Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Game of Thrones Final - Spoilers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Final - Spoilers
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Wanted to start a thread in case anyone cares to discuss the 8th and final season of Game of Thrones. I put spoilers in the title so that people can talk about details, just try not to post immediately after an episode as some time zones haven't seen the latest one yet.

So this is a good point two episodes in if anyone wants to start. We know the big reveal, that everyone probably guessed a couple of seasons ago, is out. Jon is the legitimate male heir to the throne and Dany is his aunt.

Bummer.

Next week comes The Battle of Winterfell against the Night King's dead army. I'm afraid we are going to lose a bunch of characters in that one and some will be favorites. I really liked Jaime making Brienne a Knight. I'm sure one or the other or both will die next week. Anyone with predictions or comments, let it fly here.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Watching Arya get laid was uncomfortable. Like finding out my little sister just had sex!!

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Pretty surprising episode 3 for me.

I figured they had to defeat the Night King in this one, but I never thought Arya would be the one.

I thought more of the favorites, at least one or two really big ones, would go down. Jorah, you always knew he was going to die for Dany. Lyanna, that was a shame but she went out huge. Theon, finally redeemed himself a little. Beric, guess he'll stay dead. And Melisandre, never could figure out what she was, in the end she got what she wanted. Dolorus Ed, he saved Sam, but more a minor character. And of course The Night King.

Great episode and lots of surprises. I guess the last 3 is back where it started, the taking of King's Landing. My own prediction is that Sansa will kill Cersei in the end, but can't hazard a guess as to who will be on the Throne. Neither Jon nor Dany really deserve it at this point and too many people keep saving them.

At least my personal favorites Tyrion, Jaime and Brienne are still in the game. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Loved the episode but I have to admit I am a bit disappointed that the whole 7 season and two episode build up to "Winter is Coming" is over in one major battle.

I guess I was hoping to see winter get all the way down to King's Landing.

Arya taking out the Night King was totally a great call.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the problem now is that it kind of takes Arya out of the hunt for another big head. A lot of people were betting that she might be the one to kill Cersi, but taking down the Night King puts her out of it for me. One character can't kill all the big villains and I think Arya has had her quota now. She still might not make it to the end because you know they are going to have to kill some of the big favorites pretty soon, just for the sentimental value.

In episode 3 I also liked that Sansa and Tyrion kind of got together. Of the main characters, those two really had it more miserable than the others, although they all had it pretty miserable. There really was not a lot of happiness in this series for anybody.

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Cersei is on Arya's list, so she's still a possible. I think Jaime will be the one to kill her, though. The Valonqar prophecy that Maggy the Frog gave to a young Cersei has all come true so far. Valonqar means 'little brother' and both Jaime and Tyrion are younger than Cersei, even if Jaime is younger only by a few minutes. Part of the prophecy was: "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

Arya was the perfect Night King killer which was perhaps the only thing Melisandre truly got correct("blue eyes"). She could see a hint of what Arya would become when they first met, although she wasn't completely sure of all the facts until it became more and more apparent.

I agree that ep 3 almost felt anti climatic, though. And most of the main characters should have died about 5 times each! It almost seemed too simple to kill a threat like the Night King and White Walkers, that have been around since the first episode(and the first pages in the book). I think there might be something more to come from Bran. Something odd was going on with the stares between him and the Night King.
Unless they're just going to use Bran as a lazy plot explanation where they need backstory and don't have the time...because he's seen and can see everything. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the episode. There were a number of surprises in it, which was good. Arya at the end really was a stunner for me. I was thinking they might end the episode on a cliffhanger or maybe Theon would muster something last second. . . so that was awesome.

The only negative for me in the episode was that I thought the battle plan against the Night King was stupid. I understand why they did it how they did from a cinematic standpoint, but it just didn't make sense, for example, to send the Dothraki off to fight the wights before they could even see the wights. The wights were in catapult range, they should have just been showering the wights with catapult fire until they were closer. Visually that scene was fantastic though. I also didn't realize the tree was in Winterfell, so having a plan that included the Night King breaching Winterfell seems questionable at best.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I think Jaime will be the one to kill her, though.

This crossed my mind as well. It would be an interesting full circle from the first season.

Another thought I had is that Jaime attempts to kill Cersei and dies....then Brienne kills her.

Does anyone else think that Arya now has a legitimate claim to the throne of Winterfell? She certainly would win the popular vote.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cersei is on Arya's list, so she's still a possible. I think Jaime will be the one to kill her, though. The Valonqar prophecy that Maggy the Frog gave to a young Cersei has all come true so far. Valonqar means 'little brother' and both Jaime and Tyrion are younger than Cersei, even if Jaime is younger only by a few minutes. Part of the prophecy was: "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." Smile

Yes, that's an excellent point to go back to the prophecy, but I would take it up differently.

