Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X-Men: Days of Future Past
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
NO SPOILERS!!! This movie is so removed from the comics it's based on, you wouldn't recognise it as the same tale Shake Head

It's obvious that Bryan Singer wanted to put right the wrongs of X-Men: The last stand. It makes me wonder why he didn't make a better film. Instead of a time travel film which could have corrected his own mistakes from the first and second movies, he's just changed things on the movie he had nothing to do with.

A great looking piece, with all the effects money could buy, plus more X-Men than you could ever want. What was wrong with it? The story, for one, should have been fleshed out. This was the first Marvel film I've seen where it really should have been a two-parter. The Quicksilver (although never mentioned by name) sequence was very well done, but too similar to the Nightcrawler X2 entrance. Charles being able to walk was a mistake trying to rectify the First Class mistake of getting him shot. It was a mistake to make this part of the story. Professor X was always driven to help mutantkind. No way would he have given up his powers. There were too many stop-start moments and it seems the writer really didn't know what to do with all the characters. The one thing that was absolutely spot-on with XM: TLS was the sentinel. Why then were the ones in the film changed? Merchendise friendly?

If you have never read an X-Men comic, you will be confused and maybe feel a little short-changed. If you have read them, you will feel there could have been so much more if the franchise had been made right in the first place. The post credit clip is so poor, you wonder why you stayed for it.

As I said, a great looking piece. Shame about the rest.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They had used some elements of the "Days of Future Past" storyline in the first couple of X-Men movies, so they had to change a few things for that reason alone. For instance, Senator Kelly, who was the target of Mystique (and her "New Brotherhood of Evil Mutants", Magneto did not even appear in the comic story) could no longer be used since he'd been dispatched in either X-Men or X-Men 2.

Wolverine and Mystique's parts were much bigger in the story I think because of the popularity of those actors, especially Jennifer Lawrence, who shines here like always. With the exception of Winter's Bone, Silver Linings Playbook, and American Hustle (which were good as written), she has made a career out of elevating lousy material with her talent.

Beyond that, the source X-Men comics are constantly being retrofitted, so it's not much a leap to expect that from the movies, too, and since a good chunk of the audience can't even remember yesterday, most won't know or mind.

I thought this new X-Men movie was pretty good, but Captain America 2 remains easily the best superhero movie this year, although X-Men was significantly better than the Amazing Spider-Man 2. Neither of the new Spider-Man's have been even as good as the clunky final movie of the Raimi trilogy, which is big part of why the new Spider-Man movies fade so quickly. It's already time to reboot those, no fault of the actors, the scripts just aren't very good.

Finally, I would also add "X-Men: Days" to the list of films for which the 3-D treatment is completely unnecessary. It is rare to find a film where that process is worth the extra 3 bucks for the glasses. I'd say Coraline, Hugo, and Life of Pi are the only ones worthy of it so far.

Also, the "Transformers" trailer played, and how it is possible that franchise now looks even more stupid that it was before? Why, just add Mark Wahlberg in full "Marky Mark" mode!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have become very disappointed with the whole Marvel, DC and whoever else comic based movies that have taken over the summer releases. I honestly don't think I'm going to bother watching anymore of them. The plots are incomprehensible to people who don't follow the comics. The more characters that are on display, the worse it gets. There is just so much backstory going on, you have no idea what the main story is supposed to be.

Also, nothing ever ends, no matter what the ending is. It's like a rat in a maze, when it's over you are right back where you started.

I agree that the technology and CGI scenes are awesome, but it just feels formulated and by the numbers.

As for time travel movies, if you like the film you overlook the obvious holes that time travel would create. If it's a lousy movie you spend the rest of the night ripping into the stupid loopholes that would result. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
One thing's for sure, Warner Brothers and DC Comics might as well forget about using the Flash in the movies in a prominent way for the next few years. Love or hate this new X-Men movie, the Quicksilver scene below the Pentagon is one of the coolest scenes in any superhero movie ever. I'd expand that to action movies in general.

Evan Peters (one of the ensemble players on American Horror Story, and a card signer from that already, thanks Breygent!) absolutely owns the Quicksilver role and a solo movie with him should be dazzling. The character is going to appear in the next Avengers movie, but played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, best known as the title character "Kick-***" in that trilogy. Joss Whedon will come up with an amazing way to depicts the powers of a speedster in "Avengers 2" I'm sure, but it will be difficult to top Quicksilver in this new "X-Men". The song choice for that scene was also absolutely fantastic. The whole scene was "Avengers" and "Iron Man 1" bliss, even if the rest of the movie generally isn't quite up to that level.

I say see X-Men for Quicksilver alone, but it does beg the question

VERY, VERY, VERY MINOR SPOILER ALERT FOLLOWS:

Why wouldn't they have just brought Quicksilver along for the rest of the adventure after they saw what he could do in his big scene?

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
The post credit clip is so poor, you wonder why you stayed for it.

Okay, I haven't read any of the X-books in several years, but I didn't get the final scene. Can you please explain it to me? Email is fine, if you want to not spoil it for anyone.

And, I concur with your points. Very confusing movie. Plot was all over the place, lots of gaping holes in the storyline, and the development of characters seemed very contrived, as if to make the story work.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
.....I didn't get the final scene. Can you please explain it to me? .

A blue bloke built the ancient pyramids. Smile

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
As an X-men reader since 1982, I absolutely loved this movie. Sure it was nothing like the comics (rarely it is-Watchman was 90% of the comic and people ripped it apart) but it was fun. The Quicksilver scene is by far one of the best things I have seen in a long time, perfect symmetry of visuals and music.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it, though I have been fairly obsessively following its development from the get-go Big Grin

Yes the movie differs a bit from the comics but it's easy enough to accept the differences knowing the previous movies obviously weren't designed to build up to it. The X-movies have always been loose in their adaptation but so long as they get the essence of the many characters and setting within such a small running time then it's fine with me! (I don't see the point in a literal translation, where is the suspense or excitement if you know literally everything before hand?)

Some characters spoke very little. Did Halle Berry actually speak? I can't remember her lines (but I loved most/all of her visuals) I think I remember Colossus's entire one(!) word in the whole film. A couple of visuals happened too fast and I think I'll really need to watch them again.

I agree, the 3D felt a bit useless, wouldn't recommend it.

I am very eager to see an extended cut with that Rogue sequence, I'm glad to hear they're still putting the money and effort into finishing off the special effects for it.

I wouldn't consider these spoilers, but either way MINOR SPOILERS:

The conversation about JFK seemed entirely pointless and the worst point in the movie, though one of Mystique's disguises speaking with Jennifer Lawrence's voice was really awkward too.

Some of the television-footage type shots grated on me...

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I had no idea who the speedster was because he is never mentioned by name. I absolutely loved that scene in the pentagon. Everyone was just cracking up laughing at that scene, so much fun.

I really enjoyed the film, I've liked all the X-men films actually.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Okay, I haven't read any of the X-books in several years, but I didn't get the final scene. Can you please explain it to me?

I posted the reply in the next reply.

Thanks, Kennywood!

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post