Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Lenticular Covers on DC Comics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lenticular Covers on DC Comics
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
This Week starts the beginning of Villians month for DC Comics ,

There will be 52 comics that have a Lenticular comic cover that feature 1 of the DC Universe Villians

Posts: 1176 | Location: Rochester , NY , USA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I saw these in Previews and while I don't get too many superheroes comics anymore, these sounded interesting so I pre-ordered up a few. Hopefully, I'll get them. I heard they ended up getting massive orders for them and cancelling some of the original orders. I have a pretty good subscription service so maybe they'll come through. We do pay a couple of months in advance.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
DC didn't produce nearly enough of the 3D covers and most of them have been heavily allocated. Cross your fingers if you're really wanting them as most shops only got a fraction of what they ordered.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Talked with one shop and he has been cut back by 25%. He said that all his subscribers will be covered, it is the guy off the street that is going to miss out.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you get COMIC SHOP NEWS they mentioned that all the issues will be printed again and sold as a set along with a bonus comic not for sale as a single copy. Not sure how the next printing will be different from the first but DC knows a good thing when it hits them on the head. They also will be put into a hard cover volume with a unique lenticular on it as well.

quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Talked with one shop and he has been cut back by 25%. He said that all his subscribers will be covered, it is the guy off the street that is going to miss out.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've got 23 of the first 26 here and they are beautiful. These are tailor made for a lenticular card set.

Apparently, there is a "one per store" lenticular cover for the comic called "Forever Evil" and the first handful sold for $150. Someone had a pair of the lenticular and regular versions of that one, and with bids, it sold for over $2,000. Yikes! Either the non lenticular cover of that one is incredibly rare, or a couple of guys were goofing around.

The regular Lenticular issues seem to be going for $8 or so each, so double cover price, with the Lobo and Harley Quinn ones being more sought after and getting more than $8.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So how long will it take before Marvel and other companies do the same?

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I've got 23 of the first 26 here and they are beautiful. These are tailor made for a lenticular card set.

Apparently, there is a "one per store" lenticular cover for the comic called "Forever Evil" and the first handful sold for $150. Someone had a pair of the lenticular and regular versions of that one, and with bids, it sold for over $2,000. Yikes! Either the non lenticular cover of that one is incredibly rare, or a couple of guys were goofing around.

The regular Lenticular issues seem to be going for $8 or so each, so double cover price, with the Lobo and Harley Quinn ones being more sought after and getting more than $8.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Now that Villain's Month is over. The prices are coming back down.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It seems like most of them have been readily available for $5 to $7 with the exception of Harley Quinn #1 and Dial E for Evil which were about $15, Lobo #1 which was about $10, and last week's Joker's Daughter #1 which is about $50. There was also a 53rd Lenticular cover for Forever Evil #1 and that was supposedly one per store (whatever that means) and initial prices on that were solid at $150.

I haven't checked the prices on any of them lately, but the important thing is, these look fantastic, so they'll always be worth $5 each to me.

And that's the lesson: Only buy stuff you like, or at least stuff that looks good, and your items will have aesthetic value which is never worthless.

The Skymotion Two-Face card from Skybox DC Villains should be worth more than it is, but all of the non-redeemed ones (which is to say most of them since that set sold very poorly) made it out the back door, literally dumping thousands on the market at once. Even so, it's one of the coolest cards ever made, and eventually, when they have all been absorbed into collections, the card will attain the value it should've always had.

If it wasn't as nice as it is, even were it scarce as it should be, it wouldn't ever attain any sort of aftermarket value. The same is true of comics, I've found.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
My local comic store and Forbidden Planet were selling that at the orginal cover price £2.80. On some you had to get in quick.

I geot the vibe that comic shops were glad that the 4 weeks were over, due to some of teh short print runs and allocating them them to their regular customers, but I'm sure they made some money from them.

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post