Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I heard about Stiller's passing earlier today and was sad to hear it as well. I am just old enough to remember "Stiller and Meara." My earliest TV memories come from the early 70's, watching cartoons, afternoon re-reruns (I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island), and afternoon talk shows (Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas - years before the time of Oprah and Phil Donahue). I think it was on those talk shows that I saw Stiller and Meara.

Like most people, I became aware of "Seinfeld" as it was catching fire around its third season. My favorite Frank Costanza episode might have to be the one where George is the "bad boy." "Is this your Fiber-Con?" The confrontation between Frank and Elaine at the end is still hilarious (there is also an outtake clip in which Elaine/Julia Louis Dreyfuss can't stop cracking up during the scene).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95tj5O0voU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YYUQTvf6k

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In the middle of all this stress, this one really makes me feel bad.

Jerry Stiller just passed away at 92, natural causes.

Not too many people go back far enough to remember the time of the Stiller and Meara act and I don't either. But just about everyone knew him from his two signature TV fathers, Frank Costanza on Seinfeld and Arthur Spooner on King of Queens. His wife Anne Meara, who died in 2015, also guested on King of Queens. They worked in TV and films throughout their lives starting in the mid-50s. They both guest starred on dozens of TV shows. How many actors have had that kind of career for that long?

I am a big fan of both those big series and Jerry Stiller made his supporting role as important as those of any main cast member. He didn't do it with the punch lines like so many other comedians, he did it with the character. He played the character straight and we laughed because we knew him.

I was surprised to see that where Stiller appeared in 195 episodes of King of Queens, he only appeared in 26 episodes of Seinfeld. That's nearly every episode of KoQ and just over one season's worth of shows for the 9 season Seinfeld. Yet I can probably name every one of his appearances, especially since Seinfeld still plays nightly in NY. The one we all know, Festavist For The Rest of Us.

The world is a sad place now and it feels even sadder for the passing of someone we all felt we knew. Rest in peace Stiller and Meara.

Posts: 1282 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I remember Stiller and Meara quite well, but I have still to watch an episode of Seinfeld.

Posts: 2039 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know if he has a Trade card.

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: May 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heard yesterday that Taryn Power passed away from leukemia at the age of only 67 on 26th June. She was Tyrone Power's daughter.

As I am currently working through all of Ray Harryhausen's films to celebrate his centenary on the 29th June, this news prompted me to watch 'Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger' in which she played the part of Dione.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that Linda Cristal of High Chapparal fame died on 27th June aged 86. She is pictured in the High Chapparal set issued by A & BC cards. Unfortunately due to Covid-19 restrictions I am unable to access some of my card collection and therefore unable to post a picture. Perhaps one of you intrepid internet users can find sa suitable image.

regards

John

Posts: 1590 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Ennio Morricone has died aged 91. Frown

Posts: 28092 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Broadway actor Nick Cordero passed away yesterday after months of hospitalization for complications following his having contracted the Corona virus. He was only 41.

I hadn't known his name before, but like so many people was sadden by the reports of his constant setbacks and had hoped for the best. My condolences to his friends and family. RIP Mr. Cordero.

Posts: 7729 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post