Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    GRIMM Season 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GRIMM Season 2
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Set boxes for me...

There's still a learning curve for some collectors, but I think the switch back to boxes/packs made a lot of people realize how wasteful that model is now.

Packs are pretty much irrelevant in today's collecting model except for sets aimed at the child collector. Packs are assumed searched the moment you set them out and most people pass.

Add to that the cost difference for basically the same thing and set boxes make the most sense.

Plus, they are easier to ship, pack at shows, and store. Smile

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Absolutely set boxes for me.

One base set, however many chase, the same number of hits as found in a "traditional" box and a lower price. What's not to like? Smile And if I buy multiple boxes then at the end of the day I have a number of complete base sets to trade/give away with no extra cards I can't get rid of.

Also, I LOVE the fact that you're proposing all of the hits for Grimm 2 will be autographs or autographed costume cards. That holds a lot of value for me.

Question though, will the boxes still contain Optispex cards?

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Set Box for me as well, although it makes opening a box "Quick" it saves the sorting and the throwing away of spare singles

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love both ways Breygent release their sets.

Breygent please keep the various parallel versions of your base sets...!

Posts: 138 | Location: England | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Set boxes for me as well, assume this is what what the Tudors format was. Worked very well and no waste.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
I prefer packs mainly because my family open the boxes together. It's hard to afford enough premium packs / boxes for everyone to share it. Let's not forget that this hobby was originally intended for kids and families.

There are any number of ways of utilizing what people here keep calling waste, but maybe it's just me. Extra cards can be given to kids in the neighborhood. Wrappers and extra cards can be used to decorate your storage boxes or binders. It's just an extension of the hobby to me.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
I prefer packs mainly because my family open the boxes together. It's hard to afford enough premium packs / boxes for everyone to share it. Let's not forget that this hobby was originally intended for kids and families.

There are any number of ways of utilizing what people here keep calling waste, but maybe it's just me. Extra cards can be given to kids in the neighborhood. Wrappers and extra cards can be used to decorate your storage boxes or binders. It's just an extension of the hobby to me.

I hear you. I don't really get the waste and throwing away comments. I guess now days it's called "collector" cards and not "trading" cards. Although, as much as I enjoy opening packs, due to a more limited budget, allocations, limited distribution, I'm moving more and more to mini-master sets.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For the majority of collectors, the net result of both styles of boxes is the same:

• 1 base set
  • However many hits (2 in this case)
  • A handful of useless subset chase cards which cost more to buy individually to complete the set than they do to buy the full set and throw away the duplicates

Therefore, set boxes win, because they cost less for an identical outcome.

That said;

quote:

I also open boxes often with my father, and we enjoy that aspect of the hobby a lot. If the difference in price between a pack box and a set box isn't actually all that much, then we'll happily pay the little bit extra for the additional fun of opening the packs. If it's $20, then we'd rather take the saving because we can probably buy an extra hit with that.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another aspect of set box I like is a pre-sorted base set. After several boxes of packs I hate sorting through all the cards. Set boxes also provide a nice box to store your cards in unlike pack based boxes.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Tirohn:
Another aspect of set box I like is a pre-sorted base set. After several boxes of packs I hate sorting through all the cards. Set boxes also provide a nice box to store your cards in unlike pack based boxes.

I love sorting the cards. It gives me another reason to look at them.

I always try to put together one set to not mess with and one or more to look at.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Tirohn:

Me too. Can handle a few boxes, but sorting a whole case is a nightmare. I remember they used to come with 2 full base sets, so you'd end up with over 20 sets. Not much fun!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who replied and sent me emails.
The set in a box looks like the big winner

thanks again

Tom

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, Tom. We bought 2 cases of Grimm, and were looking forward to season 2. We likely will buy one or two sets, but we will not invest in cases. We'll find something else to do with the money we have saved for that. There simply is no fun in opening a box with a couple of hits and a pre-packed set for us.

Very disappointed, but I respect the decision.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, there goes my case purchase. Bummer. Well, can't please everyone.

Posts: 7 | Location: 60563 | Registered: May 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well I am pleased and will definitely be buying a case if the format is set in a box Thumb Up .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
opening a box is still like opening packs as you are opening 1 big pack and getting different hits and chase cards.
when opening packs most have nothing but cards in them

just my thoughts to pass along.hate to lose you guys

Tom

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I Grimm 2 wasn't on my radar (never seen the show), but now that it's set boxes I'll definitely look at picking some up!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry to hear that, Tom. We bought 2 cases of Grimm, and were looking forward to season 2. We likely will buy one or two sets, but we will not invest in cases. We'll find something else to do with the money we have saved for that. There simply is no fun in opening a box with a couple of hits and a pre-packed set for us.

Confused I thought the reason that you liked traditional packs/boxes was because it was too expensive to buy enough boxes for each family member to open? If you bought cases before why not buy them now that they're in set box format? A case will still yield plenty of boxes for your family to enjoy opening and finding the hits. The only difference would be no extra base cards per box.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom - I asked prior but do you still plan on including Optispex cards in with the Grimm 2 boxes?

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
quote:

Confused I thought the reason that you liked traditional packs/boxes was because it was too expensive to buy enough boxes for each family member to open? If you bought cases before why not buy them now that they're in set box format? A case will still yield plenty of boxes for your family to enjoy opening and finding the hits. The only difference would be no extra base cards per box.

If you only plan to buy a few boxes of a product, like I plan to do on Bates Motel, the premium pack boxes are not worth it to us because we open as a family. There is simply no fun in opening what is essentially one pack as a family.

If you plan to buy a case, you probably plan to enjoy it quite a bit and milk every bit of fun you can out of it. 12 packs are not the same as 12 boxes. 12 boxes of a product will sometimes last us weeks. That's a lot of entertainment and family time for a reasonable cost in that. 12 packs would be opened in 12 minutes...

The hits are only part of the point. It's about something that we choose to do together. I know that a lot of people collect alone. I hope they are able to enjoy it as much as we do. It's just been my experience that almost everything in life is better when shared. It's hard to share a 30 second experience the way you can a 15 - 30 minute experience.

We can afford cases when we know about a product for more than a year, like with Grimm. The product was great, but we rarely spend that kind of money. It was an exceptional set that Breygent exceeded our expectations with.

The difference of opinion / point of view here is that I am hobbyist. It's the experience and the time / care with it that matters, not just the hits. Maybe other people are just collectors, which I am not. They are different things.