Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016 Movies
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Hits and Misses So far, in Terms of Money Made

Big Hits

Captain America 3
Finding Dory
Jungle Book

Moderate Hits

X-Men

Misses

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Alice in Wonderland 2
Independence Day

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Is that US domestic or global? Warcraft's box office is definitely interesting!

US Opening Wknd: $24,166,110
US Domestic Gross: $43,886,470
Nothing so great, and yet:
Global Gross: $412,186,470

By all counts it's US gross is an awful miss, but with $204m in China alone it's got to be considered a hit.

X-Men: Apocalypse is disappointing compared to it's main contemporaries - Deadpool and Days of Future Past - and critically too, but at >$500m it's done fairly well

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On X-Men, I based it on the U.S. box office. Of the 9 X-Men related films, in terms of money made, it is # 7 of 9

Days of Future Past made about 750 M worldwide

As to Independence Day, Wonderland, and Ninja Turtles, it looks like none of them will make 100 million in the U.S.

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So hard to call hits and misses these days because of the world market and the enormous production costs.

A big budget movie can do well and make a fortune and still not meet expected returns. It can pull in 400 M and not make up its cost.

Or a movie can kill in one part of the world and do little in another part.

And then there are the movies that are total trash, yet they manage a huge box office, often just on the name recognition.

So when you talk about ranking movie hits and misses, I guess that's just on a flat money collected scale, but that's means less and less to me.

I have had a hard time so far this year recommending any movie at all, but I think Finding Dory is a sure bet to capture it's market and make a fortune.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Batman Superman made about 325 M in the U.S. and is, so far, the # 5 grossing film in America in terms of money it made (although I am sure that Dory and others will knock it out of that position) and it made 800 M worldwide, and still it is considered a financial disappointment by some

Others like Alice in Wonderland are obviously a flop, as it grossed 70 M so far and cost 170 M to make, and the original movie grossed five times as much

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wonder how much Ghostbusters will make ?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Batman Superman made about 325 M in the U.S. and is, so far, the # 5 grossing film in America in terms of money it made (although I am sure that Dory and others will knock it out of that position) and it made 800 M worldwide, and still it is considered a financial disappointment by some

An example of name recognition there and the franchise for Justice League and DC characters will go on because it did make the money.

So just imagine if it was a GOOD movie. Big Grin

Batman v Superman was awful. I knew it was awful beforehand, yet I still wound up seeing it because I went with someone else who wanted to see it. He thought it was OK, I was bored stiff. So even I contributed to a lousy movie that made enough to garner what will probably be another lousy sequel.

Ghostbusters, I have seen no indication so far that it will be any good. There have been many red flags that it could be truly terrible and that is based mostly on the trailers and the word of massive re-editing close to release.

Regardless of quality, it is hard to believe that it won't have a big first weekend box office simply because it is Ghostbusters. It also depends on what other movies may be opening that weekend. Little to no competition helps.

If I had to guess, I would have to say that it probably won't be as a bad as I think it will be. But if it is, costing as much as it does, you can put it right at the top of that miss list. Wink

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One wonders why they made a second Independence Day film, and expected it to be a hit

Most people don't even remember the first one from 1996, and I am sure that there was very little excitement generated over this one

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwn410:
Is that US domestic or global? Warcraft's box office is definitely interesting!

US Opening Wknd: $24,166,110
US Domestic Gross: $43,886,470
Nothing so great, and yet:
Global Gross: $412,186,470

By all counts it's US gross is an awful miss, but with $204m in China alone it's got to be considered a hit.

China, of all places, is also giving a big lift to the "Independence Day" sequel. Who knows what's going on over there. Garbage seems to soar lately while Star Wars 7 got a weak response from them. (Maybe they identify with the Empire a little too closely and didn't like seeing it taking a defeat).

