Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney buys Lucasfilm
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.forbes.com/sites/er...lm-for-4-05-billion/

Wonder if this will affect Topps Star Wars cards at all?

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
Wow. They are making Episodes 7, 8, and 9. I'm not sure that's a good thing, but they'll make a lotta money.

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking, and I'm being lazy not Googling it, but does Indiana Jones fall under Lucasfilm? Lucas was always the one that held up scripts for Indy 4, wanted the alien theme to the movie, etc. Does Disney own Indy now? If not, please move along, move along.

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They get it all, the movies, cards, merchandising, everything. Unless Disney starts working with Topps all of a sudden, it looks like Star Wars cards in the future might be coming from Upper Deck, who has been handling any Disney related and Marvel Comics movies cards for this past decade.

This is a seismic shift in the future of Star Wars, that's for sure!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

This is a seismic shift in the future of Star Wars, that's for sure!

Yes, I agree, and....isn't it GREAT??? I am an old school SW fan, having seen the original films with my father starting from Day 1 in '77 and following all the films and collectibles ever since. I love the franchise, but it was getting close to needing a shake-up, and the timing is perfect. Now they can make the final trilogy with the original cast (assuming that's the plan) having reached an appropriate age to tell the story of the Solo/Skywalker children. Nothing like a major change to invigorate the series again! Woo hoo!

Of course, this is just my opinion....

Geoff

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, in one afternoon, we went from George Lucas saying just last year that there were no new Star Wars movies on the horizon to the announcement of not only a new trilogy, but even a tentative release date (2015).

Lucas has said that while this is essentially his retirement, he would advise on the next trilogy like a little Yoda in the corner.

As for the new owners Disney, well, they do have very recent experience in buying a well established company to acquire the existing characters only to then use them in extremely successful and well-received movies, referring mainly to the purchase of Marvel Comics and the Avengers movie that quickly followed.

And the new boss of Lucasfilm is Kathleen Kennedy, who actually signed cards (well, stickers anyway) for the Indiana Jones Crystal Skull set from Topps, so hopefully she realizes the profit potential, promotional opportunities, and the good ol' tradition that trading cards represent.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHouseman:
I was just thinking, and I'm being lazy not Googling it, but does Indiana Jones fall under Lucasfilm? Lucas was always the one that held up scripts for Indy 4, wanted the alien theme to the movie, etc. Does Disney own Indy now? If not, please move along, move along.

Statements they issued today said that the deal includes Lucasfilm and all it's related properties including SW, Indy and even ILM. Disney went on to say that their primary goal was to acquire Star Wars and that Indy didn't really factor into the decision.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
There's been talk for years about doing 3 more films, I never thought it would happen, but now it seems a certainty.

Not long ago it seemed Disney was faltering with Pixar going their own way. Now with aquiring Star Wars, Disney is really continuing to strive forward.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As Ford, Fisher, and Hamill are aging (like the rest of us), I'd always hoped Lucasfilm/ILM would have them all come in and lay down some basic performances on motion capture and lay down some dialogue in case someone were to continue the story of Luke Skywalker on film like 20 years from now.

Since Lucas has treatments for the next Trilogy and Disney seems very interested in using them, that won't have to happen and since this next trilogy takes place 20 or so years after Return of the Jedi, the original actors won't even have to be "younged" up too much. It will be great to see them on the screen again, hopefully Mark and Carrie are interested and considering Harrison Ford was willing to come back and play Indy for Crystal Skull despite a truly terrible script, it seems reasonable he could be coaxed back into playing Han Solo, especially if the script is good.

Lucas has revealed the next trilogy is the rebuilding of the Republic 20 years after the events of Jedi, so it could be that it draws from the early 1990's book trilogy "Heir to the Empire" which Lucas is said to be a big fan of and has already drawn from in the prequel trilogy, i.e. the Galactic capital of Coruscant which was introduced in those books.

If that is the case, there are two very choice roles soon to be cast, those of clone Emperor Grand Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade, not to mention the three children of Han and Leia. Those all have the potential of being star-making roles.

One other thing, it looks like Star Wars comics will be going back to their original publishers, Marvel Comics, since they are now a sister company of Lucasfilm under the Disney banner. Too bad for current publisher of them, Dark Horse Comics. They really did great things with Star Wars comics for these past 20 years and helped keep the franchise in the public eye during the time when not only were there no new movies planned, but even the re-releases didn't seem likely.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should hire already well known actors to play the children, Hayden playing Anakin didn't do much for his career in the end.

As long as they don't cast Kristen Stewart LOL

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I actually like some of the sci-fi that Disney has put out lately.

But Star Wars? I am not convinced.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post