Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Gilbert Gottfried has passed away at 67. Apparently, the same type of thing as Norm. He was sick for years.

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Shortly after the death of Estelle Harris, Liz Sheridan has passed away at 93. Sheridan played Jerry's Mother on Seinfeld and Harris was of course George's Mother.

Sheridan had a long career as a character actress. Something that people may not have heard, even though it was mentioned in her book, was that Sheridan was James Dean's good friend back in the 50's.

All of the "parents" are now gone. Seinfeld had a large cast with many guests and some partially recurring characters. The last couple of years have been especially sad for fans of this series.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just heard of the passing of Naomi Judd at 76. She of course sang with her daughter Wynonna as The Judds and is also the mother of actress Ashley Judd. The cause given right now is mental illness.

I really can't remember too many of their songs because The Judds were hard core Country to my ears, but they had a very good run before quitting in 1991 and are in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Two more deaths of familiar TV faces on the same day, April 29th. not mentioned.

Joanna Barnes 87 and David Birney 83 have passed away. She was in a whole slew of shows in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but is cited mostly for her roles in both versions of The Parent Trap movies.

Birney starred in the one season "hit" "Bridget Loves Bernie" and married and divorced his co-star, Meredith Baxter. He went on to do many other TV parts.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just heard that one of my best loved TV stars has passed away. Dennis Waterman was best known for his tough guy role in 'The Sweeney' and his comedy role in 'Minder'. Very sorry to hear he has gone at the relatively young age of 74.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-61372712

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember "Bridget Loves Bernie." My parents were watching it and it was a popular show but it lasted just one season. The Birneys were on game shows too as I recall. Sadly, their marriage ended years later.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Two more deaths of familiar TV faces on the same day, April 29th. not mentioned.

Joanna Barnes 87 and David Birney 83 have passed away. She was in a whole slew of shows in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but is cited mostly for her roles in both versions of The Parent Trap movies.

Birney starred in the one season "hit" "Bridget Loves Bernie" and married and divorced his co-star, Meredith Baxter. He went on to do many other TV parts.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
Just heard that one of my best loved TV stars has passed away. Dennis Waterman was best known for his tough guy role in 'The Sweeney' and his comedy role in 'Minder'. Very sorry to hear he has gone at the relatively young age of 74.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-61372712

Sorry to hear this. He was great fun in "New Tricks". When he left the show, as one of the last from the original cast, the series just fell apart and was cancelled not long afterwards.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A highly underrated actor, James Olson, has passed away at 91. He didn't have the movie star looks for his time, so he got pushed into the guest star roles, but when he was allowed to headline, he could carry it as good as anybody. I remember him best in "The Andromeda Strain", "Paper Man" and the obscure space western "Moon Zero Two".

We have a streak going on with these familiar elder actors and it's getting very sad.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Another favorite actor of mine, Fred Ward, passed away May 8th at 79. He had a long career, including "The Right Stuff", but I enjoyed him in the first two "Tremors" best because he acted like he was having fun too.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those "Tremors" movies were good/funny. I'm sorry to hear of Ward's passing.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Another favorite actor of mine, Fred Ward, passed away May 8th at 79. He had a long career, including "The Right Stuff", but I enjoyed him in the first two "Tremors" best because he acted like he was having fun too.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that Oscar-winning composer, Vangelis, passed away on May 17 at the age of 79. His most famous work was probably the scores for "Chariots of Fire," which won the Oscar, and "Blade Runner." His music was also featured in the original "Cosmos" (1980) PBS documentary series hosted by Carl Sagan.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just heard that Brad Johnson, perhaps best known for the 1989 Steven Spielberg film "Always", has died of COVID complications at 62.

Unfortunately, his career never really took off and by the early 1990s he was doing straight to video action films and then later TV guest appearances.

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that British author, Jack Higgins, passed away on April 9th, this year. His most famous novel is probably "The Eagle has Landed" (1975) which was made into a popular movie. I remember "Night of the Fox" was new when I started working in a bookstore in 1986. That was made into a movie as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jim Seals of 70's easy rock group, Seals & Crofts, passed away on June 6. "Summer Breeze" was their huge hit but "Diamond Girl" and "Hummingbird" were still heard on radio stations into the 90's, but at some point, 70's music started to be considered oldies along with the Beatles. These days, you might hear "Summer Breeze" every once in a while.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A man whose name I did not know, but whose face I recognized instantly, veteran character actor Philip Baker Hall has passed away at 90. He has a whole host of acting credits, mainly on TV, including the memorable role of library investigator Mr. Bookman on Seinfeld. So another guest star from that series who has died in recent months. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comic book artist Tim Sale has died at 66. He did many famous Batman and Superman comics, and many other things, since the 1990s.

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Comic book artist Tim Sale has died at 66. He did many famous Batman and Superman comics, and many other things, since the 1990s.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's some other work Tim Sale did. A Christmas card, a sample of the art in the Heroes set (Topps, 2008) and a card he did for the "Detective Comics #1000 Decades Collector Cards" promo set given out at WonderCon 2019.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Mary Mara died while swimming in the St Lawrence River on Sunday the 26th.

Her list of credits seem to be all over the place but some that were represented by card sets include Dexter, LOST, Star Trek Enterprise and Farscape.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that Gregory Jein passed away last month. He wasn't an actor or writer. He was part of sometimes Oscar-nominated visual effects teams as a model maker and space ship designer. He worked on the mother ship in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and several Star Trek projects from a Star Trek TV show in the 70's that didn't end up getting made to Star Trek Insurrection (2002). We might not mention every person who has worked on a show that has been covered by cards but I also read that he collected comic books and TV/movie memorabilia so he probably had some cards so he was one of us.