Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RICK GRIMES IS A HERO
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Watching the final episode of season 4 of The Walking Dead I realised that Rick Grimes is (in my opinion) the hero of the show.

The final scene made me cheer, and nothing (as far as I can remember) makes me cheer,
I must really like the show Smile

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I haven't real watched WD since the first season, but I don't think there was any doubt that Rick Grimes was always supposed to be the hero. Of course hero is a relative term these days and they are all flawed to suit the plotline. Wink

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I thought the finale was pretty good, but it does say something about the American culture that produces this show, that the final line was censored (which inarguably limited its impact) on an episode that, as with all of the others in this series, was loaded with horrific graphic and bloody violence from start to finish.

It's a strange place indeed where there is no problem subjecting a general audience to that level of constant carnage but concerned of the damage that could be done to that same audience were they to hear a single f-word, even one used in a totally non-sexual way as it would've been in this case.

As for Rick being a hero, I don't think the character would consider himself one. But then again, heroes never do, so there you go.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
He's not going to be a hero to all those Terminus people he kills next season.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
The only living character that holds my attention anymore is Carol. My son watches so I watch but I was out at the season 4 midseason break. All my characters are dead. Rick being a hero/antihero/nutjob survivor is still a question in my head.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
The story always has been and always will be about Carl. Rick is the perfect Anti-Hero for this Zombieapocalypse!

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
He's not going to be a hero to all those Terminus people he kills next season.

Be honest, they are asking for it, they've tricked them and trapped them to no reason, and even I wanted to give that Gareth a slap Razz

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This was my reasoning, he only appeared in a brief scene in 5 episodes, (as the show is being stretched) everyone likes Daryl and Michonne, everybody talks about Daryl and Michonne, everybody is sketching Daryl and Michonne, also in the meantime,3 fantastic new characters have been introduced, I hope they last but please don't tell me Don Norton, Rick has been pushed to the side (until episode 16)
He may have flashes of nut job, but that is for the group, all his over the top actions have an air of, ''we didn't need this'' about them, its survival, Carl doesn't want to stand next to him outside the Terminus fence, but would rather be with Michonne who likes to slice and dice her victims.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Chief, I don't think Rick has been sidelined at all. To me he has always been the hero of WD. I was being tongue in cheek when I said he wouldn't be a hero to the Terminus people, in fact, I'll be fine with them getting taken out.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post