Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Questionable Walking Dead Signature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questionable Walking Dead Signature
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent way long reading through some of those Twitter responses. Good on Morgan for even responding, though he may have inadvertantly opened a can of worms. And people calling for Topps' collective head on a plate is silly. I'm sure this was a case of an agent signing a bunch of stickers. With or without Morgan's knowledge, but I imagine he would not have responded if it had been forged knowingly.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
His signature looks different on all of the cards shown in the scans, in my opinion, although he insists he always signs the SAME way

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Plus he has a tall signature....forcing him to sign a sticker would have an impact I would think.

Still if it gets card companies away from the BS of stickers I would be happy.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Very unfortunate to have questionable authenticity again on cards that are supposed to be certified. And of course it would be on one of the more sort after signatures from Walking Dead. Roll Eyes

I agree that Morgan seems to have an inconsistent autograph, at least on the examples shown. Still, if he himself goes out on a limb and says it doesn't look like his signature, who would know better? He probably doesn't know the extent that it puts TOPPS in hot water. It's a sticker. Maybe they put on the wrong sticker. Maybe he just denies doing it at all. It's a grey area even to hold the celebrity to it. They sign X number of stickers and have no idea when or where they will show up. If they signed 100, and somehow 200 stickers get distributed over different products, how would anyone know? So you can't really lay the responsibility on Morgan, even if TOPPS wants to. I'm sure they're not happy he blew the whistle, but again he probably didn't realize it's a can of worms.

As for it maybe being Jeffrey DeMunn, anything is possible, but it doesn't really look that close to the other sample shown either.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was reading this the other day, and looking at autographs.

I disagree completely that it's Jeffrey DeMunn's autograph by mistake. It definitely isn't.

I also disagree with Morgan's claim that he signs his full name for autograph cards, and always makes sure the "Jeffrey" includes the 'y'. He's never done either of these things in any set, stickered or on card. Or on personally signed photos, for that matter. He consistently signs exactly what he claims he never signs... "Jeff D Mor".

The stickered one in question is definitely an attempt at Morgan's signature. Whether or not it's genuine, who can say? It looks close enough to me that if I had one, I would not have questioned it.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's quite possible so long a time has passed since he signed the stickers that with his busy schedule he has completely forgotten signing them!

I am sure signing a physical card with your photo on is much more likely to be remembered than a sheet of blank stickers.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
It's quite possible so long a time has passed since he signed the stickers that with his busy schedule he has completely forgotten signing them!

I am sure signing a physical card with your photo on is much more likely to be remembered than a sheet of blank stickers.

Yeah, this. To be honest, it makes me wonder if he's ever signed stickers and only recalls signing cards.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Like others have already said, he actually very rarely signs the "Y" in his first name. So I don't know why he said he always does. He seemed so adamant in telling the original tweeter that the autograph was fake, I think he didn't think it through enough. But I am of the opinion that he signed all these cards and stickers. They're certainly not Jeffrey DeMunn. That's not at all like how he signs his name.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I agree that Morgan seems to have an inconsistent autograph, at least on the examples shown. Still, if he himself goes out on a limb and says it doesn't look like his signature, who would know better? He probably doesn't know the extent that it puts TOPPS in hot water. It's a sticker. Maybe they put on the wrong sticker. Maybe he just denies doing it at all. It's a grey area even to hold the celebrity to it.

I think my problem is that if a celebrity who signs a certain way is forced to put it in a space not conducive to their signature habit then it will come out all sorts of awful.

There is nothing natural to forcing JDM to signing stickers. He signs high and short, all of his sticker sigs look bad.

I mean you don't want to argue with a guy about his own signature but none of the sticker sigs look like his autograph.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
There is nothing natural to forcing JDM to signing stickers. He signs high and short, all of his sticker sigs look bad.

I mean you don't want to argue with a guy about his own signature but none of the sticker sigs look like his autograph.

That's true and there is the possibility that he doesn't even realize he's looking at one of the stickers or even knows or remembers that he was signing stickers for cards.

We assume that celebrities have some knowledge of the autograph collecting and card collecting hobbies because they engage in paid signings and should understand certain basics, but some just leave things to the agents and don't ask. Some even still think there is nothing wrong with sending back autopens when they are getting paid to hand sign cards or stickers by card makers. Roll Eyes

Anyway, don't know what to say about it. He does have an inconsistent signature and this is what happens. You can't tell as a third party just looking at it if its real or not. It's the reason why I find so little credibility in getting autographs authenticated by "experts". They are only comparing samples, same as we are. Big Grin

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Anyway, don't know what to say about it. He does have an inconsistent signature and this is what happens. You can't tell as a third party just looking at it if its real or not. It's the reason why I find so little credibility in getting autographs authenticated by "experts". They are only comparing samples, same as we are. Big Grin

Right! I also get the impression that the big "trusted" authentication houses tend to drop their guard when a card from a manufacturer is submitted. I think an 8x10 or some convention signed piece gets looked at a bit harder than something from the Topps or Upper Deck product line.