Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avengers
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Absolutely brilliant film, watching all the superheroes under one banner was no less than a visual treat, loved it!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magdalene123,

Posts: 6 | Location: USA | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Finally saw this and thought it was pretty good, but I'm just not a big Avengers fan overall.

Personally I think Black Widow is pretty useless, what can she actually do? She knows martial arts, is that it? Hawkeye just shoots arrows (sounds just like Green Arrow), what happens when he runs out?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
Finally saw this and thought it was pretty good, but I'm just not a big Avengers fan overall.

Personally I think Black Widow is pretty useless, what can she actually do? She knows martial arts, is that it? Hawkeye just shoots arrows (sounds just like Green Arrow), what happens when he runs out?

Did you watch all the film? It did show what happened when he run out.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I did watch it all. All I remember as him using an arrow as a grappler of some kind to escape, but it's all a bit vague.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well after wanting to see this for so long I finally watched it on DVD. I can't believe how disappointed I was, probably because I had heard so many good things that I assumed I would love it. I did enjoy Ironman, not so much Ironman 2, and I was surprised by how much I liked Thor. I didn't see Captain America or either one of the Hulks. I like all of the actors in the Avengers, especially Tim Hiddleston, so I was ready for the best superhero movie of them all. Now here are THE SPOILERS, so don't read any farther unless you want to know movie details.

Despite the good acting and the inpressive special effects this film was like watching 2 1/2 hours of WWE. It was a steel cage match with no winners between every character and the plot boils down to the moral of one for all, all for one. Let's see if I can remember more than half of the fight set pieces:

Loki vs Hawkeye, Hawkeye vs Black Widow, Black Widow vs Hulk, Hulk vs Thor, Thor vs Iron Man, Ironman vs Captain America, Captain America vs Loki, Thor vs Loki, Hulk vs Loki, S.H.I.E.L.D vs Loki, all the Avengers vs Loki and Hawkeye and all the Avengers, including Hawkeye, vs Loki and the Alien Invaders. There were random gunfights and I think I may have missed a couple of combinations, but until the big climax everyone kept getting smashed and getting up again. Big Grin

If you want to talk about what passes for plot logic, what exactly does Loki do? So far I can't figure out his power in two movies. He is a God and a master of magic, but at critical moments does nothing at all. The Hulk smashes him like a ragdoll with no resistance. He can enslave Hawkeye and the Professor, but attempts to control no one else but a half hearted attempt at Ironman in the end. What was the eyeball attack in Germany about, except to invoke some Nazi referrences? All you get from Loki is that he's jealous and that is not a good villian.

The Hulk was a great character and Mark Ruffolo did a fine acting job, but the Hulk is supposed to be out of control. He is willing to attack Black Widow and Thor, he is so unstable as to wreck the aircraft if he could. Yet at the climax he is a wonderful team player who knows to only kill Aliens and Loki. Did I miss something here, Captain America was giving him orders! Roll Eyes

I really could go on for quite awhile, including the stupidity of the whole S.H.I.E.L.D set up, but you get the idea that I really was not happy with something I thought I would like. There was a Sean Connery movie called League of Extraordinary Gentleman that is similar to the Avengers. It had its flaws and got pretty bad press, but I like it anyway. I would watch it over the Avengers any day, and I can't believe I'm saying that given the money that went into Avengers and the even more money it made.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of what you said, but we have to remember...it's just a movie based on a comic book. Good for brainless entertainment. That's all.

PS: I love the reference to WWE. Wink

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I've learned not to but too much into what others say about a movie, so there's usually not such a let down. Yet I wonder if we watched the same movie Raven. They implied that Banner was becoming more in control. And Hollywood is making movies for the money, so they have to try to please as many movie goers as possible, which they did, so they're not overly concerned what comic guys are expecting.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
I've learned not to but too much into what others say about a movie, so there's usually not such a let down. Yet I wonder if we watched the same movie Raven. They implied that Banner was becoming more in control. And Hollywood is making movies for the money, so they have to try to please as many movie goers as possible, which they did, so they're not overly concerned what comic guys are expecting.

Well we watched the same movie, but not the same way, and its the opposite, I'm not a comic guy at all. I think the Avengers was made for the fanboys, but also for the fans of some pretty good actors. I had no trouble with the premise, just the logic of the story, and there always has to be consistent logic to any story, no matter how fantastic it may be.

Besides the cartoon fights, what I objected to was that the story didn't stick to its own rules, or even try to explain the rules. The Hulk is wrecking everything in sight in one scene and then, as per your argument, Banner can completely control him in the next. Loki has great power, than he has none. Someone wants to drop a nuke on New York at a minute's notice just so by chance Ironman can turn around and have something to send up the vortex.

By the way, have you ever been to NYC? That whole climax with the cops, and the people and the buildings, was pure hokum. And why do so many movie aliens and monsters pick on NYC anyway? Can't they find a quiet corn field anymore? Roll Eyes

Yeah you're right, I'm in a small minority on this one and they will bring back the Avengers for the money, but it won't be my money next time. Wink

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've been to NYC.
Yes, I'm always right. Wink
Yes, Hulk lost it at the beginning, but they managed to show Banner controlling the Hulk at the end.
Like a book, maybe a little imagination is needed.
There's two reasons they pick on NYC in Avengers.
1) It's one of the most known/familiar cities in the USA/World.
2) The Marvel Universe is based in NYC.
Yes, you're the minority. Avengers broke many records.
Good call on not seeing the sequel, since you didn't like this one.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post