Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Movie star John Gavin has died at 86.

Perhaps best known today as Janet Leigh's boyfriend, in PSYCHO (1960). He was also in SPARTACUS (1960) with Kirk Douglas and many other films of that era.

He was supposed to play James Bond in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER (1971), but at the last minute, Sean Connery agreed to come back

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
1940s/50s singer Vic Damone has died at 89.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
James Bond director Lewis Gilbert died at 97

He did "You Only Live Twice" (1967), "The Spy Who Loved Me" (1977) and "Moonraker" (1979)

Also did the Michael Caine film "Alfie" (1966)

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's sad news.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Emma Chambers, who played Alice on The Vicar of Dibley, and Hugh Grant's sister in Notting Hill, died on Feb 21. This is just sad -- Alice was such a delightful character, and really made that show for me.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read the really sad news that comedian Ken Dodd has passed away at the ripe old age of 90. I still remember seeing him doing his one man show live at the Opera House in Manchester quite a few years ago. He was one of a kind and I am sure will be remembered for a long time by people of a similar age to me. Here's a link to an obituary by the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43372834

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And now, Stephen Hawking has died aged 72. Possibly best known on here for his guest appearances on The Simpsons, Star Trek and the Big Bang Theory Big Grin he was probably the World's best known scientist. A true genius in the every sense of the term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43396008

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin F,

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Local children's TV show personality (1950s to 1970s), and voice actor, Chuck McCann, passed at age 83.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_McCann

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Frank Sinatra's 1st wife, Nancy, whom he was married to from 1939 to 1951, passed at age 101.

She was the mother of his 3 kids.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Charlotte Rae, best known for the TV sit-coms "Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Facts of Life", which she starred in from 1978 to 1987, has passed at 92.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Robert Dix, best known for "Forbidden Planet" (1956), has died at 83

He was the son of 1920s-30s movie star, Richard Dix.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, died today at the age of 76.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Actress Jacqueline Pearce died today aged 74.

She made quite an impression in Blake's 7 and the Hammer Horror films.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news...ip-jacqueline-pearce

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Burt Reynolds passed away today at 82. I don't know if he signed in other sets, but he had autograph cards in 2000's Twilight Zone Next Dimension A22 and recent Archer A15. When he was at his peak, he was the biggest star in the movies. One of those actors that didn't so much act as just played the version of himself that audiences really liked. RIP Bandit.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another unforgettable British actress has taken her final bow. Fanella Fielding has passed away at the age of 90. She is best known for having the sexiest voice....ever Smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/45409341

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this is an especially sad one for anyone around during the 70's. When I heard of his passing, it was the same kind of feeling of loss as when I heard about Roger Moore, Leonard Nimoy, and Adam West. Nobody lives forever but they are immortal.

I might have to pick up a box of Archer at some point as I'm a big fan of the show. The episode he voiced as himself was a great one.

Reynolds also has an autograph in Playboy Chromium Covers Series 3. It's numbered out of 600. There's also an unreleased version of that card. He signed an unknown number of extra cards (presumably retained as replacement cards in case anyone reported a damaged card pulled from a pack). These were unreleased but at least some of them made it to the secondary market after the company went out of business. You know you have the unreleased version when you see it's blank where the serial number would be.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Burt Reynolds passed away today at 82. I don't know if he signed in other sets, but he had autograph cards in 2000's Twilight Zone Next Dimension A22 and recent Archer A15. When he was at his peak, he was the biggest star in the movies. One of those actors that didn't so much act as just played the version of himself that audiences really liked. RIP Bandit.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Burt:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Many people have commented on how much Burt looked like Marlon Brando when he did not sport his mustache. In fact, I read an article in which Burt said that so many people thought he was Brando, that he found it annoying, so he grew the facial hair

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cardaddict,

Thanks for the photos. I see the serial number isn't blank on the sample version of the Playboy Chromium Covers autograph. Either the one I had seen in person didn't have the two X's or I failed to notice them against the dark background. It's actually better to have the X's to keep someone from writing in a number after the fact with the pack-inserted autograph being more valuable than the sample.

I haven't seen the unreleased sample sell for quite a while but would put the value at $30-50; the pack-inserted autograph at $50-75.

Thanks again,

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Burt:

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, my pleasure. I read his autobiography last year and really enjoyed it.