Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Meat Loaf has died at the age of 74. Has anyone not got a copy of 'Bat Out of Hell' to listen to to commemorate his passing ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-60080934

Full obituary:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-27469244

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin F,

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comedian Louie Anderson has died at 68.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Anderson

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that Hardy Kruger died on the 19th January aged 93.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin F:
Meat Loaf has died at the age of 74. Has anyone not got a copy of 'Bat Out of Hell' to listen to to commemorate his passing ?/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think "Bat Out of Hell" was mentioned once in another thread. It's one of the greatest rock albums ever made. Meat Loaf was always active over his career, and it says he had 23 albums, but many were "live" recordings or repackaged greatest hits. I think he just peaked early and could never top it. But yeah, he has a few songs that will stick with me forever and I can always listen to them, no matter how old I get.

"So now I'm praying for the end of time to hurry up and arrive. Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you I don't think that I can really survive."

"Well it was long ago and it was far away. And it was so much better than it is today."

CLASSIC. Give 'em hell Meat Loaf.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just discovered whilst reading next week's Radio Times that Beryl Vertue died on 12th February 2022 aged 90. She had been a writer's agent, a TV and film producer and a media executive (Robert Stigwood). I don't expect that she ever appeared on a trading card but she would have been involved a lot of TV programmes most of us have watched over the years. As a writers agent she represented Spike Milligan, Tony Hancock, Galton and Simpson, Eric Sykes to name but a few involved in British comedy of the 1950/1960's. Apparently she was also responsible for exporting the layout of some of the British comedy TV shows to the US. Her daughter Sue is also a producer and her son-in-law is Steven Moffat of Dr Who and Sherlock fame and her other daughter Debbie is a director of independent television company Hartswood Films a company Beryl set up in 1979.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Gary Brooker, who sang 'A Whiter Shade of Pale', 76.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There's something about "A Whiter Shade of Pale" that grabs me every time I hear it. That one and "Nights in White Satin" from the Moody Blues. They don't write songs like that now and Gary Brooker was also the co-writer, so he will be remembered for that one alone.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Farrah Forke passed away at only 54. She has quite a few credits, most recently "Lois & Clark", but I remember her best from watching "Wings". That seems like an unlucky name for an actress. RIP Ms. Forke.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Johnny Brown passed away on March 2. He's best known from his time as a regular on "Good Times" in the mid-late 70's but he was also on "Laugh-in" before that.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that Tim Considine passed away on March 3 at age 81. He played the oldest one of "My Three Sons," the classic sitcom that ran from 1960 to 1965. Back in the early 70's, there weren't that many shows in re-runs. "My Three Sons" was one of them and we watched the whole run a few times.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Back in the early 70's, there weren't that many shows in re-runs.

????
Maybe not where you lived, but I just checked TV listings for 50 years ago in Nashville, my home town. In one day on the three network channels (that's all we had, kids), the following reruns were aired:
Real McCoys
The Lucy Show
My Three Sons
Bewitched
Family Affair
That Girl
Gomer Pyle
Gilligan's Island
Love American Style
I Dream of Jeannie
Green Acres
Andy Griffith
Dragnet
High Chapparal
Perry Mason

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's not that many shows compared to what was available by the late 70's. I don't remember "The Real McCoys" but we could watch "Petticoat Junction," "McHale's Navy," "Lost in Space," "Star Trek," and "Flipper" along with the others you listed. We had the three major networks, two PBS stations (SF and San Jose) plus local independent channels 2, 36, and 44. I guess we were unknowingly spoiled.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mitchell Ryan, the actor who played the bad guy General in "Lethal Weapon" (1987) and the dad on "Dharma and Greg" in the 90's, passed away on March 4. I just read that he was on "Dark Shadows" for a season. My mom watched that show for a while in the late 60's.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Conrad Janis, who did movies and TV from 1945 to 2012, but was perhaps best known as the father on "Mork and Mindy", has died at 94.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think this was reported on Card Talk, but Peter Robbins, who was the first voice actor to play Charlie Brown in the "Peanuts" TV specials from 1965-1969, died in January at 65. Unfortunately, he took his own life.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Emilio Delgado who played Luis on "Sesame Street" from 1969 until 2016 died last week at 81.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that Alan Ladd Jr. passed away on March 16. In the mid-70's he had just been promoted to president of 20th Century Fox when he became instrumental in getting "Star Wars" made. He gave the green light after other studios passed on it and he had to continue his support when the board of directors pushed to shut down the movie several times as it ran into various production problems. He saw what it could be, saying back then, "It took me back to the old Saturday matinees." He had greenlit "Young Frankenstein" a few years earlier, seeing the movie the way Mel Brooks did before it was made.

I remember reading about Ladd after "Star Wars" was made. He was declared a genius at the time. He was less involved with "The Empire Strikes Back" and left Fox after a falling out with the studio chairman while the movie was still in production. He started his own production company after that and he would enjoy other successes ("Chariots of Fire," "Blade Runner," "The Right Stuff,").

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Estelle Harris, best known for her role as George Costanza's Mother Estelle on Seinfeld, passed away yesterday at 93. Like her on-screen husband Jerry Stiller, she only appeared in twenty-some-odd episodes of the 180 episode series, but every one was memorable. She was also the voice of Mrs. Potato Head, which I don't think I ever knew.

The Seinfeld cast was to me the greatest collection of character actors and New York actors ever assembled. Many of the guest stars went on to do much bigger things. If only there had been a card set, what an autograph checklist that could have been. Recently quite a few of those remarkable actors have left us. RIP Ms. Harris. Mrs. Castanza will still be yelling for a long time.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard this sad news. She was fantastic as George's mom and played well off of Jerry Stiller.

Yeah, the casting of every guest star and bit player was well-done and their characters were well-written. Those actors and actresses would become known for a single appearance on Seinfeld. It seems everyone I know now watches TV shows through Netflix or some other service but I still have cable. Seinfeld still plays on a local channel after the late news and its on during the day somewhere else "on the dial" as we used to say. When the late night talk shows are in re-runs, I still flip over to Seinfeld sometimes.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Estelle Harris, best known for her role as George Costanza's Mother Estelle on Seinfeld, passed away yesterday at 93. Like her on-screen husband Jerry Stiller, she only appeared in twenty-some-odd episodes of the 180 episode series, but every one was memorable. She was also the voice of Mrs. Potato Head, which I don't think I ever knew.

The Seinfeld cast was to me the greatest collection of character actors and New York actors ever assembled. Many of the guest stars went on to do much bigger things. If only there had been a card set, what an autograph checklist that could have been. Recently quite a few of those remarkable actors have left us. RIP Ms. Harris. Mrs. Castanza will still be yelling for a long time.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Another Star Trek Original Series guest star has passed away, Katherine Hays, age 87. She was best known for the soap "As the World Turns". She did sign at least two Star Trek cards. Sadly STOS is fast becoming Twilight Zone.