Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who
 Login/Join

NSU Elf
posted
Who is watching the new season of Doctor Who?

These first two episodes are better than just about all of last season.

I don't have a problem with a female Doctor, it was unfortunate that her first season it seemed like every episode was some big social statement. I just want to see aliens, not be educated on social issues. The last episode did do it at the end but it wasn't too bad. Waiting for the episode where Daleks are confronted with bullying and see the error of their ways.

Have watched the show since the early 80's and they replayed every episode that was still around at the time so have seen them all from first doctor to today. Is there a reason why they don't replay any of the original shows that still exist? No idea how many episodes were lost but there has to be a good amount still around. Do not like the cartoon recreated episodes at all. Would rather they just let them stay gone.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
All the new (2005+) shows are free to watch in the UK on the BBC iPlayer. In the USA they have done a exclusive deal with HBO max for those shows.

All the earlier shows (60s-80s) are on a newly launched streaming service called Britbox in the UK. This service has been around in the USA for a while, but does not contain every story.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm watching the new season and loving it!

I won't comment on last season's "social messaging" other than to say that horror and sci-fi has always had that as an underlying theme, albeit more subtle. Do agree on just liking the classic story lines with aliens, though. My favorite episode from last season was Kerblam!

I think this season is off to a great start and looking forward to the next episode! Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
...I think this season is off to a great start and looking forward to the next episode! Smile

I thought having an old fashioned crazy villain seemed refreshing. Actor Sacha Dhawan was great in the role, I hope we'll see him again.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
I loved seeing the return of an old companion last Sunday, even though it was quite brief. I also loved seeing the Doctor's old Tardis again.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
All the new (2005+) shows are free to watch in the UK on the BBC iPlayer. In the USA they have done a exclusive deal with HBO max for those shows.

All the earlier shows (60s-80s) are on a newly launched streaming service called Britbox in the UK. This service has been around in the USA for a while, but does not contain every story.

I just might have to consider the pay services mentioned. The gap between seasons is too long and I need to get my fix!

Looks like BBC is slowly releasing some of the original seasons on DVD. Might be worth it to pick them up as they become available.

quote:
I loved seeing the return of an old companion last Sunday, even though it was quite brief. I also loved seeing the Doctor's old Tardis again.

Another great episode, real interesting twist. Does that old companion ever age Big Grin ? Also agree with you about the old Tardis, never liked the `steampunk' design of the controls.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
I just might have to consider the pay services mentioned. The gap between seasons is too long and I need to get my fix!

Looks like BBC is slowly releasing some of the original seasons on DVD. Might be worth it to pick them up as they become available.

The original seasons are being released on Blu-ray disc, and they are terrific, a real labour of love for the team producing them. There is a huge amount of commentaries, documentaries and other features on each disc. My favourite so far is the Jon Pertwee set.
quote:
Another great episode, real interesting twist. Does that old companion ever age Big Grin ? Also agree with you about the old Tardis, never liked the `steampunk' design of the controls.

In real life ********** has embraced his grey hair, whereas Bradley Walsh(Graham) does not appear to have any grey hair on his daily quiz show, strange that. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, I believe that I read somewhere that the original, 1963-1989 show consisted of about 694 episodes, and as of today approximately 97 of them are missing.

Of the 97 missing episodes, most of them are from Seasons 3 to 5 (1965-1968). 79 of the 97 missing episodes are from those years.

quote:
Who is watching the new season of Doctor Who?

These first two episodes are better than just about all of last season.

I don't have a problem with a female Doctor, it was unfortunate that her first season it seemed like every episode was some big social statement. I just want to see aliens, not be educated on social issues. The last episode did do it at the end but it wasn't too bad. Waiting for the episode where Daleks are confronted with bullying and see the error of their ways.

Have watched the show since the early 80's and they replayed every episode that was still around at the time so have seen them all from first doctor to today. Is there a reason why they don't replay any of the original shows that still exist? No idea how many episodes were lost but there has to be a good amount still around. Do not like the cartoon recreated episodes at all. Would rather they just let them stay gone.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Overall great season. Now the long wait Frown

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
The Christmas episode has already been filmed, but filming on series 13 does not start until September. Mad

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
The next episodes are due November 2023, so quite a wait. However, it will on Disney+ outside the UK, so that should go down well with the US fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o16_t55uwI

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Classic Dr Who will be back on the BBC iPlayer soon,

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/..._who_on_iplayer.html

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whilst this is indeed great news i'm not quite sure how the people who have spent a fortune on dvd's from the bbc will feel about it.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Whilst this is indeed great news i'm not quite sure how the people who have spent a fortune on dvd's from the bbc will feel about it.
Well, I for one am not bothered. I have most of the DVDs and blu-rays that the BBC have released over the years for Doctor Who. I view them as part of my collection. It will be quite nice to watch an old episode I haven't seen for years without having to try to remember where my physical copy is. I was more upset when the BBC only initially made the classic series available through Britbox. I wasn't going to pay out three times to watch them, twice was more than enough Big Grin

Note: by twice I mean money for the DVDs and blu-rays plus all of the years I have been paying out for a TV licence which was the source of funding to make the original programmes Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:

For those in USA & Canada:

https://www.doctorwhonews.net/...reaming_on_tubi.html