Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Snow White and the Huntsman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow White and the Huntsman
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
You'd think being in a film from a best selling book series would be a good thing, I reckon it's gone against Kristen Stewart.

For one thing, Bella is one of the most boring characters ever and Kristen's portrayl is exactly that.

When Twilight was first released everyone seemed to go crazy for it, now I only ever hear people complaining about it lol.

While I do think you have a point (Bella is an AWFUL character, and a horrible choice to have a narrator), the problem for me really is Kristen Stewart. I really noticed how much I disliked her acting ability in Into the Wild, and I have consistently perceived her to be the weak link in most of the movies she has been in, the Twilight series included. I'm really bummed that she is going to be in On the Road because I love that book and I'm worried that she might spread her lack of chemistry to that movie as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being the weakest link in the Twilight series is worse than being the weakest candidate in the...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:
quote:
You'd think being in a film from a best selling book series would be a good thing, I reckon it's gone against Kristen Stewart.

For one thing, Bella is one of the most boring characters ever and Kristen's portrayl is exactly that.

When Twilight was first released everyone seemed to go crazy for it, now I only ever hear people complaining about it lol.

While I do think you have a point (Bella is an AWFUL character, and a horrible choice to have a narrator), the problem for me really is Kristen Stewart. I really noticed how much I disliked her acting ability in Into the Wild, and I have consistently perceived her to be the weak link in most of the movies she has been in, the Twilight series included. I'm really bummed that she is going to be in On the Road because I love that book and I'm worried that she might spread her lack of chemistry to that movie as well.

I don't think I've seen her in much, other than the Twilight films to be honest.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lag30240:
Being the weakest link in the Twilight series is worse than being the weakest candidate in the...

Sorry lag30240...I had to remove your political reference. Got a complaint. We try to keep politics out things here if possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:
quote:

I don't think I've seen her in much, other than the Twilight films to be honest.

I had seen her in quite a few things before Twilight, Zathura(only watched that because I loved Jumanji) and was forced to watch some horrible horror movie with her in it, don't even remember what it was called it was that bad (and not in a good way) I did read the novels before I saw the movie, and I think she made a somewhat boring character, dull and lifeless that shows no emotion. To me it seems the only sort of character Kristen Stewart can play are sulky teenagers with a bad attitude.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I guess the discussion has veered off from Snow White to the talents of Kristen Stewart in general and I have to say that I agree with the comments. She has been barely adequate in anything I have ever seen her do.

However I would also point out that Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner are not winning any awards either. In between Twilight films Pattinson has been in several romantic tearjerkers that have gone no where. The scripts were not good, but he was worse.

Lautner starred in only one movie, Abduction, and if you were unlucky enough to have seen it, you will know that his acting amounts to two expressions throughout. Were it not for his Twilight connection he would never had made it out of the audition.

Once Twilight wraps up, and the best parts are already done, I think the clock will be ticking on all of them. Wink

Posts: 10391 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In case anyone cares, the best review I saw of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter gave it one star and called it "an insipid mashup of history and monster flick that takes itself deadly seriously." The other two gave it zero stars and read among other horrible things "a total disaster" and "racially offensive."

Snow White and the Huntsman must be looking pretty good now. Big Grin

Posts: 10391 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I plan to see Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - I had read the book and liked it, and the Chicago Tribune gave it 2 stars, and my local paper 1 1/2 stars.

But that shouldn't make any difference, reviews really don't matter much. If the subject matter is something that interests you, go see the movie regardless.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
One of our tv critic shows gave Snow White and the Huntsman 3.5/5 and 4/5, which I think are the best reviews I've seen lol

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I plan to see Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - I had read the book and liked it, and the Chicago Tribune gave it 2 stars, and my local paper 1 1/2 stars.

But that shouldn't make any difference, reviews really don't matter much. If the subject matter is something that interests you, go see the movie regardless.

Oh I agree with you, reviews of fantasy/horror movies often don't get it right. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone who intended to see this, just reporting what was written.

But there is a larger tread here. Recent films are reimaging fictional tales and non-fiction history. For the most part the results have been poor. Snow White reimaged a fairy tale by claiming to be closer to the original Grimm story. The Raven made Edgar Allen Poe as the central character in the middle of a slasher movie. Now Abe Lincoln was no vampire hunter, yet this film was not made to be campy or whimsy. It is deadly serious and mixes in the Civil War, slavery and his famous speeches.

I don't mind putting real people in fictional stories if its done well. A good example from long ago would be Time After Time using H. G. Welles and Jack the Ripper, but the audience was in on the joke. These recent movies are meant to be both very dark and very serious, and I don't think anyone is buying it.

Which is a good thing to me, or we would have a flood of titles like:

George Washington, Dragon Slayer or
Teddy Roosevelt, Exorcist. Wink Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, since we were talking about Kristen Stewart figured I'd just tack it on.

Had to laugh at today's big newspaper headline, Tramp Vamp! Big Grin Seems that Ms. Stewart has been stepping out on boyfriend and fellow Twilighter Robert Pattinson with the married director of Snow White and the Huntsman, but I have a theory.

The last part of the Twilight Saga opens in December. Since the whole story has been going downhill since the first book, the last movie will show how silly the whole thing ended up. Now picture the press corps when these two stars are at the premieres together either broken up, reconciled or broken up, but maybe reconciling. Who will even notice that the movie stinks? Wink

A great publicity stunt with the director holding the bag, me thinks. Roll Eyes And if that's not the truth, it should be. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I always thought that Kristen and Robert getting together was a complete publicity stunt from the beginning haha. It certainly helped publicise the film with them actually being together in real life as well.