Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Jac.kass -- Zerocool's second release.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jac.kass -- Zerocool's second release.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
If you search on your favorite search engine for 'zerocool *******' you can find a fair bit of information spread across various random sites -- many that I've never heard of.

There isn't much at all on the ZeroCool site: https://zerocool.com/

Seems like there are 9500 boxes. I assume there are a bunch of additional boxes being used for promotion like the previous release considering I am seeing box breaks already.

This preview break seems to have pulled Tony Hawk auto (with a terrible photo):
https://www.blog.loupetheapp.com/2022/04/01/*******/

It also lists autographs for several other pretty well known celebs, but the other sites I've seen have only shown pictures of what seem to be Jac.kasscrew who I am not familiar with -- except Knoxville. I have not seen the new J.ackass film, so maybe the signers are from that, but I didn't see anyone else from the classic Jac.kass crew outside of Knoxville.

Looks like the same dutch auction style release as before, and the sale starts on April 5th.

It seems like Zerocool is totally ignoring the existing collector base given where it is being talked about. Getting new eyes in the hobby is a good thing, but their approach of talking these up as an investment in various places turns my stomach, and saying they are the first manufacturer to focus on culture and non-sport cards is insulting.

I really despise their first release, and I find their tag lines 'fair pricing' and 'equal access' insulting and laughable.

If this were a different manufacturer I'd probably be interested. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So apparently you can't say J a c kass on here . . . that's what all the ******s are above -- without the spaces, of course.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Why do I get the feeling that "Fair Pricing" is only good while the hobby is in a hype state?

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Why do I get the feeling that "Fair Pricing" is only good while the hobby is in a hype state?

Indeed.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is a built in price floor.

9500 boxes is a lot of boxes -- although if this is anything like the first release a box may only contain like 10 cards.

I'll be curious to see what this sells for. . . especially when the auction starts tomorrow with virtually no details.

posted Hide Post
Tons of set details are on Zerocool's website.

I can't link to the page because Card Talk will ***** parts of the link.

The autograph list is pretty impressive with 32 signers.

10,000 boxes made -- 500 being held back for promotion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Being held back for promotion sounds vague.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm assuming that the claim of "Fair Pricing" is based on the Dutch Auction style for determining the price point of the initial box release. Prior to seeing Zerocool's VeeFriends I had never heard this mentioned as a way to establish SRP pricing. The big difference between that first title and Jacka$$ is 8,700 more boxes, not counting all those free promotional boxes handed out to reviewers. Not that it should influence them naturally. Wink

Now it would be hysterical if all bidders decided that they weren't going above $10 a box. That would sink the Dutch Auction model right there Big Grin , but of course it can't and won't happen. For one thing, buyers are not that disciplined or organized and there will always be ones who are delighted to over pay. For another thing, the maker wouldn't allow it.

Of course there is a floor price to Jacka$$ boxes! The cards cost something to make, they know exactly how much, and Fanatics/Zerocool knows the profit margin they need to make back the money they want. If the Dutch Auction results in more than they would have asked for, terrific. If the final price turns out to be below cost, you can bet it will be halted. No one is opening up with a "fire sale".

I looked at the Jacka$$ autograph checklist of 32 signers. I know three of them and I don't want them. I hope that Zerocool keeps its title choices to the types of "culture" subjects that they are "experimenting" on now. When they move into the popular Topps non-sport licenses, or pick up new licenses in "culture" that might be popular, that's when the real fun start.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious what the box price will be on these.

On Blowout they are estimating 1 autograph per 1.5 boxes.

A box is 10 5 card packs -- no guaranteed hits.

To me these are basically blaster boxes with better odds for an auto, but people on Blowout are estimating $100+ or even $250+ depending on who is commenting.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:

2022 Zerocool Jackass Boxes Rarity

Silver - 4,979 boxes
Red - 2,480 boxes
Green - 1,490 boxes
Purple - 890 boxes
Rainbow - 50 boxes
Black - 50 boxes
Gold - 10 boxes
Cracked Ice - 1 box
The Rainbow boxes are reserved for cast/crew or promotional release.

Posts: 12153 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
https://www.cardboardconnectio...ackass-trading-cards

Full checklist so people will know what they are bidding for.
I love the "Once all bids are reviewed, the lowest successful price is the actual amount paid by all winning bidders for the 9,500 available boxes" of course what they mean is the lowest "acceptable" price.

Posts: 12153 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
this is getting mercenary now
9 types of boxes do we have to bid on each type seperately
As there is only 1 cracked ice who gets it is it randomly sent out or do you have to use the dutch auction system to get it alone if so it could go for thousands same with the other colored
These guys are only robbers and pirates if they go on using this system no one will ever be able to get any cards as they seem to have the Non Sports and the Sports eventually tied up
All bidders for the cracked ice box should only bid up to 20$ on the box then see what happens
I would say it would be removed from the sale for some reason
These guys are only THIEVES

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:

These guys are only THIEVES

Before we all get sued, i'm sure the people selling these have got themselves covered for any claims of wrong doing.

