Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
So sorry to learn that Roddy Piper just passed away at the age of 61. He had a sudden heart attack.

I met the man at a hobby store signing back nearly 3 years ago. He had a good line, mostly kids, parents and wrestling fans. He was wearing his trademark black leather jacket and plaid kilt. Another man would have looked stupid, but he could carry the thing off. He talked to everyone, took pictures and if he wasn't genuinely happy to be there you couldn't tell. Big Grin

When it was my turn I told him that I didn't really watch much wrestling, but I wanted to see him in person because I really enjoyed some of his movies. Well he laughed pretty good at that and so did I. He was not the best actor and most of those few movies in which he starred were awfully bad. Yet he still had charm in them and he knew enough just to make it entertaining. They Live was probably his best film.

So we said a few words and laughed again about his film career and I repeated how nice it was to get to meet him in person. We took a couple of pictures together and I left with two signed 8 x 10s. Money well spent.

I remembered that day today. Rest in peace Roddy.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that fond remembrance of him, Raven. I'm sure you're not alone today with lovely stories like that one made bittersweet by today's news.

Rest in peace, oh Rowdy One, you were one of the best...

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dru'sgarden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So sorry to learn that Roddy Piper just passed away at the age of 61. He had a sudden heart attack.

I met the man at a hobby store signing back nearly 3 years ago. He had a good line, mostly kids, parents and wrestling fans. He was wearing his trademark black leather jacket and plaid kilt. Another man would have looked stupid, but he could carry the thing off. He talked to everyone, took pictures and if he wasn't genuinely happy to be there you couldn't tell. Big Grin

When it was my turn I told him that I didn't really watch much wrestling, but I wanted to see him in person because I really enjoyed some of his movies. Well he laughed pretty good at that and so did I. He was not the best actor and most of those few movies in which he starred were awfully bad. Yet he still had charm in them and he knew enough just to make it entertaining. They Live was probably his best film.

So we said a few words and laughed again about his film career and I repeated how nice it was to get to meet him in person. We took a couple of pictures together and I left with two signed 8 x 10s. Money well spent.

I remembered that day today. Rest in peace Roddy.

WOW, you are SOOO lucky!!! I wish I'd been able to meet him. I used to love it when he'd do the Piper's Pitt segment between wrestling matches. He was SO crazy and nuts. AND FUNNY. Oh yeah, I'm sure he had a great personality. I also remember him doing the "Wife Swap" TV show not too long ago. That was something...seeing how him and his family live on & off camera, and how the other wife related to him...that part wasn't so good. But I think "They Live" ended up with some kinda cult following. I loved the music, and how the aliens were in black & white, and would talk into their watches. GOOD movie!!! Thanks for the memories. Smile

Posts: 495 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post