Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Marvel
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
So I have gotten pretty annoyed with Captain Marvel, even before it gets to open, just by viewing the trailers. Since I have no idea what the reception will be, I'll just post my thoughts now and find out later.

My annoyance is not with a female super hero, but with a cutsie female super hero, which is what this looks like. For starters, every actor in the movie sounds like they are trying to talk to 2-year olds. I'm not just picking on Brie Larson, they are all talking slow and with great diction and hitting the punch lines with sledgehammers, in case the audience doesn't know enough to find them amusing. Since we have the likes of Sam Jackson, Jude Law and Annette Bening involved, and they all can't be bad, I'm assuming this is intentional directing.

Second, Brie Larson really does look bad to me. She seems to be channeling a worse version of Jessica Alba's Sue Storm and what is the point of having an Academy Award winner just to look good in uniform until she opens her mouth. The whole delivery is play acting and "how cute am I as a hero". There is even a line where she says she is a hero, in case we didn't get that before then.

Thirdly, the special effects in the trailers look sub-par. When she releases her power, when her eyes go white or shiny or whatever you want to call it, it's been done before and better. These are parts that just look cheesy for a big budget film. Maybe they should have dropped a couple of award winners and invested more in the FX.

Finally, for myself at least, I am rarely wrong about a film when I don't see enough in a trailer to make me want to go. These trailers don't even make me want to see it in DVD. I felt like I have seen every ponderous sit up to this origin story before. I feel like I could write the script from scenes in better superhero films. I don't think I'm alone with this one because Rotten Tomatoes has disabled comments because of what they are calling "trolls". If negative comments are coming from people who just hate female driven films and don't want women action stars, they are trolls. If however they are based on reasoned negative reactions to the trailers the studios put out, I don't call that trolling, it's a poorly made trailer or worse, a bad film. Trailers show the best bits. If they do not get a positive reaction from unbiased people, maybe it's not the audience with a problem.

This one opens March 8th over here. They are talking anywhere from a 100M - 150M opening weekend. I have no confidence that it won't pull it in. Big Grin We shall see.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So Captain Marvel is making 153M domestically and 302M internationally, for a total of 455M over one weekend. That is on the high end of early predictions.

And this is why Marvel and DC will continue to push out on all existing franchises and keep finding lesser known heroes to drag into them. They just have to stick to the same formula, add a small twist, and it's guaranteed to get a big audience. The best things I've heard about Captain Marvel has to do with 90's nostalgia, female power and a cat. There you go. I mean I'm still not going, but there you go. Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I wasn't too impressed with CAPTAIN MARVEL, with the exception of a couple of minutes. Brie Larson just didn't have any charisma for me, and much of the movie was the same old stuff again. There were a few twists I liked though. It was a bit better than BLACK PANTHER, which is on the bottom of my likes list for the current batch of Marvel Movies. However, if any of them are ever as bad as ELEKTRA was, I'll eat my hat.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I wasn't too impressed with CAPTAIN MARVEL, with the exception of a couple of minutes. Brie Larson just didn't have any charisma for me, and much of the movie was the same old stuff again. There were a few twists I liked though. It was a bit better than BLACK PANTHER, which is on the bottom of my likes list for the current batch of Marvel Movies. However, if any of them are ever as bad as ELEKTRA was, I'll eat my hat.

Gotta agree with you on Black Panther....it wasn't terrible, just underwhelming. I put it down there with Thor 2 and the like.

Saw CM yesterday and I have to admit, for the most part I liked it. It was a really fun tie in for the front end of the MCU.

I did feel that the whole "girl power" concept was overly written into parts of the script. There were a few scenes where Captain Marvel flipped over to Captain Obvious. Areas that felt it needed to bail from the story and take a moment to educate all us dummies in the audience.

Still, it was not overwhelming enough to ruin my enjoyment of the the film.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
The difference between Black Panther and Captain Marvel is that you wouldn't have had to see any other MCU movies to enjoy it and know it was part of a bigger picture. With Black Panther on the other hand, there wasn't one link to the MCU throughout. It could have had the DC bullet at the beginning and it wouldn't have made any difference.

(possible)SPOILER highlight to see... I think Fury and/or Coulson was replaced with a Skrull.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post