Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Mystery Science Theater 3000 from RR Parks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery Science Theater 3000 from RR Parks
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
How is there not a thread on this yet? Announced on their Facebook page yesterday. Should be awesome!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting to me. Wink

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Thanksgiving Digestion Day (to those who have emerged from their food coma). Thanks, Ted, for starting this thread. Yes -- I made the first announcement yesterday on Facebook during the MST3K Thanksgiving Marathon. Am pretty happy with the initial response of 301 'likes' and dozens of 'shares'. And I've had a lot of fun conversations with collectors who have waited 30 years for someone to do a trading card series of MST3K. I'm looking forward to diving right in (in fact, got the complete authorization and signed contract by FedEx just today).

For the next four weeks I'm finishing up assembly and packaging of the '1959 Three Stooges Reissue' retail 'wax pack' boxes ... then a little bit of time to be put in on my Basil Wolverton II: Wolverton's Women card series (which is finishing up on Kickstarter in a little over a week). THEN I can actually break ground on MST3K.

So far I've brought on board several artists: Claudiu Macarie (who did the official portrait cards for Chronicles of The Three Stooges Series 1, 2, 3 and 4), Elizabetta Stoinich who did those jaw dropping 'classy caricatures' and etching cards from Stooges series 2, and Pete Battaglioli (who did series four's sketch-back PainOramA puzzle 6-card set). Am also bringing back Lotte T. who did the delightfully strange etching cards from Stooges series five Kickstarter exclusives and the 6 'classic monster' etchings from my Halloween Kickstarter. Almost like a 'family reunion' of artists.

Am also working with Andrew Cambalik (who did the 3D anaglyph cards from Stooges series 3 and 4) and Christian LeBlanc (who did the 3D cards for Chris Irving's 'Madman Comin' Atcha in 3D').

Faerie Metal will, of course, be involved because they do stunning work AND are a sheer delight to work with.

So right now I'm 'mapping out' the general aspects of the series one release (if you liked the scope of Chronicles of The Three Stooges 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 then you know exactly what to expect with MST3K ... except this next project is being planned out with even more special production cards). In December and January I'll be actually designing the cards. REALLY looking forward to this project. And of course I encourage comments and suggestions from fellow MSTys (or MSTies) -- am compiling a database through emails received at my website including a list of fellow fans who want some promo cards that will be released hopefully during December.

Richard Parks
RRParksCARDS

Posts: 45 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What... no one's gonna post any comments about this? On Facebook it's been a FLOOD of comments and enthusiasm....

Posts: 45 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Parks:
What... no one's gonna post any comments about this? On Facebook it's been a FLOOD of comments and enthusiasm....

Emerged from the food coma here... Big Grin

This is a great idea for a trading card set, Richard! Mystery Science Theatre used to crack me up, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I loved your Grim Reaper set (got in on the original etching pledge level there) so I know you'll put together a great package with MST3K, too.

I don't really do Facebook so I'm not up with the discussion over there. Are you planning this as a Kickstarter campaign, as well?

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

What... no one's gonna post any comments about this?

I'll be honest Richard, i have no idea what this is. I am assuming it is an american thing as i have never seen it or heard of it. However, having said that i'm sure it will be a great set like all the other one's you have done.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I'll be honest Richard, i have no idea what this is. I am assuming it is an american thing as i have never seen it or heard of it. However, having said that i'm sure it will be a great set like all the other one's you have done.

Yes, I don't think you will see many comments from the UK Smile . I believe a couple of seasons were shown very late at night in the 90's ( I think I recorded some on videotape which shows how long ago it was! ) but it's pretty much a mystery Big Grin over here.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to this. I don't know how much I can buy - the wife and I are buying a new house in the spring and need to save money - but MST3K is one of my top five shows ever. If I could afford to give them $300 for their Kickstarter, I can pick up some cards.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcdjj37
posted Hide Post
Will you be featuring the new MST3K in any future releases?

For those that aren't aware there was a kickstarter campaign to bring back MST3K. As of right now it's set to debut next year on Netflix. It will feature both Patton Oswald and Felicia Day. There have also been cameos announced from Jerry Seinfeld and Mark Hammil. They also said they asked Neil Patrick Harris and Jack Black to appear as well. Talk about a potentially sweet autograph lineup!

Posts: 209 | Location: Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, it was a low budget show that ran on cable TV from 1989 to 1999, I think, where the characters poked fun at mostly old, bad sci-fi films

Sort of like the way Beavis and Butthead ridiculed music videos

There was also a theatrical film in 1996, but it was barely released and did poorly

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right ... only the fan site has 50,000 registered MSTys (fans of MST3K) and when they ran the Kickstarter to reboot the show it became the highest grossing Kickstarter. The fan base is massive. When I posted a small announcement on facebook it got over 400 likes in 24 hours and 91 shares. Not too shabby for a low budget show that ran for 10 years 25 years ago. Those who watched TWD yesterday that was Jonah Ray sitting next to 'Elvira' (Ray is one of the actors who'll be in the MST3K reboot in 2017).

posted Hide Post
We're mapping out the MST3K Trading Card series right now ... and I've already brought aboard quite a few of the artists from Chronicles of the Three Stooges as well as other artists not yet announced. Am planning the series as big ... REALLY big ... with some subsets and special cards not tried before by me or another other publishers. And of course Faerie Metal will be involved (wouldn't be a 'great card series' without Faerie Metal!)

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Got my promos today - cards 3, 5, 8. Did anyone else get any?

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think there may be a chance some of the cast might be willing to sign cards for you?
That would be the icing on what is shaping up to be a fun set.

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Great cheesy movie cards mixed with cast member inserts and autographs will definitely get my attention.

Also a big fan of the RiffTrax carry on. If you have not watched High School Musical or the Britney Spears film Crossroad without the MST3K commentary then you have not really seen it!!! Cool

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promo cards have been released

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MST3K Series One card project is moving right along. Many month's delay in the approval process and templating (the MST3K guys were very busy with the release of SEASON ELEVEN of MST3K). But, we're back on track ... approvals are happening so the major subsets are being written and designed, 4 new promo cards are in the works, the film-used relic cards are happening, I'm commissioning some REALLY good sketch card artists. Revised target release date is late summer (this year). While I was waiting for approvals to trickle in I worked on Three Stooges Theater (RRParksCARDS's seventh Three Stooges series)... and that series will release the first week of June. I won't be listing it on my website for sale because the Kickstarter saw about 82% of the entire production run sold out! There just won't be enough boxes left over to actually advertise them much. Am pretty darn happy about having a near sold out series. Anyway, MST3K Series One is moving forward nicely and is going to be a pretty big card series... anticipated for nearly 30 years!

posted Hide Post
Just in case MST3K fans are reading this, I just brought on board the 23rd MST3K Trading Cards sketch artist today. I've ONLY brought on board A-List artists -- NO one will be able to list on ebay a $10,000 'greatest sketch card ever' sarcastic listing. Very excited about having 2 dozen A-Lists artists on the project (my first card series release with official sketch cards)... it's also my first card series release with genuine film-used (or rather TV used) prop costume relic cards -- Mike's jumpsuit and Dr. Forrester's lab coat. Gonna be my most ambitious card series to date. And it's coming soon -- the first 186 different base and subset cards of Series One are currently with licensing being reviewed.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
So is this a kickstarter project or will we eventually see purchase details?

The website looks like it hasn't been updated since Oct with no mention of this set.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the most part I provide customers with email updates and notifications -- I don't update my website much (but did when I ran the Stooges Kickstarter a few months ago... and also updated it for my current Kickstarter). When MST3K Series One is available for sale it will be listed on my website.