Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karen Black dies.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted
74 of Cancer, Starred in various movies, Easy Rider and a lot of others. Great lady and actress. R.I.P.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
"Burnt Offerings" from 1976 scared the hell out of me when I was a kid (don't worry, it grew back), and who could forget he multi-role performance in "Trilogy of Terror" including the lady being terrorized by a Zuni Fetish doll that has come to life?

Rest in peace, Karen Black.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Funny you picked the two horror movies that I remember her best for, but I read that she thought her career got shortchanged after the 70's films and considered the horror stuff just 'B' work.

Sometimes actors don't know what things really impact viewers. I liked her a lot and it had nothing to do with Easy Rider, which looks like a pretty dumb movie when seen in the present time. RIP Ms. Black.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Those cult films were great for her at the horror conventions. I think she was a pretty regular attendee for a time anyway.

I've never seen "Easy Rider", (sacrilege to some, I know), but I did see "Rubin and Ed", easily as weird as anything else she was ever in. It starred Crispin Glover and Howard Hesseman. See it now if you have not.

"Five Easy Pieces" was a good one for her, for sure. I saw that one a LONG time ago, but still remember it pretty well. "Come Back to the 5 and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean", "Capricorn One", and of course, the classic "Nashville", all favorites of mine. She was even in "Dark Blood", the long delayed final film of River Phoenix who died when it was nearly complete. It had a limited run last year, but I don't know if it's available on DVD.

She had a great career, for sure, and was comfortable in a lot of genres.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Just watched Burnt Offerings, she was quite good in it but unfortunately the film was not and way too long, sorry to hear she had passed away.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Just watched Burnt Offerings, she was quite good in it but unfortunately the film was not and way too long, sorry to hear she had passed away.

I'm sure your right, if I saw it now I would probably feel the same way, but I remember it from watching on the TV when I was young and I thought it was very scary. Its funny how our taste changes with maturity and better special effects.

Way off topic, but the two best horror films I can remember seeing on TV as a kid was the original "The Thing" and "It, the Terror from Beyond Space". Now "It" is a low budget B movie that was pretty much the source idea for "Alien", its even referenced as such in some articles. Watch it now and its a man in a rubber suit smashing through a papermache spaceship.

On the other hand Howard Hawkes' The Thing holds up really well and its one of the few films that I watch every so often. I wish someone would do a remake of it.

There was a remake you say. Big Grin No there wasn't. The new Thing was based on the original story and created a shape shifting alien that made it into a "who's the monster" story. The filmed Thing was a giant vegetable man, I kid you not, who was growing an army in the green house while killing off the scientists for blood. It was great and still is. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
And don't forgett her great role in House of 1000 Corpses as Mother Firefly. RIP Frown

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Loved her in Trilogy of Terror.

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post