Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Snow White and the Huntsman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow White and the Huntsman
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
I got to see this today for free and still feel cheated. This was a very typical "all the good bits are in the trailer" film. It's like a Lord of the Rings wannabe, but everyone involved hadn't seen it. The plot (?) plodded, the acting, if I wanted to be kind, was average at best and all the effects were old hat - nothing anywhere near a "Wow" factor standard.

Rename it Snore White and it would be nearer the mark.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Actually I'm kind of surprised that anyone thinks this darker Grimm inspired version of Snow White is original. One of the cable networks released "Snow White: A Tale of Terror" a good dozen years or more ago. Sigourney Weaver played the wicked step-mother, Snow White (I forget the actress) was a modern heroine, the dwarfs were poor forest men, there was no prince and so on. It got decent reviews, but then went straight to DVD.

This story seems to have expanded the part of the Huntsman and put in better special effects. If memory serves me the Huntsman was quickly killed by the Queen once she discovered that he switched the hearts, so its not even faithful to Grimm.

But the best line I heard today was from a guy at work. He said something along the lines of "So Stewart is Snow White and Theron is the Queen. Who the heck thinks Snow White is the fairest of all?" Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
It would have really brightened up the film if they'd had a small cross-over and when Snow White revived, the Huntsman shot her with an arrow and she 'dusted'. I would have cheered Elephant
The dwarves are such non-entities (8 of them), they might as well have just used small people and with the extra money the "stars" were paid, hire a script writer that cared.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I got to see this today for free and still feel cheated. This was a very typical "all the good bits are in the trailer" film. It's like a Lord of the Rings wannabe, but everyone involved hadn't seen it. The plot (?) plodded, the acting, if I wanted to be kind, was average at best and all the effects were old hat - nothing anywhere near a "Wow" factor standard.

Have you got a job as film critic for the Newham Recorder? Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
But the best line I heard today was from a guy at work. He said something along the lines of "So Stewart is Snow White and Theron is the Queen. Who the heck thinks Snow White is the fairest of all?" Big Grin

She wasn't even the fairest in the dungeon Roll Eyes

Kevin - for every "Avengers Assemble", there are 10 SWaTH.They couldn't pay me enough to sit through dross like this week after week.

I just noticed what the initials of the film spell. The dictionary definition explains why it was such a hotch-potch. The good bits must have been cut out...

Noun 1. swath - the space created by the swing of a scythe or the cut of a mowing machine

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Shame as I think you could do a good job - always like your reviews Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there another Snow White film with Julia Roberts in the theaters just 2-3 months ago ??

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Card Dude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Wasn't there another Snow White film with Julia Roberts in the theaters just 2-3 months ago ??

Yep, and another Snow White film in production for 2014. Seems they can't come up with an original story these days.

Lets take some classic film/subject matter and completely throw something wild out there to see what we can do with it...

I'm going to go with... James Bond vs. Henry VIII: The Quest for 6 wives

Posts: 1117 | Location: UK | Registered: December 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Card Dude:
Lets take some classic film/subject matter and completely throw something wild out there to see what we can do with it...

I'm going to go with... James Bond vs. Henry VIII: The Quest for 6 wives

The most "out there" film coming up must be Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter Eek Be honest, who saw that coming?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just before Borders closed its doors I saw that they had a couple of books that took the plots of Jane Austin novels and added monsters. I think one was Pride and Prejudice with zombies. Big Grin

I'm not sure what demographic these off the wall book and movie combinations are being made for, but my guess would be educated idiots. There seems to be a lot more of those lately. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
What's with all the Snow White versions all of a sudden? Not only are there these 2 films, but Once Upon A Time focussed on the character as well,

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Julia Roberts film released in March was called "Mirror, Mirror" and to date has grossed only 63 million in the U.S., further evidence that Julia isn't as big of a star as she was in the 1990s. She hasn't had a substantial hit in more than 10 years...

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Glad someone else has seen the Sigourney Weaver version, I thought it was really good, I loved how dark and twisted it was and at the time I was wishing more fairytales could be remade like it was. I must admit though it has been quite a few years since I've seen it Smile

This new one, SWaTH, when it was first announced I was interested, read that Charlize Theron was in it I got a little excited, then read that Stewart was in it and I realised it was just going to be another movie trying to cash in on the Twilight fame and lost all interest in it. I was very disappointed, and won't be waisting my money seeing it Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

Just saw it today. Pretty much what I thought.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
The previews looked good, bit disappointing that it's had such bad reviews.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
One of the benchmark effects was supposed to be the Wicked Queen turning into a flock of crows/ravens (not sure which). I've just seen the same transformation in an episode of Buffy from 13 years ago that was done better Roll Eyes

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Didn't Madonna have a similar effect in her video for Frozen years ago as well?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
Glad someone else has seen the Sigourney Weaver version, I thought it was really good, I loved how dark and twisted it was and at the time I was wishing more fairytales could be remade like it was. I must admit though it has been quite a few years since I've seen it Smile

This new one, SWaTH, when it was first announced I was interested, read that Charlize Theron was in it I got a little excited, then read that Stewart was in it and I realised it was just going to be another movie trying to cash in on the Twilight fame and lost all interest in it. I was very disappointed, and won't be waisting my money seeing it Big Grin

I finally saw this and went through the same mindset as you. I thought that the film was good, and would have been infinitely better if Kristen Stewart wasn't the titular character. I swear that girl can bring anything down and I can't wait until her career stalls because she is quite a terrible actress.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:
I swear that girl can bring anything down and I can't wait until her career stalls because she is quite a terrible actress.

I'm so glad to hear someone else that thinks the same thing!

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
You'd think being in a film from a best selling book series would be a good thing, I reckon it's gone against Kristen Stewart.

For one thing, Bella is one of the most boring characters ever and Kristen's portrayl is exactly that.

When Twilight was first released everyone seemed to go crazy for it, now I only ever hear people complaining about it lol.