Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alan Rickman RIP
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
It has just been announced by his family that Alan Rickman has died of cancer aged 69. Notable for his appearances in Harry Potter as Severus Snape.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will always remember him for his portrayal of the Sheriff of Nottingham in 'Robin Hood Prince of Thieves'. These lines are burned into my memory:

Sheriff of Nottingham: Wait a minute. Robin Hood steals money from my pocket, forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it?

[Scribe nods]

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

A brilliant actor who will be missed.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought his most famous role was Hans Gruber in DIE HARD

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I loved Alan Rickman. He was a character actor that should have been a leading man, but he just got those roles on the stage. Except for Snow Cake, I think he was always a supporting actor in films. Often he was the best thing in the films.

Everyone is saying Harry Potter and Die Hard. I would put Galaxy Quest at the top of the list over them all. He was equally great at drama and comedy. Also January Man and Love Actually and the already mentioned Robin Hood. Lots more work in plays and as a director. Above all, he was well respected by his fellow actors and sounded like a wonderful guy in interviews.

He never signed any certified trading cards for Harry Potter. I don't know why, but I wish he had. RIP Mr. Rickman, you will be fondly remembered.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Sad news.

Besides the many other movies he virtually stole with only a supporting role, he was howlingly funny in the political satire "Bob Roberts" opposite Tim Robbins.

As shadowy power player Lukas Hart, he was perfectly cast. If you've not seen it, just imagine Alan Rickman in a sort of Southern drawl referring to hospitalized candidate Bob Roberts, after an apparent assassination attempt on his life, thusly:

"Here was a man that not only had a brilliant mind and a wonderful wit, but could also sing! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and pray.”

Rest in peace, Alan Rickman, truly one of the best.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr. Rickman...

He was a Great Actor and from what I have read and heard, He was an even Better Person...

You will be missed.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was brilliant casting to hire him for "Robin Hood," but yeah, this all started with "Die Hard." It was a classic action movie and Hans Gruber was a well-written villain, well-played. He was a modern gentleman pirate having no qualms shooting people who thought they were calling his bluff, but he wasn't a monster, giving a pregnant hostage a couch to rest on.

Alan Rickman had a uniquely deep voice not easy to mimic (I've been working on it for years) and he appeared memorably in a number of movies in different genres (my stepdad liked him best in "Quigley Down Under") so his career will have a particular resonance as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I thought his most famous role was Hans Gruber in DIE HARD

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Alan Rickman

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post