Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
OH NO!!!

Monkee PETER TORK died today at the age of 77.

I was 12-13 yrs old when that show was first run and it helped to transform me (music & fashion) into a cool kid LOL

Peter did a nice job on vocals on the Monkees song SHADES OF GRAY which has always been my favorite.

Who else has Monkee memories?

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I watched the show when it first came on. I liked it a lot and even got The Monkees Greatest Hits LP eventually, which I still have.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Will the real Davy Jones please stand up."

"I am standing up."

[their quick spoof of a contemporary game show, "To Tell the Truth," needling Jones about his height as well]

My brother and I caught the show sometimes when it was an afternoon rerun in the early 70's.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They found Clark Gable's grandson, age 30, dead in Texas.

He was a struggling actor, looked a little bit like his famous grandfather, of "Gone With the Wind" fame.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Beverly Owen of the Munsters has passed away.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
André Previn has passed away at 89. Although I know he was a great musician, composer and conductor, I suspect I will not be alone in remembering his classic appearance on the Morecambe and Wise Show here in the UK many years ago. Along with camoes in subsequent shows. One of the greatest musicians in the 20th century. Something I didn;t know before reading this article about him was that he had picked up no less than 4 oscars. I will miss him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-17342940

I very much doubt if he has ever appeared on a Trading Card.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Katherine Helmond died at 89. Loved her in "Whose the Boss" and "Soap."

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wasn't he married to Mia Farrow in the 1970s ?

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
André Previn has passed away at 89. Although I know he was a great musician, composer and conductor, I suspect I will not be alone in remembering his classic appearance on the Morecambe and Wise Show here in the UK many years ago. Along with camoes in subsequent shows. One of the greatest musicians in the 20th century. Something I didn;t know before reading this article about him was that he had picked up no less than 4 oscars. I will miss him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-17342940

I very much doubt if he has ever appeared on a Trading Card.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just read in the papers that King Kong Bundy died two days ago. He was 63.

I met him once in around 1995 or 1996. I came across him in a card store not far from my home and I didn't go for him. I just always stopped by a couple of times a week back then.

It really wasn't a signing, but the owner knew him and he was signing, if you can follow that. Big Grin It wasn't announced, he had no photos and they were taking Polaroid instant photos and he was signing the bottom.

Not very well planned, so of course no one was there when I walked. Long story short, I hung around for a good 20 minutes talking to him and got a signed Polaroid, which I still have.

Couldn't recall the conversation, some wrestling talk I think, but he really wasn't active at that point, sort of not quite retired. I just remember that I was surprised at how soft spoken an well spoken he was. The dangers of believing the persona, Bundy was always the villain and he was massive.

In person he wasn't just tall, he was wide all around and not in a well built way, just huge. In that photo that I just pulled out I was dwarfed by him standing next to me and I had on winter clothes too. Anyway he seemed like a nice man and nothing like what you would think from his ring appearances. He is on many wrestling cards and was well known as one of the classics. I am happy I got to briefly cross his path. RIP Mr. Bundy.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jan-Michael Vincent has died at 74.

Best known for action films in the 1970s and 80s, including the TV show "Airwolf"

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say that Georgia Engel passed away at the age of 70.

She had a long career, but is best known for recurring roles in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Coach, and Everybody Loves Raymond. A lady who's characters seemed to always be sweet and funny. RIP Georgette.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sadly, "Boyz n the Hood" director John Singleton died today, at a young 51, after suffering a stroke.

Between 1993 and 2005, he also directed "Poetic Justice", "Higher Learning", "Shaft", "2 Fast 2 Furious", "Four Brothers", and a few other movies.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Italian film director Franco Zeffrelli has died at the age of 96:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48648278

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Denise Nickerson, famous for the 1971 "Willy Wonka" movie, has died at age 62.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
NASA Flight Director Chris Kraft (the character played by Ed Harris in Apollo 13) died today, age 95.

I thought he had a card in a recent set, but can't find one.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
screw-up

In Apollo 13, Ed Harris played Gene Kranz, not Chris Kraft.

But in the From Earth to the Moon miniseries, Stephen Root played Kraft.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rutger Hauer, probably best known and most famous for his role as a replicant in the original Blade Runner, has died at the age of 75.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-49098435

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have just discovered that Jeremy Kemp died on 19th July. Here is a copy of some of his films taken from Wikipedia.

His films include Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Operation Crossbow, The Blue Max, Darling Lili, A Bridge Too Far, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, Top Secret! and Four Weddings and a Funeral. He was also in Star Trek'

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Two more stars from my early years have departed. British comedy actress Sheila Staefel at 84:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv...ila-steafel-obituary

and American comedy star Valerie Harper at 80:

https://www.hollywoodreporter....rn-dies-at-80-427004

Not sure if either have ever featured on cards but both are stored in my memories Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
Two more stars from my early years have departed. British comedy actress Sheila Staefel at 84:
and American comedy star Valerie Harper at 80:
Not sure if either have ever featured on cards but both are stored in my memories Smile

Sheila Steafel signed trading cards for Strickly Ink cards Doctor Who:Big Screen and Hammer Horror 2.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post