Tyrion has already killed his father. Jaime never had the stomach to kill his twin and lover, no matter how much he wanted to. Besides I'm pretty sure Jaime will die in battle, possibly saving Brienne.

Little brother fits Bran. It doesn't say her little brother. Don't forget, first episode, Bran is in his condition because Cersei ordered Jaime to throw him off the tower. Wouldn't be bad if he took her out in the end either.

mykdude, To the Iron Throne, no. At this point I think only Dany and Jon would be legitimate heirs. To King of the North, maybe. To ruler of Winterfell, certainly. But Sansa has a better claim and better brains for both those, assuming Jon takes the Iron Throne.

Or everybody could die and we might end up with Sansa on the Iron Throne and Tyrion as her Hand and Brienne as Captain of the Guard, which I like, but I don't expect will happen. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I'll throw another spanner into the mix. If Jaime dies before reaching Cersei, which I hope doesn't happen, but probably will, Roll Eyes Big Grin then maybe Arya could wear his face and kill Cersei. That would wrap up the "brother" killing Cersei AND Arya getting closure for her list.
The Hound has to kill his zombie brother the Mountain too at some point.

As to whom the Throne will be taken by. Ahhh...ummm... anyone's guess is good at this point. So many options, motives, right, ability... All theories seem possible.

I would love for Tyrion and Sansa to get together. Although she was telling him why they wouldn't work, the way they looked at each other hiding behind that tomb later, something definitely passed between them. I was hoping it might be a kiss... *sigh*
It would be so cool if the words from back when they married about Tyrion not touching Sansa until or unless she asked him to, reached that point. I thought we were nearly there behind that tomb...no, not lusty fumblings...too many dead things running about Big Grin , but it gave me a hopeful smile. Smile

I'd definitely like your Sansa, Tyrion and Brienne set-up. Thumb Up

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

mykdude, To the Iron Throne, no. At this point I think only Dany and Jon would be legitimate heirs. To King of the North, maybe. To ruler of Winterfell, certainly. But Sansa has a better claim and better brains for both those, assuming Jon takes the Iron Throne.

I was only referring to the North. Would be an interesting dynamic shift between Sansa and Arya. ;-)

But they can't cheat and somehow give Sansa the Iron throne.

Quite honestly, when you consider non war time year to year operations, Tyrion is the most qualified to rule. Razz

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Quite honestly, when you consider non war time year to year operations, Tyrion is the most qualified to rule. Razz

He might yet. There has been a long standing theory that Tyrion is not a Lannister at all, but another Targaryen from the Mad King himself. They got this idea a couple of seasons' back when Dany's dragons didn't eat him. I liked it up until it became obvious that Jon Snow was a Targaryen. I mean how many secret children are these people going to have anyway? Big Grin

So its possible that they have a few different ways to come up with a surprise King or Queen even with only 3 episodes to go. And of course they could just kill everybody and give it to The Hound. Big Grin Or they could just play it safe and plop Jon down. I only hope that after watching it all this time we all feel good about the ending, whatever it is. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Little brother fits Bran. It doesn't say her little brother. Don't forget, first episode, Bran is in his condition because Cersei ordered Jaime to throw him off the tower. Wouldn't be bad if he took her out in the end either.

I speculate on Bran warging into his direwolf Summer after Summer is reanimated by the Lord of Light, then killing Cersei. There's got to be some hook for why they brought Jon's wolf back, and I expect the fire wights to start popping up by the time of the next battle; how else is the Winterfell army going to match up to the Lannisters? The warging theory is weak but it's one of the plot threads that should be readdressed before we're through.

I can't see either Tyrion or Jaime or Arya doing a regicide repeat. Cersei's plot also should have more intrigue involving the unborn child (maybe the child is Tommen reincarnated or wighted). Sam survived so he should pursue unfinished business with Dany. And Varys still might have some work to do as a closet Targaryen.

I inferred the setup for the killing of the Night King enough so that I was yelling "Where's Arya?" during the confrontation.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, got to admit I didn't go for episode 4. Although there are always bits to like, it was more misses than hits for me.

From a practical standpoint and having no military background at all myself, there are some huge holes in this military operation in this episode. The tactical mistakes Dany and Jon made here bothered me more than the shaky battle strategy of episode 3. For one thing it seemed to me that Dany, with her one dragon, should still have been able to easily burn up those ships.

