Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guardians of the Galaxy
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I saw Alf Bouillabaseball cards as well on the ship!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
Anyone else get pins at their showing. I received five, since the whole family went. I have doubles of Gamora and Rocket if anyone wants to trade, I need Groot and Drax.

Shoot me an email if interested.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Best movie ever! So says Batman! Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Saw it today with the family. Good movie, lots of 80's references. Should be interesting to see how, or if, this group of characters will intersect with the current Marvel Movie-verse.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Mutant Ninja Turtles just pulled in 65 million dollars and passed Guardians at the box office this weekend. This is despite the fact that Turtles has received Howard the Duck kind of reviews.

I am now officially done with going to the movies. I will watch cable or wait for DVDs. As Danny Glover said in Lethal Weapon, I am too old for this s---.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Did something today I've never done before...

Went to a movie all by myself. To see Guardians again.

I'm betting Turtles' second week numbers are horrible. There was a certain amount of built in viewers, but after the reviews I doubt many will decide to choose it.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I was a great movie. Very easy to understand to any non-comic fan. Congratulations to Marvel Studios. They technically bring other "Blade" character to the mainstream.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Just saw this, and really liked it. Dave Batista has proven himself to be a good actor, probably the best of the former wrestlers (with the possible exception of Rowdy Roddy Piper). Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel did nice voiceover work and I've been a fan of Chris Pratt for years already, thanks to Parks and Rec. He should be a big star for years to come with "Jurassic World" coming up next for him.

Regarding one of the major themes of this film, it's a been a big year for sons' love for their mothers. The rapper Eminem made peace with his mother in his brilliant song "Headlights", Philip J. Fry finally got to say an emotional goodbye to his mother on the third-to-last episode of "Futurama", and now this moving plotline in "Guardians" regarding Peter Quill and his mother was at the heart of this film.

I don't think its quite on the level of Avengers, Iron Man 1, or the Dark Knight Trilogy, but Guardians is definitely in the upper echelon of comic book films and the sequel should be even better, now that the "origin" tale is out of the way.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I went into this not having watched any trailers (unusual for me) and knowing nothing about material and REALLY enjoyed it. Had a lot of heart without being too mawkish, and seemed original for sci-fi film. It was funny and FUN. Was really impressed with how they integrated the vintage pop soundtrack into the film to give it a very different feel. Wasn't expecting a summer comic/sci-fi blockbuster to play out to 'I Want You Back' by the Jackson 5. Brilliant.

Lee Pace was excellent as the villain Ronan and Chris Pratt could hold a film of this weight in the main role.
In fact the whole cast was a real surprise. Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel doing voice work, an impressive turn from an ex-wrestler (Bautista), Micheal Rooker playing a blue version of Merle from The Walking Dead(!), a Doctor Who companion (Gillan) did well in a major Holloywood production, and the totally offbeat but great casting choices really worked: Glenn Close, Benecio Del Toro, John C. Reilly and Peter Serafinowicz. That's an ensemble cast.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like they'll need a new director for Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Disney fired director James Gunn (who did the first 2 films) for offensive Tweets that he made, back in 2008-2010, involving a variety of subjects which I will not list here.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
And this is the hypocrisy of Hollywood. These tweets have been lying around in plain sight for 10 years. Nothing you put on the internet ever goes away and this was under his name. Disney did not care until they got called out.

Now go ahead and defend this kind of stuff as being too old too matter. You can't. He says it was jokes. He says it was like performance art to be provocative. That's the problem. You can't read it and think its funny or artistic license.

Disney especially has a reputation that can't afford this sort of association, but they had it, until somebody dug it up, probably for their own reasons. It's just like waiting for the other shoe to drop. When will they learn? First Wonder Woman (not Disney) and now Guardians, who's next?

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What was the issue with Wonder Woman ?

I did not hear about that one

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That was back at the end of last year when Gia Gadot refused to do the Wonder Woman sequel if original producer Brett Ratner was still involved with the franchise. Ratner had been accused of sexual harassment a few times, but was not dropped by the studio until the star threatened to drop out herself.

So its not just actors that have these well known bad histories, but producers, writers and directors too. Yet the studios do nothing about it until they are publicly confronted by somebody, and then they are shocked, SHOCKED I tell you! Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seems like this has become the new norm for Hollywood. Director Bryan Singer, best known for 4 of the X-Men films and Superman Returns, has been accused of multiple incidents involving young boys. The stories just get worse and worse

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently the stars of the Guardians movies are rallying to his defense, saying that he made a mistake, that he was sorry, etc.

But yet the co-stars of "Roseanne" did not accept her apology, and instead hung her out to dry, even though she, too, apologized. I guess we'll see what Disney does with Mr. Gunn.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Gunn apologised for the tweets 6 years ago. Funny how tweets of 8 year old can be found, but the newer one ignored. People and opinions do change.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The problems I have with Gunn's explanation and apology is that #1, he was not kid when he wrote some pretty creepy stuff, to put it mildly. He was at least 41 years old. And #2, he left everything in his Twitter account. After the story broke, seemingly because he got into some stupid argument about Star Wars and they retaliated, Gunn deleted THOUSANDS of his tweets. Too late then.

There is an old saying that when someone shows you who they are, you should believe him.

Gunn was a grown man at 41 and that was who he was. The fact that no one ever went back and scrubbed those tweets after he became successful and a corporate employee means that either they were all good with it or they are all dumber than dirt. Either way Gunn has no one to blame but himself.

As for Disney, they should have stood by their choice. They picked him and don't tell me they were blindsided by his history. This is not the same case as Roseanne, where her history was well known, but she did something in real time so the network bailed before it got pressed. Disney did not have to fire him because of its "family values". If that mattered, they never should have hired him in the first place. But this is the warped and hypocritical world of the entertainment industry and its hard to find anyone to support.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And now a video surfaces from a few years ago of of late night talk show host Trevor Noah making a racist joke about Aborigines, saying that they are ugly.

In his case, no consequences whatsoever. He still has his job, no loss of work, etc. Why the double standard ?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now there are stories out that Disney may be meeting with James Gunn about possibly re-hiring him.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post