J. Cheever Loophole...attorney at law.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a fan of Jacka$$ and a entertainment card collector I've been thinking about this set. . .

I appreciate the autograph list, although there aren't exactly any A-List celebs to get for Jackass -- and to me only a couple of the autographs are really desirable -- most IMO are headed for the discount bin -- and many of the best signers have already signed before.

The 'chase' cards are lazy -- just regular cards printed in different rarities, then various colored foils and serial numbers for parallels.

This set seems like it was designed for investor/influencer bros. The cards seem nice. . . but they aren't any fun. Where are the fun cards -- skateboard stickers, lenticulars, shopping cart relics?

I'm not sure who is buying this. . .

Can Zero convince investors that Jacka$$ is a good investment?
Sports card guys don't seem to be interested based on comments I've read.
Entertainment card collectors may be interested, but will they participate in the dutch auction? How many already feel alienated/insulted by Zero (I know I do)?
Can Zero bring new people in to the hobby? Perhaps.

It will be interesting. . .

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There is another significant aspect to all this that we haven't even been talking about because much of the discussion in this thread and the other Fanatics thread has centered around card collector interests. What about dealer interests?

As far as I can tell based on what I've read, Fanatics seems to be cutting out the middleman. It looks like everyone is supposed to go through this Dutch Auction process. You are bidding on the same box price whether you are buying one box or 20 cases. If you really want to make the cut, you almost have to overbid because you don't know where the cut is coming in.

So what does this do to the existing card food chain? There are large distributors, dealers and bulk buyers who are funneling card orders to smaller dealers and hobby stores. There are large internet and eBay dealers that are getting their stock from bigger dealers. Hobby stores almost always are using a single distributor. They buy wholesale and sell retail and everyone bumps it up higher if there is greater demand.

Now there is no wholesale price, unless I am getting this wrong. The dealer or distributor has to bump the price up immediately to make a profit on the next lower level of the food chain. Meanwhile individual buyers can be joining the Dutch Auction from the start and don't need to buy from any of them if they get in themselves. It also would be cheaper if they did get in by the auction, because the box prices on the market must automatically go higher for any dealer to make money.

I really can't see how this will work unless there is some other non-public dealings going on or the large dealers/distributors just can't carry any Fanatics products or the cards are selling as investments and everyone is making money on all levels. Or unless Fanatics sets up a traditional dealer network at some point, but that would be replacing this auction business.

I'm curious enough to ask if any of the people on Card Talk who are in the card selling business could weigh in on these developments and what it might mean for the hobby and their own businesses.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All good Wolfie I wont even hire a Attorney at Law
I am sure that they will get more out of their box of Cracked Ice than they will get out of me
With their last issue there was a degree one degree of rarity with this issue there is 9 degrees of rarity and more stock
My interest is how are these different colored boxes going to be distributed between buyers are they blind wrapped and randomly shipped or do we have to bid say we are bidding for a red green or blue box if that is the case prices could be astronomical
And no dealer would be able to handle them and make a profit
Thus calling them ******* seems to be in line
do the asterisks look better

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
piko

From what I glean, there is no separate bidding on colors. It's just one bid and, if the bid makes the cut, they send a random selection of boxes to meet the number ordered. Apparently, the color of the box logo is the key to which selection you got.

What is unclear to me is exactly how that corresponds to the cards inside. Different colors have lower odds and rarity, but is it just the hits or all cards that match? No hits seem to be guaranteed in any box.

Unless you try to place a bid, I think you don't know precisely what it is they want, but they seem to be demanding all payment information prior to final price point. If that's right, I would see that as a problem. Why would I give my personal data to a company, when I don't even know if I can buy anything?

There are also many disclaimers on the Zerocool site telling customers that everything that happens is at their discretion. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

There are also many disclaimers on the Zerocool site telling customers that everything that happens is at their discretion.

That's pretty much the case with any product -- either you buy it, or you don't.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Still vague but vendor site states:

"500 sealed boxes are being held from circulation for promotional purposes."

Not to mention it looks like quality card design is not a factor with these zero cool releases so far.

quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

2022 Zerocool Jackass Boxes Rarity

Silver - 4,979 boxes
Red - 2,480 boxes
Green - 1,490 boxes
Purple - 890 boxes
Rainbow - 50 boxes
Black - 50 boxes
Gold - 10 boxes
Cracked Ice - 1 box
The Rainbow boxes are reserved for cast/crew or promotional release.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

There are also many disclaimers on the Zerocool site telling customers that everything that happens is at their discretion.

That's pretty much the case with any product -- either you buy it, or you don't.

Absolutely, agree to the conditions or don't start. Only this is a unique card product because the Dutch Auction aspect of setting the cutoff price is unique and some of Zerocool's disclaimers pertain specifically to their right to accept or refuse certain bids and any bidders as they see fit. You can't fight it when its on the rules page.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about dealer interests?

Yup! Been wondering about this as well. Even if Fanatics can't cant buy every card company can they pull enough from the local card store to shut em down? Are we seeing the future Amazon of trading cards?