Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ocean's 8
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
I could be wrong, but I think Ocean's 8 might turn out to be a summer block buster that doesn't have superheroes, spaceships or monsters. It is tied into a franchise of sorts and does arguably appear to be the female equivalent of Ocean's 11. However the 2nd trailer just dropped and they both looked very sharp.

This is getting the opposite response from Ghostbusters, which had awful trailers and a negative press from the start. The early reviews of Ocean's 8 have been very good and the line up of ladies is going to pull in men and women. The clothes alone look terrific and who doesn't love a comedy caper movie, even if you know how it will end. Big Grin

This one should go big until Jurassic World opens a couple of weeks later. We'll see, I'm going anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Agreed. At first I was sceptical they were trying to push the 'all female cast' front like with Ghostbusters and a poor plot. But these trailers do look great and a really strong cast.

Though I think it's sad nowadays we have to have casts all one way or another (Eg male heavy or all female) and not just equally balanced (bit more realistic?) with the best actors to fit the job and a strong script.

But I think Hollywood's becoming a bit tedious relying on franchises and re-boots. We need original scripts again, what's up with that?

To end on a positive note I can't wait to see the film, hope it lives up to the hype and (as you said) smashes recordings until Jurassic World hits screens.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There have been rumors for years that they are going to do a TV show reboot of "The A-Team" (not another movie) with a mixed cast, male and female. I don't think that will work

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
There have been rumors for years that they are going to do a TV show reboot of "The A-Team" (not another movie) with a mixed cast, male and female. I don't think that will work

Not going to pretend to be knowledgeable about The A-Team but I think that's the kind of show which, unless they do something drastically different was of its time and place. I don't know how receptive modern audiences would be. Plus how could you replace or re-cast pop culture icons like Mr T? (Still relevant I guess?).

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The surviving cast of The A-Team (notably Dirk Benedict) have maintained that the show was specifically geared towards MEN, allowing them to smoke cigars, shoot machine guns, etc.

Whenever they had a female cast member (Amy Allen in Season 1 and part of Season 2; and Tawnia for the rest of Season 2), she didn't really last long, as the character had nothing to do, and was dispensible

And reportedly the actresses who played Amy and Tawnia stated years later that the male cast members pushed them aside, and pretty much told them that no one wanted them on the show. This was 1983-1984.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Given that element then I doubt such a re-boot with that premise would fly today. I pity the fans Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Ocean's 8 looks to be going bigger than expected in the opening weekend, but I'm not surprised if it does. Its escapist entertainment that looks sharp and funny and is filling a void not touched by all those superhero/action films. I think the time is right for this one and it cost a relatively modest $70M to make. If it catches over 40M domestically and does well when it opens internationally around June 18th, it will wind up high on the 2018 money makers list.

I plan to see it on Sunday.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I missed the weekend, but caught it Tuesday night. Ocean's 8 is made very much in the style of the other three films, but done even less as a serious heist movie and more sly comedy. I won't give away any spoilers but I'm sure everyone knows there is no real suspense here, just a few twists and the fun of watching the scheme play out. The clothes are fantastic, the Met gala looks great, plenty of cameo appearances and its really a cast effort.

Living in New York, it was amusing to see the shots of the location filming. I have been to the Met, not the Gala obviously Big Grin, but also the subway stations and restaurants were like "I've been there". A few people in the audience with me were doing the same thing. The clothes and the jewelry were also getting the "oohs and aahs".

Its not a long film and it could have used another fifteen minutes to give a little more time to develop some of the actresses parts more. I also got the feeling that a few scenes were cut out that maybe should have been left in. There are small gaps and some characters seem to know things that the audience hasn't quite seen, but maybe its something for the director's cut.

Anyway women are going to want to see this movie and for you guys, don't fight it, you will not be bored or insulted. Its not a message movie.

The cast is outstanding as casts go, but Hathaway and Blanchett walk away with it and I have not been a big fan of either one of them with the exception of The Devil Wears Prada and Thor Ragnarok. Hathaway has some of the best lines playing a supposedly dopey and egotistical actress. Blanchett didn't need many lines. She is all attitude, smirk and leather. Coming directly off of filming Thor, nobody must have told her she wasn't doing Hela the Goddess of Death anymore because she swaggers through every scene she's in.

Lots more I could say, but you get the idea. There will probably be a sequel if it makes as much money as is being projected. Its at 41.6M for the domestic opening weekend. I'm not sure there should be another one. I think the fun here might be in a one and done surprise, but you know how they can't leave a franchise alone until it bombs. Anyway, I recommend this one. Thumb Up

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Including the original with the Rat Pack, I have not really liked any of the Oceans movies, to the point of really disliking the last two. OCEAN'S EIGHT I found, with the exception of two five second chuckles, boring and time wasting.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Including the original with the Rat Pack, I have not really liked any of the Oceans movies, to the point of really disliking the last two. OCEAN'S EIGHT I found, with the exception of two five second chuckles, boring and time wasting.

Yeah, guess I forgot to mention that. If you don't like these types of wise guy buddy caper/heist films to begin with, and you're not into fashion, you probably won't like this one either. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ocean's 11 grossed about 294 M

Ocean's 12, about 184 M

Ocean's 13, about 156 M

Let's see how this one does. Hopefully well