Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Obituaries

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/2837086376

April 14, 2015, 01:36 PM
Bill Mullins
Obituaries
Longtime Marvel comics artist Herb Trimpe died.

His artwork appeared on numerous trading cards.
April 14, 2015, 03:05 PM
H_Toser
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Longtime Marvel comics artist Herb Trimpe died.

His artwork appeared on numerous trading cards.

That's a shame. Trimpe is up for a Rondo Award right now for his work on the IDW comic Dinosaurs Attack with Gary Gerani and Ned Norem.

Rondo Awards

I just posted about the awards yesterday so his name was already on my mind.

April 14, 2015, 05:59 PM
chesspieceface
A fine artist and superb at his craft 'til the end. Here's a little something from earlier in his career:

And his homage to it, for the limited edition 2014 Hero Initiative Overstreet Guide:

Rest in peace, Herb Trimpe, and my sympathies to his family, friends, and fellow fans...

April 15, 2015, 01:29 PM
Bill Mullins
Comic book artist Irwin Hasen died Mar 13 at age 96. He had a card in the Eclipse 1993 "Famous Comic Book Creators 1993 Update" set.

Musician Milton DeLugg died April 6 at age 96. He had been the musical director of "The Gong Show", and likely appears in the background of a card or two in that set.
April 15, 2015, 03:28 PM
chesspieceface
I also wanted to mention that actor Geoffrey Lewis, who may be best known as Philo Beddoe's partner in the Eastwood movies "Every Which Way But Loose" and its followup, passed away last week.
Lewis also met a memorable end in the original 1970's "Salem's Lot" miniseries, and has scores of credits besides those.
He was also the father of the Oscar nominated Juliette Lewis, so you can see where she got her chops.

Rest in peace Geoffrey, Irwin, and Milton.
I'll catch you down the line, players....

April 16, 2015, 12:28 AM
Bill Mullins
I saw that Lewis had passed away, but I couldn't find any connection to non-sports cards so I didn't mention it here.
April 16, 2015, 08:45 PM
chesspieceface
Whoops, sorry about that. Here is Mr. Lewis on Inkworks card #10 from the "X-Files S6&7" set(2001), for the Season 6 episode "Tithonus" written by Vince Gilligan, later to create "Breaking Bad"

April 17, 2015, 12:34 AM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:

Trimpe is up for a Rondo Award right now for his work on the IDW comic Dinosaurs Attack with Gary Gerani and Ned Norem.

Over at the Vintage NS Forum, Kurt Kursteiner pointed out that Trimpe pencilled the art for many of the Dinosaurs Attack cards.

Here is his Wrapper article about the card set, with some quotes from Trimpe.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Here is Mr. Lewis on Inkworks card #10 from the "X-Files S6&7" set(2001), for the Season 6 episode "Tithonus"

Glad that you were able to make the connection. (and I'm not surprised, really; Lewis was a very prolific actor)
April 17, 2015, 01:48 AM
chesspieceface
Herb Trimpe also drew the pencil art for these classic "Unpublished 11" cards from the 1994 Topps Mars Attacks Archives set.

He was one of the greats...

April 17, 2015, 08:55 AM
H_Toser
The art on Card 62 above was used for the cover of one of NSU's issues (in July of 1994)

April 17, 2015, 09:38 PM
chesspieceface
I remember buying that one off the rack when it was newly issued at our only fairly recently closed Shake Head local comic store.

I get my NSU with my regular comic order through a mail subscription service these days, but I do remember those days on the way to the store hoping it hadn't sold out yet. I haven't missed an issue in over 20 years, glad to say.

April 17, 2015, 10:58 PM
H_Toser
quote:
I remember buying that one off the rack when it was newly issued at our only fairly recently closed Shake Head local comic store.

I get my NSU with my regular comic order through a mail subscription service these days, but I do remember those days on the way to the store hoping it hadn't sold out yet. I haven't missed an issue in over 20 years, glad to say.

Cool story. Too bad the shop has closed though. The card image is a cool one and made for a great cover (if I do say so myself).

April 22, 2015, 05:33 PM
Bill Mullins
Mary Doyle Keefe, the model for Norman Rockwell's 1943 Rosie the Riveter painting has died. She was 92.

Rockwell's painting was in the 1993 Comic Images "Norman Rockwell" set.
April 29, 2015, 02:16 PM
Bill Mullins
Suzanne Crough, who played the youngest daughter on The Partridge Family, has passed away.

May 03, 2015, 11:10 PM
Obi Wan Chrisobi
startrek.com and other sources are reporting the passing of Grace Lee Whitney on May 1 at the age of 85. Whitney is best remembered as Yeoman Janice Rand on the original Star Trek series. RIP.

May 04, 2015, 10:44 PM
MarcG
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
startrek.com and other sources are reporting the passing of Grace Lee Whitney on May 1 at the age of 85. Whitney is best remembered as Yeoman Janice Rand on the original Star Trek series. RIP.

Star Trek actress Grace Lee Whitney dies at 85

May 15, 2015, 10:26 AM
Bill Mullins
Bluesman B. B. King died yesterday at age 89 in Las Vegas. He appeared on a couple of trading cards.

May 16, 2015, 12:53 AM
NL
Got a chance to see him in 2013 and meet him. Was so nice to fans and though limited physically, could still play like nobody's business.

BB King may be gone, but the thrill of listening to his music still lives on.

RIP

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Bluesman B. B. King died yesterday at age 89 in Las Vegas. He appeared on a couple of trading cards.

May 16, 2015, 01:12 AM
chesspieceface
Rare indeed that someone could sing AND play the way B.B. could. He was still doing concerts up until just a month or two ago if I'm not mistaken, so at least when it was time for him, it happened relatively fast.

Rest in Peace, B.B King, a true legend.

"Maybe I was wrong to ever let you down,
But I did what I did before love came to town."

May 16, 2015, 03:07 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
Rare indeed that someone could sing AND play the way B.B. could.

Funny trivia: BB King couldn't sing and play at the same time. Thus was born his trademark style.

He was indeed playing right up to the end. This is one legend I'll always wish I had gotten a chance to see perform live.

But his music will be with us forever. Thank You BB King!

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal