Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Bettie Page - Leaf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bettie Page - Leaf
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted
I see a new (150 Cases) Bettie Page set by Leaf is coming in April - looks good

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Cards with actual hair of Bettie's?
That sounds a little creepy.
I'm tempted to try a few boxes, but I don't know about having a dead person's hair in my trading card collection.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look for:
CUT SIGNATURES (These fall 1-2 per case)(Benchwarmer Bettie Page autos bring $500-800 each!)
HAIR CUT CARDS (these rare cards feature Bettie Page's actual hair!)
BETTIE PAGE WORN NIGHTWEAR CARDS
1/1 SKETCH CARDS
plus an attractive 72 card base set and 2 sure to be popular insert sets.

24 Packs per box
12 Boxes per Case
6 cards per pack
1 HIT (HAIR CARD, CUT SIGNATURE, SKETCH OR WARDROBE) per box
Product releases late April 2014.

And yes, only 150 cases are being made. The solicitation does say the product may be allocated.

Still waiting to hear if I have secured anything. This info hit late Friday and it seems my reps were already out the door for the weekend.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Topps flirted with doing this set back in the 1990's, but it never came to pass. It was to be called "Bettie Page Illustrated". I think there was a promo for it.
Glad to see it now, but too bad her and her patron saint, legendary artist Dave Stevens, aren't around for it.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I thought Versicolor did a real nice job in the two series of Bettie Page cards that it put out, not all that long ago. The sketches were very well done, can't even remember seeing a really bad one.

Wonder what happened that Leaf picked it up now? Is Versicolor doing anything else in cards?

Seems like there is not much info when it comes to the comings and goings of card manufacturers sometimes. Frown

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heh, I didn't know that was an actual set, I thought they were just and endless series of promos. Smile
I'll have to check into picking those up. The promos I saw were terrific.
Was that set comprised of original art commissioned especially for the cards?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyafterdark:
Cards with actual hair of Bettie's?
That sounds a little creepy.
I'm tempted to try a few boxes, but I don't know about having a dead person's hair in my trading card collection.

Breygent's Marilyn Monroe Update Boxed set had a few cards purported to contain some of her actual hair. I have two sealed sets of those that I just can't bring myself to open. They are already beautiful in their foil laden sealed red boxes as is, and the possibility of either of them containing an MM cut signature (or handwriting) card makes them a fine mystery best unrevealed (for now!).
And why stop at a little creepy, when there's very creepy?
I'm actually saving them to open in the hopes of finding one of the hair cards as soon as cloning is possible. Talk about being about to truly authenticate the hair as being hers. Were it used to make a clone, and that clone then turned out to be Marilyn Monroe, you'd know for sure you had the real thing. Ah, science!
If someone gets the Bettie hair card and eventually makes a clone of her as well, we should introduce them. I'm sure they'd get along famously, being such unique and iconic beauties who also, as it turned out were both quite intelligent. I'd be interested in watching the new "Cosmos" TV series with them and having an in-depth discussion of it, after which we might all playfully wrestle. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Heh, I didn't know that was an actual set, I thought they were just and endless series of promos. Smile

It was called the Bettie Page Private Collection and came out in two series, Box 1 in 2010 and Box 2 in 2013. The format was unique, a premium box, meaning the whole set and one sketch was in each tin. The first had a 50 card base set and the second had a 72 card base set. I believe the base cards were all original art, I could be wrong.

The sketches were all Bettie Page in various poses based on her pictures. I didn't pre-order, so I got only one tin from the first series and never found anything from the second one. It wasn't really a subject that I went looking for, but I did appreciate the quality of the product and as I said, the sketches I saw online were generally top drawer.

I think you'll like them, good hunting. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Versicolor did 2 sets of Bettie cards, each had all original art for the base and chase cards. Very nice sets. Getting harder to find sealed boxes.

As for Versicolor, I was told they have no new sets in the works at the moment when I inquired about promos for Chicago.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Just a quick note to correct one thing : both sets are actually 50 cards + checklist.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Szym:
Just a quick note to correct one thing : both sets are actually 50 cards + checklist.

That's weird. I took the info on the Bettie Page Versicolor sets straight from the NSU price guide. Box 1 has a set of 50, but Box 2 is listed as 72 cards. That might be including the 12 Lost Subset and the 12 Metallic.

And of course there were many promos to chase for both series.