did not know I had. Not unusual for me as I often used to put cards in a binder I had open at the time.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Like many here, I often check Jeff Allender's site for information on all kinds of card sets. I've seen Mike Tilford acknowledged as someone who provided information at least a couple of times.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't post before because the news was too depressing. It's hard to figure something appropriate to say, but I guess it's okay to provide a minor tribute.

Mike was a good friend going back to the days of trading (and list-making), almost always "remote" by email but accessible. You may notice that he is still shown as Moderator for this very forum and others on Card Talk.

I first met Mike face to face at my very first Philly appearance (at the college in Mount Pleasant). He brought his family to the shows and they always had a great time and shared it with the rest of us. He was also a familiar face at the many DC area shows he participated in.

Even though he had largely 'retired' from active card chasing, he remained available, and I always honked my horn in recognition whenever I drove through Warrenton.

He'll always be a Legend to me.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
It has been reported Star Trek producer Herb Solow has passed away aged 89. I was only listening to the audiobook of his 'Inside Star Trek' a few days ago. He did an autograph card for Skybox's Star Trek TOS season 3.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read today that Tommy Lasorda and Ed Bruce passed away today. Lasorda was of course the longtime manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers and general ambassador for the team and the MLB in general - always good for a quote.

Ed Bruce was a country singer/songwriter and actor. He had the deep, resonant voice you heard in "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," made famous when recorded by Willie Nelson but co-written and recorded by Bruce, a hit for him as well. I remember him from his leading role in the "Bret Maverick" show that ran one season (1981-1982). He also wrote and sang the theme to that show. I liked that show. It was both a continuation of Bret Maverick's story and sort of a period piece version of the "Rockford Files" the year after that show went off the air. It even had Stuart Margolin play an "Angel Martin"-type character in a couple of episodes.

I just read that rapper/actor, Deezer D died yesterday. He was a regular on "ER" during its long run across the 90's

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Roy Horn, of Siegfried and Roy fame, has passed away at the age of 75 from COVID-19. He was the one who was bitten by a white tiger during a performance many years ago, which left him injured and ended the act. He has said that he suffered a stroke at the time, that the tiger was trying to save him and never attacked. This damn thing is really finding the vulnerable. RIP Roy.

And now his partner, Siegfried Fischbacher, has died as well. Age 81, from pancreatic cancer.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Reliable supporting actor Peter Mark Richman has passed away at 93. He appeared in many classic TV shows including Twilight Zone and Outer Limits and even Star Trek later on. He is featured in several of those card sets.