Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    DC Comics "Vintage" Bombshells Trading Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Comics "Vintage" Bombshells Trading Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
DC Comics are set to soon release special "Bombshell" variant covers of 21 of their comics (mostly the issues #32 in each of the "New 52" reboot line of title which began in late 2011. There are a few exceptions with the numbering as a few of the series, all monthly books, began more recently, so the Bombshell issues of those have lower numbers).

Anyway, the theme presents current DC Comics female super-heroes (and villains) in classic pinup art style as displayed on the various sort of items that kind of art was found on back in those days (basically the era of the 1920's through the 1940's).

Some examples of the way the art is presented as includes illustrations on magazine covers, a restaurant menu, a magic kit, movie posters, a road atlas, a pulp novel, the side of a WWII bomber airplane, a postcard, an airline brochure, a calendar pinup, and for our purposes, vintage trading cards on two of the titles, the Hawkgirl card pack wrapper image on "Earth 2 #24" and the Batwoman baseball card on "Batwoman #32", with both shown here.

The art across the line is exquisite and the design work impeccable. If only these cards were real! They would make a really nice subset in the next DC Comics related card set, certainly.

I don't collect many modern superhero comics at all these days, but I might pick up a few of these. Perhaps they will be issued as a portfolio, although those are seldom made these days by any of the companies, a shame, some wonderful ones were made in the 1980's and even early 1990's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I'm with you CPF.
I really like the look of these.
I think they could expand the character list to include some of the male heroes as well.
A little somethin' for everybody. Smile

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Sure, Alex Ross, for one, has made a career of painting super-heroes, male and female, in that style. He'd be ideal for Superman and Batman covers. Adam Hughes is great at pulling that look off, too, and also Russell Walks. Sean Pence could definitely do it. I'd love to see Pence or David Desbois artwork on a comic cover someday, too.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post