Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Cindy Williams at 75. "Laverne and Shirley" kept a lot of us entertained. She appeared on many cards. Pretty bummed out with all these favorites passing away. RIP Ms. Williams.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I learned of her passing on the crawl running during the late news. The first thing I saw her in was "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley." Years later, I watched "The Conversation," a fantastic movie. It was whiplash for me seeing her in such a serious movie, knowing her only as "Shirley" up to that point. I didn't see her in many other shows or movies. If you haven't seen "The Conversation," check it out.

I did see her last year. She appeared on "Collectors's Call." I missed part of what she said but she talked about still having Shirley's stuffed animal from the show.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Cindy Williams at 75. "Laverne and Shirley" kept a lot of us entertained. She appeared on many cards. Pretty bummed out with all these favorites passing away. RIP Ms. Williams.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
If you haven't seen "The Conversation," check it out.

You can make an argument that Gene Hackman's character in "Enemy of the State" is the same one as in "The Conversation". In "Enemy of the State", Hackman's ID photo is flashed on the screen, and it is taken from "The Conversation".

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, I noticed he was playing pretty much the older version of that guy. I didn't make the connection on the ID. I've seen "The Conversation" only once but have seeh "Enemy of the State" a few times.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
If you haven't seen "The Conversation," check it out.

You can make an argument that Gene Hackman's character in "Enemy of the State" is the same one as in "The Conversation". In "Enemy of the State", Hackman's ID photo is flashed on the screen, and it is taken from "The Conversation".

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had a small conversation with Roger Ebert about these movies once:

https://www.rogerebert.com/ans...-answer-man-12131998

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I hope this is a premature obituary, but I don't know where else to put it right now. British actor Julian Sands, who I have watched in quite a few films, is missing and may be dead. He disappeared on January 13th while hiking or climbing around Mount Baldy in California.

He is actually a non sport obituary with a Gotham autograph card. I have been waiting for an official word but yeah, it is difficult to imagine the best after all this time.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Melinda Dillon, the mom on A Christmas Story, has died at 83. She was also in Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sad news. I remember her from "Absence of Malice" too - great movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Melinda Dillon, the mom on A Christmas Story, has died at 83. She was also in Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I didn't know he had a Q/A with fans on his site like that.

Siskel and Ebert had a great concept going - similar to a comedy team. I watched the old "Sneak Previews" show on PBS and then the show they did afterward.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I had a small conversation with Roger Ebert about these movies once:

https://www.rogerebert.com/ans...-answer-man-12131998

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Charlie Thomas of The Drifters, popular in the 1950s and 60s, has passed at 85.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Burt Bacharach, one of the greatest and best known songwriters of the 20th Century, has died at the age of 94 Frown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-11573995

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Austin Majors, a child star who played Andy Sipowicz's son on "NYPD Blue" from 1999 to 2004, passed away at 27, apparently in a homeless facility in CA.

He did TV work through the 2000s, but did not make it into adult roles.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Richard Belzer, who started off in comedy and then became equally well know in the drama "Law and Order: SVU", has passed away at 78.

It feels like celebrity obits are a daily occurrence. Shake Head

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Sad news that the sketch card artist Wu Wei passed away, on 28th Jan - aged 53.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Sad news that the sketch card artist Wu Wei passed away, on 28th Jan - aged 53.

That is sad news indeed, a big talent lost at such an early age. Frown

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that manga and anime creator, Leiji Matsumoto, passed away on February 14. He directed the Japanese 1970's show "Space Battleship Yamoto" which was translated and edited for American audiences as "Star Blazers," first shown in the U.S. in 1979. My brothers and I watched it on "Captain Cosmic," a local kids' show that would host episodes of shows we didn't see elsewhere. The first time I saw "Captain Scarlett" and "Ultraman" was on "Captain Cosmic."

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Len Goodman of "Dancing With the Stars" has scored his last samba at 78. I haven't watched that show for years and years, but it was harmless fun for the first two or three seasons.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just popped up, Jerry Springer has passed away at 79. This surprised me a lot for some reason. Maybe because his show was always so wacky, it wasn't like any real life.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
April Stevens, the singer who had the # 1 hit "Deep Purple" in 1963, with her brother, Nino Tempo, has died at age 93.

I believe that this song was # 1 on the charts the day that John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The song was already a standard by the time they recorded it, but their version is one that stays with you once you've heard it.

Some good lookin' people, for sure:

Rest in peace, Carol Vincinette LoTempio...

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post