From a personal standpoint, they continue to push the idea that Dany is going to go all madman on us and Jon is the unifing force for the Kingdom. Fine, except that Jon remains a very dim bulb for me and always has been. Great that he's ptrobably the only one that doesn't want to be King. Not so great that everyone else would seem to be better at it. Kind of a shame if, after all the passion and conniving, the worst applicant gets the job.

Brienne and Jaime. I liked this couple all series and I kind of wish that they had stayed the way they were. Now she will probably get her heart broken like a bunch of others when she was her own woman. I don't think Jaime can survive, he did do all those bad things and redemption in GoT means death.

Sansa and Tyrion, I wish they would bring it on. There is no reason I can think of why Cersei didn't kill Tyrion there and then, so that's another practical mistake done to keep him alive.

The death toll was low and fairly inconsequential, except for one less dragon. Missandei was shocking, but at the same time you knew that both she and Grey Worm were the kind of favorite characters that probably would go. He might be next or they could just let him slid. He will get some revenge either way.

One thing about this longer episodes, they pack too many quick scenes in it. Run out of space to even mention Bronn, Arya, The Hound, Euron and even much of Ceresi. And what ever did happen to Yara Greyjoy. Is she dead or a surprise? If dead, it would have been nice to tell us. Big Grin

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
(There really is a Starbucks store everywhere....)

'Game of Thrones' viewers spot odd object during Winterfell celebration

What many people love about “Game of Thrones” is its meticulous attention to detail, but Sunday night eagle-eyed viewers spotted something that was out of place in Winterfell.

While Jon Snow and Tormund Giantsbane are celebrating the victory over the Night King, the camera pans to Daenerys Targaryen who appears to be upset. It is later revealed that she doesn’t like that Snow was receiving all the attention over the victory in Winterfell.

When the camera cut to Daenerys sipping the wine, social media users were quick to point out an item that was out of place. A cup from out of the realm appeared to be sitting on the table. At roughly the 17:50 mark in the episode, a to-go coffee cup can be seen on a table:

Social media users suggested it was a Starbucks cup that had been left while the scene was being shot.

It’s unclear whether it was a Starbucks cup or another kind of coffee cup. But it did not appear to be an item that would be regularly seen in Westeros.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Didn't catch that. It's great, the coffee maker should make an ad. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
They mention that Yara has retaken the Iron Islands. I assume that was one of the messages they had the papers of at their council.

A few questions marks for me:
Why didn't Missandei grab Cersei and jump? She knew she was probably going to die anyway, why not attempt it?
Why didn't Cersei just kill Dany's group? It's not like she cares about rules?!
Euron must question how Tyrion knew about Cersei's pregnancy when he'd only found out very recently himself.
How did Dany not see Euron's ships? She was above them.

Everyone is going to Kings Landing except Sansa. No idea what they're going to do with that. Lots of options and paths.

Jaime and Brienne was bitter sweet. But it doesn't mean they're over. When has this show ever played by its own rules. Last week we should have had lots of main character deaths. We expected it because it's what this shows does. But, no, the death toll was small, and after this week, aside from Missandei and another dragon everyone important is still standing. Smile
Maybe that's the twist, everyone important survives! Big Grin (yeah, yeah, wishful thinking, I know!)

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
They mention that Yara has retaken the Iron Islands. I assume that was one of the messages they had the papers of at their council.

I must have missed that, but still don't get it. I thought she was a prisoner. Confused

Yes, lots of good questions. Little things and big details are not adding up in their effort to end it. Also there has to be some time given in the finale to provide closure for whoever is left standing. This makes me think that the big battle will be next week. Hate to have this just end too fast after eight seasons, but afraid it will.

posted Hide Post
You must have nodded off Big Grin , Yara was Euron's prisoner but she was rescued by Theon(she punched him for leaving her when he dived overboard, when Euron captured her...so everything was sorted out between them Smile ) then they parted ways, with Yara going to retake the Iron Islands and Theon going to Winterfell.

Well, 8 seasons is what we're getting. No doubt the ending will be pleasing to some people and annoying to others. It all depends on which characters and motives are your most favoured and whether the result is one you wanted, hoped, assumed or are satisfied with. Going by all the masses of theories for each episode, it will probably be as big a range of views on the finale.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Darn, I did. That's what I get for skipping around. Big Grin When its done I'm going to have to go back and start from the beginning and connect some of the dots I lost. I tend to be too much of a picker. I hated a lot of Arya's faceless man period and Bran's whole in and out thing, among other bits, so I've never been glued to the screen except for favorite characters and big action. Wink