Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Kiss Deluxe Trading cards
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kiss Deluxe Trading cards
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Excuses, excuses. Ugly cards are ugly cards Wink

I agree, the main attraction was the autograph, not the picture

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think this is the first KISS set with on card autographs. . . Bummer.

The Press Pass design is awesome -- but these are cuts:

The Cornerstone design isn't my favorite, but it's a vast improvement -- and these were never signed.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I think this is the first KISS set with on card autographs. . . Bummer.

The Press Pass design is awesome -- but these are cuts:

The Cornerstone design isn't my favorite, but it's a vast improvement -- and these were never signed.

It is. You're right, the Cornerstone ones were never signed. They were technically never even released. They were intended for a 'Series 3' set, which never came out. The only cards which ever surfaced were two promos, and the unsigned autograph cards. The design ain't great, but they're so old now, they date back to time when there were barely any autographs around, let alone decent designs.

All the Press Pass ones (two sets had autograph cards, and one had redemption cards for a signed photo) weren't cut, but they also weren't on card. It's a uniform insert that was signed and used in the cards. Basically the same as having a stickered auto, except with an insert.

They're actually really nice. I have Peter Criss from the set you've pictured there (which was called KISS 360).

The other set with similar autographs was called KISS Legend. Still the best looking KISS set to be released by anyone, along with the limited factory set 'KISS Tour Edition', also by Press Pass.

The Legend autographs used the same batch of inserts, and looked like this:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenheart,

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So there are nice KISS cuts, but we want on-cards.

And there was a great design, oh but the cards were never signed.

And now we have on-card signatures, but the cards are ugly.

Anything else? Big Grin

We have only seen a small sampling of the major autographs. Some will look better than others, as is always the case. As people never fail to remind me, if you don't like them, don't buy them. There will be many other KISS collectors happy to pick up the slack. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
if you don't like them, don't buy them

That's the plan!

People often think that same sentiment should be used as a reason to "not complain about them" too, which is daft. Especially for a product that promised to be "deluxe", and is far from it.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware of the KISS Legend cards -- they look great too. I always wanted some of the KISSignatures, but never had the opportunity to pick them up for a price I liked.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I am all for threads having long discussions. I am all for people voicing their opinions, both pro or con. I don't believe you can't say something negative, if that is how you feel, but I do like balanced responses and people that are consistent in their own likes and opinions.

This product just came out. We have hardly seen any of the autograph cards. The ones we have seen have not looked terrible, they are perhaps just not as nice as if there was a dedicated signing space. It is what they made and, to repeat another often used reply, "it's better to have them than have nothing".

What you forget is that a big part of this product is the sketches, which most of the prior posts were praising. If you pull a terrific sketch, is that not worth it? Maybe not if you only want autographs, but than you can buy the ones you do like on eBay, or not buy anything if it's not to your taste. I don't think you have to lock yourself in one way or the other. Everything has good and bad points and everyone decides which are which differently. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the responses have been consistent. The consensus is that people don't like the autograph design, and it seems to be very important.

It is also consistent than Dynamite has produced some titles that people are very interested in at announcement, but that interest often wanes due to various reasons when the product is released.

In my mind they are very close to producing some very popular sets, but keep missing on crucial aspects. With minor tweaks I think they could significantly expand the buying base to their sets.

Ultimately while this design might work for a signature on a larger item like a comic book it doesn't work for a trading card. People are fairly forgiving with comic artist signatures because they are signing their own work for 1 and for 2 they are generally of little value. . . In this case Gene and Paul's Signatures are the most premium cards in the entire product.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the responses have been consistent. The consensus is that people don't like the autograph design, and it seems to be very important.

It is also consistent than Dynamite has produced some titles that people are very interested in at announcement, but that interest often wanes due to various reasons when the product is released.

In my mind they are very close to producing some very popular sets, but keep missing on crucial aspects.

Yeah, sorry, I can't seem to find this consensus. There isn't a lot of news about this one yet, I can't even find the thread on Blowout. Only a couple of members have weighed in here. Perhaps it's on Facebook or Twitter, never use them, so I don't know.

Also don't get why Dynamite is suddenly getting criticized for generally not making cards up to collector expectations. Is that in the consensus too?

Oh well, here's my final take on it and if it's a minority opinion, that's fine. The autograph cards are done in the old style of just signing a card and it's not terrible. Some may look worse than others, some may be too busy. A KISS fan would probably be happy to pull any one of them with a signature from the Band. Anyone else can always pick and choose from individual cards. The sketch art shown looks really nice, hope they are all close to that quality. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Breygent Marketing:
SIGNED CARDS

Amy Chu
Anthony Marquez
Charles Wilson III
Kyle Strahm
Tom Mandrake
Rodney Buchemi
Michael Adams
Kewber Baal

Ok, I guess I am not a big enough KISS fan. Who the hell are these people?

Late to the party but these are all artists who work On Dynamite's comics line.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wasn't aware of the KISS Legend cards -- they look great too. I always wanted some of the KISSignatures, but never had the opportunity to pick them up for a price I liked.

Prices on those have always been mad, if they even come up for sale.

I only have my Criss one because I was lucky enough to pull it from a box.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:

Prices on those have always been mad, if they even come up for sale.

I only have my Criss one because I was lucky enough to pull it from a box.

It's awesome that you pulled it yourself! I don't have any of the signed cards, unfortunately. . .

I do have Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter's signature on a collector plate. . . Found it at an antique store and couldn't believe it was legit -- until I actually started thinking about all the KISS merch that is out there. . . I picked it up for $65 and I'm not a plate collector, but I kind of love how campy it is to have the band signing a collector plate.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Paul Stanley card 4. I have seen the two different versions of him.

Have only seen one version of Gene Simmons. Not my favorite design. Hopefully there is a better one out there.

There is also a 2018 Pop Century Gene Simmons cut card. They look like they were cut out from Gene's latest book which pre-sold signed for $20. People trying to get $90 for it on Ebay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pick up!

I don't mind the Pop Century cards, but I wish the cut didn't go off the edges of the card. . .

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ok...the "other" Gene Simmons autograph card (not the close up of his face) hit an auction and I was able to pick it up.

I really like the concert card autographs vice the face ones.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was finally able to pick up both Paul and Gene concert versions of the autos for under $40 each, which I think was a fantastic deal.