Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Any interest in a movie club?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/1937096646

December 27, 2013, 09:47 AM
ifish73
Any interest in a movie club?
Do you think there is enough interest to start a movie club? I am talking about little known movies that we enjoyed that others might not know about, not Iron Man 3.

We could pick a movie, set a time frame for everyone to watch it and discuss the movie. Just like a book club. A hard thing for people with little spare time but it could be a lot of fun.

With On Demand, Netflix, general on-line streaming it shouldn't be hard to find a movie a lot of us could watch.
December 27, 2013, 09:52 AM
ifish73
Here are two that I thought of quickly:

Pan's Labyrinth - A lot of you may have seen it after the Oscars but this is an incredible movie.

The Raid, Redemption - Caught this on Starz a month back. It is not in English and I had never heard of it until I saw it but it was really good.
December 27, 2013, 11:41 AM
barobehere
It could work for people who have Netflix Streaming.
One I knew about but just saw was Frank and Robot. It was excellent, both funny and sad.
December 27, 2013, 01:34 PM
dcole
I think it's a neat idea and I'd look forward to reading the reviews of various movies.

Unfortunately, I know that I'd personally be an epic fail as a participant. Big Grin I don't stream movies (I'm behind the times in that area) and it often takes me weeks and weeks to get around to watch a DVD or something DVR'ed. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me. Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.
December 27, 2013, 01:50 PM
wolfie
A problem that I know comes up in book clubs is the choice of book vs the people in the club. Whatever book is chosen the people who do not fancy it do not read it and the same would happen with film I fear. Mass participation in anything these days is very difficult as most people just do their own thing.

December 27, 2013, 02:10 PM
ifish73
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
I think it's a neat idea and I'd look forward to reading the reviews of various movies.

Unfortunately, I know that I'd personally be an epic fail as a participant. Big Grin I don't stream movies (I'm behind the times in that area) and it often takes me weeks and weeks to get around to watch a DVD or something DVR'ed. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
A problem that I know comes up in book clubs is the choice of book vs the people in the club. Whatever book is chosen the people who do not fancy it do not read it and the same would happen with film I fear. Mass participation in anything these days is very difficult as most people just do their own thing.

Unlike a formal book club since we are an online community you don't have to if you don't want to. For instance I posted Pan's Labyrinth and The Raid. If you can't stand subtitles than you pass on these movie and wait for the next ones to come up.

I know that if someone posts up a movie like Eraserhead or most David Lynch movies I am out and will wait for the next.
December 27, 2013, 04:43 PM
chesspieceface
David Lynch has a couple of "normal" movies, and both are quite excellent.
"The Elephant Man" with Anthony Hopkins
"The Straight Story" with Richard Farnsworth. This one is actually rated "G"!
Arthouse-wise, the films of Peter Greenaway are quite remarkable. Some pretty adult subject matter in many of them, but "Drowning By Numbers" is fairly tame by his standards (it's a dark comedy, basically). It stars Bernard Hill who was King Théoden in the original Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. It has a remarkable device within in it where numbers are placed in the scene somewhere and they count upwards in sequence throughout the movie. Try to catch them all!

December 27, 2013, 07:52 PM
Raven
I love to hear recommendations for offbeat movies, I've seen my share of them myself, but I know my schedule wouldn't permit joining in on any group viewings. I'm lucky if I can see films a half hour at a time. That's why I'm still a big DVD buyer and I have a stack I haven't caught up with yet.

It's a good idea for those who can and I'd certainly read the thread. Smile
December 28, 2013, 10:12 PM
Headless Horseman
Why is Rubber not mentioned yet?

Big Grin

December 29, 2013, 02:48 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
Why is Rubber not mentioned yet?

Big Grin

Rubber what? Confused Big Grin
December 29, 2013, 03:15 PM
chesspieceface
RUBBER (2010)
Robert discovers he has telekinetic abilities and sets his sights on a desert town, and in particular, a mysterious woman who becomes his obsession. It should be noted that Robert is an automobile tire.

December 29, 2013, 03:18 PM
Raven
Oh that Rubber! Wink

Never even heard of it. Big Grin
December 29, 2013, 04:36 PM
chesspieceface
He's played by a Goodyear Tire.
It would have naturally been a Firestone tire cast in the lead role were the film a sequel to "Blow Out".

December 29, 2013, 06:55 PM
Raven
I was hoping it was a movie about a Rubber Duck because you know I had one named Quack Quack. Big Grin
December 29, 2013, 11:02 PM
chesspieceface
For Rubber Ducks, see the 1980 Sam Peckinpah truckin' classic "Convoy".

December 30, 2013, 01:36 PM
barobehere
I have heard about this movie and even saw the trailer a few years backs.
January 01, 2014, 08:11 PM
chesspieceface
Saw a couple more from my list just under the wire and one I hadn't intended to see.
Hobbit 2, which was fantastic, and sets the stage for the big finish next year.
Anchorman 2, which was not as funny as the original, but loaded with jokes ("I banish thee, Doby!") that will age well and, 10 years from now, will be quoted right alongside the classic jokes from the first one ("Milk was a bad choice!")

Finally, I saw Disney's "Frozen" (on the double bill at the drive-in with "Anchorman 2". These movies and their collaborations with Pixar try so hard, but they really can't overcome the paint by numbers story by committee type plots they are saddled with as a result of being such huge investments and along with that, having to carry a rating of no worse that "PG". It would be amazing to see this kind of technology match with uncompromised storytelling.
Even so, it looked incredible like they all do and this one had some really good songs and a very funny snowman, so I recommend it more than I do most of its brethren.

January 03, 2014, 09:51 AM
ifish73
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Saw a couple more from my list just under the wire and one I hadn't intended to see.
Hobbit 2, which was fantastic, and sets the stage for the big finish next year.
Anchorman 2, which was not as funny as the original, but loaded with jokes ("I banish thee, Doby!") that will age well and, 10 years from now, will be quoted right alongside the classic jokes from the first one ("Milk was a bad choice!")

Finally, I saw Disney's "Frozen" (on the double bill at the drive-in with "Anchorman 2". These movies and their collaborations with Pixar try so hard, but they really can't overcome the paint by numbers story by committee type plots they are saddled with as a result of being such huge investments and along with that, having to carry a rating of no worse that "PG". It would be amazing to see this kind of technology match with uncompromised storytelling.
Even so, it looked incredible like they all do and this one had some really good songs and a very funny snowman, so I recommend it more than I do most of its brethren.

My kids saw Frozen and my daughter really liked it.

I have two more movies that I suggest people stay away from:

Snow White and the Huntsman - Kristen Stewart better stay riding the coattails of Twilight because she isn't that great of an actress. At least the special effects were cool.

Jack the Giant Slayer - This might have been decent if they didn't make it PG. My kids didn't even like it.

Has anyone seen `The Watch'? It is the alien movie with Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill and Vince Vaughn? I caught 10 minutes of it on HBO and it made me laugh so I am waiting for it to come back on.
January 04, 2014, 01:22 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Has anyone seen `The Watch'? It is the alien movie with Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill and Vince Vaughn? I caught 10 minutes of it on HBO and it made me laugh so I am waiting for it to come back on.

If you can count fast forwarding as watching it. Big Grin

It was one of those movies that could have been entertaining, but just wasn't.
January 05, 2014, 08:55 PM
chesspieceface
I saw "The Watch" and it was pretty good. So many of those movies really depend on how much you like the actors in them and the way they usually play their characters. Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill are in good form. The film was originally called "Neighborhood Watch" but the title was changed as a result of the tragic events in Florida involving George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.