Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A favorite star for many people, Angela Lansbury has passed away at 96. Most people may remember her only for "Murder, She Wrote". but Lansbury started making movies in the 40's and was in some of the classics. DeMille's "Samson and Delilah", "National Velvet", "The Three Musketeers" and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" to name just a few. She was usually a supporting player until she became the star much later in her career.

There was something comforting about the corny stories of "Murder, She Wrote" and I can remember watching a lot of it with my family. She had a long and rewarding life, but it's still very sad to see her go.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of people got murdered in Cabot Cove. Jessica Fletcher was a serial killer.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll always remember her from the fun Disney classic 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
She was the nasty mother role in The Manchurian Candidate.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
A lot of people got murdered in Cabot Cove. Jessica Fletcher was a serial killer.

Thank you! That made me LOL.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
She was the nasty mother role in The Manchurian Candidate.

She was absolutely brilliant in that role. I love that movie.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Robbie Coltrane who played Hagrid in the Harry Potter films has died aged 72. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Robbie Coltrane was the rare actor who could not be persuaded to sign for any of the popular card sets that included him. His turns in Harry Potter and James Bond films could have produced many opportunities for autograph cards, but he refused. I don't know if he had a specific reason or just general principle, but I wish he had relented for his fans, of which I was one. RIP Mr. Coltrane.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As you probably heard, singer Aaron Carter died at 34. He was a popular teen singer 20 years ago.

Was he on any cards in the 2000s ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently Aaron was on at least 4 cards, including a 2002 Shake and Bake promo card. See below link

https://www.tcdb.com/Person.cf.../370903/Aaron-Carter

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
British comedy actor Leslie Phillips has died aged 98. He was probably best known for his appearances in the Carry On films but apparently also provided the voice for the Sorting Hat in the Harry Potter films. One of the last old school British comedians Frown

The BBC has posted a good obituary for him:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-27046868

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin F,

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't recognize the name, but when I went to the link, I knew the face. I guess there aren't too many actors left from the "Carry On" series, but Phillips had a nice long career with lots of credits.

Not a "Carry On" regular, but I remember that a young Juliet Mills was a star in one of them.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not a "Carry On" regular, but I remember that a young Juliet Mills was a star in one of them.

Carry on Jack ( 1964 )

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to the BBC, the only remaining 'regular' from the Carry On films is Jim Dale who is aged 86.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Robert Clary, best known for his role as Corporal Louis LeBeau in "Hogan's Heroes", passed away at 96. He was the last surviving member of the principal cast.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kymberly Herrin, who has a couple of Playboy cards that I don't have, and was in Ghostbusters (she gave Dan Aykroyd a hummer) and the video for ZZ Top's "Legs", has died, age 65.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that Oscar and Grammy winner, Irene Cara, passed away yesterday at the age of 63. Too young.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac has died at 79

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's a shock, you don't realize how old your idols are getting. Fleetwood Mac was like one big soap opera, but their music was great when they were together. Christine McVie was the reason for many of those songs and for the band itself.

Only Stevie Nicks did a good job of standing on her own in my opinion. I think I heard only recently that they were talking about another tour. It may not happen now; the "Chain" is broken.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Only just seen the news of Christine McVie passing away. I loved Fleetwood Mac. Rumours was one of the first albums I ever bought so I'm sad to hear one the main members is gone forever. The BBC has posted a good write up of her career:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-63812952