I'm old enough to remember the original ID4, and it was OK, but certainly, they should have done more to try and get Will Smith into the fold if they were courting viewers of the original, especially since they ended up with an actor playing his grown-up son, who, if the trailers are any indication, may well be the worst actor on this or any other planet in the universe with sentient life on it that seeks to entertain other sentient life with such capering.

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am sure that Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum are happy to have received work, from the ID4 sequel. No one has really heard from either in many years Smile

Goldblum's most significant recent achievement was being on "Law and Order Criminal Intent" for 1 year

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
When I saw they had Judd Hirsch return as well, that did put it on my DVD-to-see list. He's still very funny. I also like Pullman and Goldblum. Bill would probably like to see that "Spaceballs" sequel happen, and I know Jeff may yet pick up a nice paycheck from one of these upcoming Jurassic World followups.

Goldblum also did just produce a child at 67 last year, so he must be pretty healthy, haha. He still looks good.

As for ID4, one thing the original offered was spectacle. The early teasers and especially the sound of them at an actual theater was a big draw to see the movie in theatres as I recall. Remember that in 1996, most people didn't have the giant screen TVs and window-shattering sounds systems that are now fairly standard in homes today. Bang and clatter alone is not enough to bring people out to the movies these days. Most of us can make our own at home.

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I still think it's bizarre watching the original DEATH WISH with Charles Bronson from 1974 and seeing Goldblum as one of the punks who attacked Bronson's family Smile

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
The summer I have seen
Captain America: Civil War (A)
X-men: Apocalypse (D)
and because my daughter won 2 free tickets to it, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. (F) Glad I did not buy any concession stand snacks or I would have felt ripped off.

I think now that DVD/ or streaming services have the movie in a matter of months after a film is in the theatre that a lot of people are holding back from seeing it in the theatre. I know the theatre in my town is subpar yet tickets are almost 10 bucks each (And they charge tax on the tickets now) and a large popcorn and coke is 20 bucks. So, for a family of 4 if we got the popcorn and coke to share(Free refills on the large size only) is 60 bucks or we can wait for the dvd and usually get the film for 15.00. which is what we have been doing lately.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Finding Dory is doing extremely well

Steven Spielberg's BFG bombed this weekend, grossing a mere 18 million

Tarzan grossed only 38 M, yet it cost 180 M to make

Independence Day continues to sink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cost us $ 71 to see a movie on Sunday, for a family of four

$ 45 for tickets, 26 for snacks

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

Steven Spielberg's BFG bombed this weekend, grossing a mere 18 million

When I saw the TV ads for this one, I was wondering what kid would want to see it just by the look of it.

It seems to be old England and the BFG is an odd CGI creation modeled after its voiced actor Mark Rylance. It is very child unappealing next to something like Finding Dory.

For all the success Spielberg has had, I have always found his films to be very heavy handed, even when they were good. When they are not good they are insufferable, but it's Spielberg, so his reputation carries him on. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Aside from Harry Potter, American kids have no interest in films of British characters (Paddington Bear, Matilda, BFG, etc)

BFG received good reviews, but it cost 140 M to make, so grossing 20-25 M the first week is not a good sign

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aside from Harry Potter, American kids have no interest in films of British characters (Paddington Bear, Matilda, BFG, etc)

Or maybe it's the story of the orphan/kid whisked away to fantasy land that they have lost interest in. See the recent Pan and the older Golden Compass. Big Grin

Another less expensive, but somewhat similar and also English, movie coming out is A Monster Calls. That's more of a drama than a fairy tale, but it's hard to tell who these films are being made for, even though they are represented as children's stories.

I think that's more of the problem with these movies that don't do well. They don't want to just entertain younger audiences, they want to preach certain ideals that kids don't understand or enjoy and adults have long dismissed.

Just give me A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims and I'm good. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Add to the list the 2 "Nanny McPhee" films. Why even release these in the U.S. ?

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I don't think that it's a matter of kids not being interested in certain ideals as much as it being a case of North American kids not being familiar with British characters. Many kids around here have never heard of Paddington or the BFG and so these movies just don't engage their interest.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post