Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Jac.kass -- Zerocool's second release.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jac.kass -- Zerocool's second release.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Any body know what the top bid was it could of been anything.

They haven't posted analysis of the Jacka$$ auction, although the top bid is largely irrelevant since all winning bidders of Jack@ss paid $101.

In the VF analysis (https://zerocool.com/veefriends-auction-recap) the highest bid was over $101,000, but that bidder still only paid the clearing price, which was $2150.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
With Veefriends there were just 800 boxes and bidders could buy up to 40 boxes I think, if they wanted them. So even if you give it the benefit of the doubt that there was no manipulation, by the Dutch Auction structure, its absolutely possible for a small number of people to dictate the cut-off point for sales when so few boxes are available.

However once you move on to traditional card set print runs, and you have 9000 boxes made, you need a lot more single box buyers, bulk buyers and dealers to bid through to that cut off price.

Its not going to settle that high unless its a limited production, truly an in demand title and carrying at least a couple of big hits. For those reasons, despite the nonsense of VF, I can't see Fanatics sticking with a Dutch Auction on every average product made in normal quantities. The buyer bids could get down below what they need to make enough money, if bidders wise up and submit low ball bids that sneak in above the cut.

Of course there are all those disclaimers, so I doubt that would be allowed. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what the final price was
It would be interesting to see how high someone was prepared to go
Looking at some of the wanted prices on E Bay it seems that some buyers regard them as worth more than what was paid per box

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks like one seller has sold 51 boxes so far with more to go. 12 boxes sold in the $190 to $200 range with all the others going to accepted best offer. Can't imagine any of em going for less than $150 at this point.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Looks like one seller has sold 51 boxes so far with more to go. 12 boxes sold in the $190 to $200 range with all the others going to accepted best offer. Can't imagine any of em going for less than $150 at this point.

That's nice profit for a quick flip.

I wonder when we will start to see box breaks -- I feel like VF shipped really quickly after the auction.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29492...2:g:N0MAAOSw-NZiV1Nv

Autograph for a modest hopeful price. Cool

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm really curious about this release.

Zerocool has published their auction recap: https://zerocool.com/jackass-auction-recap

It says things like "a significant portion of the stock (about 2/3) ended up in the hands of the largest breakers" and "Fewer hobby shops and individual collectors than we expected participated in the auction" while also indicating that there were significantly fewer bids for Jackass than there were for VeeFriends (about 35% fewer bids) despite there being 50x more Jackass cards.

There have been fewer than 500 auctions on eBay despite there being half a million cards produced.

So few auctions have been listed that many autographs have only shown up one time, if at all.

Cards that are selling are selling for more than I would have guessed in many cases.

A Steve-O autograph #'d to 100 sold for $300. That's about 10x what his Pop Century autograph sells for. The Jackass card is a nicer card, from a set based on a license and it is hard signed, but $300 seems like an insane premium.

That said that is the first Steve-O autograph to be sold from this set. A 2nd has finally been listed -- it is still an active auction, but already over $200 for a card limited to 25.

There are ~200 of each autograph made. I think the fact that so few are getting listed is driving up the sales price -- if more were being listed I think the prices would plummet.

I'll continue to watch these as there are a few autographs I would buy for the right price, but with so few getting listed I think I may be waiting for DA Cardworld's Black Friday sale to pick up some boxes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Knoxville has two auctions. One BIN for $2K and a true action currently at $227 with more than a day to go.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is the first wave of buyers outside of the DA and I think many of them might be more like the people who stand in line on the first day for the new, untested, bug-ridden Apple phones, rather than non-sport card collectors. Big Grin

Also some of these sellers got their boxes very early or perhaps got them complimentary. So what I'm saying is, I think it's too soon to draw conclusions. Wait a bit for the dust to settle. Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently not all of the buyers have received their initial orders of this product yet.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Knoxville numbered to 100 sold for $501. Well, at least it's not $2000. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm curious who is buying at that price.

I realize it is the first Knoxville autograph and the prices will come down, but you can get some pretty good Marvel or Star Wars autographs for that kind of money. Elizabeth Olsen, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hayden Christensen, Felicity Jones, Daisy Ridley -- heck for $500 you could pick up one of those autographs and maybe add in a Jeremy Renner or Cobie Smulders.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:

I'm curious who is buying at that price.

I realize it is the first Knoxville autograph and the prices will come down, but you can get some pretty good Marvel or Star Wars autographs for that kind of money. Elizabeth Olsen, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hayden Christensen, Felicity Jones, Daisy Ridley -- heck for $500 you could pick up one of those autographs and maybe add in a Jeremy Renner or Cobie Smulders.

Yeah, but what good are any of those people?
I wanted to be sure so I took a whole month to scour the entire internet, and guess what?
I couldn't find even one video of any of those so-called celebrities being kicked in the junk on purpose for money.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Zerocool has produced the insanely expensive Veefriends and the still overpriced Jack@ss so far. They seem to have taken a short break in titles, perhaps to digest the success of the Dutch Auction model and/or pause for more hype.

With both of these products I think they were testing just how many customers they could find and how far they could push it before anyone got smart. Big Grin

I don't know how Fanatics intends to handle what was or would have been Topps non-sport products, but the very fact that they could get behind Zerocool's approach means that the corporate thinking is bound to bleed into the handling of everything else they put out to a more or less extent. That's how it feels to me anyway. That it's just an acceleration of a lot of bad ideas that will rightfully drive card collectors away from new cards.

posted Hide Post
I have been watching autographs from this release slowly come down in price getting to the point where I've almost bought some. . .

Over the weekend I watched J@ckass Forever. Actually I watched the rest of it. It's taken 3 attempts to get through the movie.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I found it hard to watch. . . Maybe I am misremembering the old versions, but I feel like Forever was less fun. Like the older versions were a bunch of guys getting themselves psyched up to do crazy stunts, where this was more about people trying to inflict pain on each other.

It just didn't feel like fun to me. . . There is also a ridiculous amount of nudity. I'm not sure what the point of that was -- shock value I guess, but it never seemed to be a focus on the older versions.

The new recruits didn't really add anything for me either.

As a huge Mythbusters fan I was targeting a Tory Belleci autograph, but in watching his segment I almost felt like he was embarrassed being there. That's kinda how I felt watching it. . . embarrassed to be there.