Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Katy Perry
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Autographed copies of Katy Perry's new CD up on Newbury for about $22 shipped. Release date is 28 August.

I am sure these will sell out before that.

Only 1 per customer.

Ebay sellers already trying to get more than $100 for them.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
She has a pretty decent signature if she will use it. It's a shame that people just see these promotions as a money making opportunity for them and deny true fans the chance to get in at the original low price. I'm not a big fan of hers, just a couple of her songs that I like, and I wouldn't even try to bump off someone who would really appreciate it. The money grab is why some celebrities see the public as leeches and treat them accordingly, to the detriment of those who really value their work.

Thanks for the shout out, maybe someone can still get in on it.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I still laugh when Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson signed a mini poster if you preordered their Ep record together a few years ago. I got one. Scarlett signed every poster by her arm in the image. A few month later in a Leaf cut signature product there it was in a card. What makes this funny? Because you had to trust that Scarlett had signed the poster (No CoA) because Pete Yorn's brother has been her manager for 20 years and this would be the third musical project she and Pete worked on together the poster typically went between 100 and 200 bucks. This cut signature card went for over 1000.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Katy who?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
The poster typically went between 100 and 200 bucks. This cut signature card went for over 1000.

Yeah I have seen several cut sigs from books that sold for $20 or $30 bucks that people want outrageous money for. Recently I saw Gene Simmons and Kate Hudson. Really looking like Scarlett will not be signing any UD Marvel items. Can't imagine they have not tried to contact her.

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Katy who?

13 Grammy Nominations, 5 AMA's, 16 ASCAP's 5 Billboard Music Awards, 10 BMI's, 5 MTV VMA's, 4X Guinness World Record Holder and number 29 on the list of most certified units sold at 147.5 million.

An autograph completely worth $22 in my opinion. Smokin'

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I still don't know a single song from her.

I guess that makes me an old fuddey-duddy.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Katy who?
You might have heard of her fiance: Orlando Bloom. He starred in a couple of film franchises that made a bob or two at the box office, i.e. Pirates of the Carribean and Lord of the Rings Big Grin

But like you, I've never heard any of her songs.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Bob who?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bob who?
Hehe, colloquial English term. A 'Bob' is a slang term for a shilling. There used to be 20 shillings to a UK Pound. 'To make a bob or two' means to make a nice sum of money.

What was it they used to say about the UK and the USA: two great nations divided by a common language Big Grin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I know, I was just kidding.
I know that phrase about language was used by George C. Scott in PATTON. Whether Patton originated it or not I do not know.
I do know that I sometimes have to use closed captioning to see what British speakers are saying in some movies, the accent to me is so thick. But I also have to use the CC to understand what some Americans are saying because they mumble their lines.
Back when we could go to movies (ah, the sweet taste of nostalgia!), both my brother and I had a hard time understanding much of the dialog. I'd often ask other moviegoers after the movie about key lines, which they seemed to have had no trouble understanding. I guess it's the acoustics, because my hearing is excellent, while my brother's is bad.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Totally off topic, but I love "foreign" English language TV shows and films, although the accents can be a real challenge to an American ear. Heavy Scottish, Irish and pure Cockney are murder.

One of my favorite old British movies is The Long Good Friday, which you could put up against any of the best US gangster movies ever made. A lot of the fun for me was just trying to understand what the heck Bob Hoskins was saying in pure Cockney, but his portrayal was such that you didn't even have to recognize the words. And I didn't most of the time. Big Grin

Katy Perry songs - Dark Horse, Roar, Rise.

Hard to have avoided those, or the pictures from that boat outing with Orlando Bloom, who was more than all out. Eek Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Katy Perry songs - Dark Horse, Roar, Rise.

Hard to have avoided those,
Pretty easy for me. I generally only listen to music when I am in my car and its radio is permanently tuned to Classic FM which only plays classical music. That's been the case for pretty much the whole of this century, so I know next to nothing about any 'pop' music that has emerged in the last 20 years.

The last music I bought, earlier this year, were CDs. One was 'The History of the Bonzos', anyone want to show their age and admit to recognising a reference to the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band ? Big Grin, and a double CD of music by The Mandala Band principally for the tracks it contains off a concept album called 'The Eye of Wendor' released back in the late 70s. These were replacements for vinyl albums I parted with a few years ago. A move I really regret these days...but we all make mistakes Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Kevin.
The last new CD I bought and listened to (yesterday) was TRAFFIC THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me feel so cutting edge and I'm stuck in Classic Rock. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure when I stopped listening to new music, but I remember a song about walking between the raindrops and NOT AN ADDICT by K's Choice, both CDs which I bought. It was somewhere around then.

What have I missed?

Besides 13 by BLACK SABBATH (of course!)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are you thinking about "Walking between Raindrops" from Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" album (1982). I was just looking at that one while going through stuff in my closet a few weeks ago.

Last year, I bought Jim Croce's "You Don't Mess around with Jim" album at Goodwill. I couldn't believe it was only $3.

I used to have two record players but now it appears I have none. Barnes and Noble sells a portable one for about $90.

I've bought only one CD, a Sheryl Crow. She would have fit right in during the 70's. I got the "To Live and Die in L.A." CD as a gift.

But I do know know who Katy Perry is. She performed at halftime during the Super Bowl a few years ago. I don't know about pictures of a boat outing with Orlando Bloom, though.

Jess

quote:
I'm not quite sure when I stopped listening to new music, but I remember a song about walking between the raindrops and NOT AN ADDICT by K's Choice, both CDs which I bought. It was somewhere around then.

What have I missed?

Besides 13 by BLACK SABBATH (of course!)

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The last CD Album I bought in January of this year and it was the Eagles "Dark Desert Highways" being 6 disks of live concerts which reminded me of when I saw them live in the 70's at Wembley Arena. I also saw Wings around the same time at the same venue.
Ah those were the days!!!

I now have one on order which is by Carol Bayer Sager which is called "Too" being the 2nd of her three albums that she released. I have the other two she released both on CD and Vinyl but not this one.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Now I am going crazy trying to find that raindrops song. It's not Donald Fagen. It's by a female vocalist.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You're not talking about Between the Raindrops by Lifehouse are you? Natasha Bedingfield sings a good portion of it, but that's country/rock.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that there are two recently-released CDs of live material from as far back as the early 70's. One from 2017 ("Transmission Impossible") and this year. I recall reading that when the Eagles wanted to assemble material for the "Eagles: Selected Works 1972-1999" collection, they didn't find much in "the vault" beyond what had been released. I assume that since then they found some stuff recorded by an engineer at a few different concerts. I heard a similar thing happened with a 1970's Dan Fogelberg concert in Holland. Someone recorded it and it wasn't discovered until several years ago (after Fogelberg's passing). That was also released in the past few years along with a tribute album by other performers including the Eagles.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
The last CD Album I bought in January of this year and it was the Eagles "Dark Desert Highways" being 6 disks of live concerts which reminded me of when I saw them live in the 70's at Wembley Arena. I also saw Wings around the same time at the same venue.
Ah those were the days!!!

I now have one on order which is by Carol Bayer Sager which is called "Too" being the 2nd of her three albums that she released. I have the other two she released both on CD and Vinyl but not this one.

regards

John

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post