Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Marvel Black Diamond (UD 2021)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Black Diamond (UD 2021)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Johnson:
Who is this set aimed at? Does anyone actually care about manufactured diamonds? The base cards are fine but building a set will cost a fortune. People at Blowout are loving the inscriptions but that's about it.

It's aimed at those flippers on Blowout and those sports card buyers who don't blink at $600 basketball boxes.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hello! I do love an MCU upper deck card but these were sadly too much for me for just 6 cards.I was just wondering though if someone could advise about the ‘relic’ cards which all seem to say ‘part of the production’ - does this mean they aren’t even the costume from the actor on the cards? I know with the Civil War set they did specify Screen Warn so I was happy if I pulled one of those but not sure about these?!

Posts: 7 | Location: Uk | Registered: July 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Part of the production" is a bit of a new one, but my best assumption is that its vague enough to cover everything. If it were material cut from screen worn costumes they would certainly say that, so likely from clothing not used or even from uncut reams of fabric that were left over from production.

As for the pictures, relics often have nothing to do with what's on the card.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Manufactured diamonds are just as bad as manufactured patches or other relics.

I wonder if these are these actual lab made diamonds with intrinsic value or just costume jewelry.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Manufactured diamonds are just as bad as manufactured patches or other relics.

I wonder if these are these actual lab made diamonds with intrinsic value or just costume jewelry.

Couldn't tell you, but Black Diamond sounds better than Black Cubic Zirconia. Big Grin

I do keep seeing "diamond shard" mentioned, but for intrinsic value, a diamond shard can mean very little, so it probably depends. The cards also have "gemology" in the descriptions and I don't know the intrinsic value of that.

The autograph cards have extra value to me because I do consider that signatures have separate value from just the production run of a card. However that is my opinion only.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

posted Hide Post
quote:

Who is this set aimed at?

That is a good question, and I've been thinking about it since I read it. . .

I don't have an answer.

Clearly this set doesn't work if it isn't for the 'whales' paying huge prices for really expensive cards.

But who is buying $3000 Chris Evans autographs? No one I know.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
A box on auction already at $400. It is being questioned on Blow Out that it is possibly a deceptive listing for an empty box. It is listed in the wrapper & empty box category. (I didn't even realize Ebay had one of those)

I am really glad I didn't buy any of this. Even if I were to pull an autograph I wanted there are designs I like and others I don't.

My want list on this is so small I think I am going to be able to find everything for about the price of a single box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yup, this one is going to be fun! Sold 3 empty boxes for $350 to a hyped market that didn't take time to read the description.

On the current auction the description has been changed a little bit more deceptive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18483...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, super deceptive. . . Not that this sort of BS was unheard of in entertainment cards, but when you have a bunch of new people enter the hobby you get a bunch of new BS.

I wish there was a way in eBay to block this guy from ever showing up in my searches.

It also sucks that eBay eliminated the ability to contact auction winners, you can't warn someone in a case like this.

I'm not sure why this guy allowed the auctions complete, I have no doubt that these auctions are going to be reversed, so why waste your time on it?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That link seems to a have a fairly well described "empty box". The same seller has a couple of other auctions running with shorter descriptions, all started at .99 cents.

I don't know what purpose this serves when all the buyers will file return requests as soon as they get an empty box for the SRP of a sealed box. Would eBay actually deny the claims and side with a seller, when it is so obvious that no one would knowingly spend $350 - $400 on an empty box from a just released product that actually cost that much WITH THE CARDS?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I don't know what purpose this serves when all the buyers will file return requests as soon as they get an empty box for the SRP of a sealed box. Would eBay actually deny the claims and side with a seller, when it is so obvious that no one would knowingly spend $350 - $400 on an empty box from a just released product that actually cost that much WITH THE CARDS?

My thought as well but I don't know how ebay responds to reasonable intent from the buyer vs ignored descriptions. The owner also states a no return policy so there is that. Like I said, should be fun! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
My thought as well but I don't know how ebay responds to reasonable intent from the buyer vs ignored descriptions. The owner also states a no return policy so there is that. Like I said, should be fun! Big Grin

The buyer will win.

eBay's app doesn't even show the description for most items. . . generally to see the description you have to click to open it. . .

I had a similar issue previously where a significant detail was kind of buried in the description, but not shown obviously in the pictures and easily won and was able to return the item. I bought it on the app and didn't even realize there was a description for the item since eBay kind of buries it on there.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of that controversy 10-15 years ago, where people were putting "X Boxes" on ebay without a picture, selling them for hundreds of dollars.

The Buyers received cardboard boxes with an X on them.

The Seller's position was that he never said it was a video game system--read the description.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those keeping score these sold out on ePack in 5 days at $400 a pack.

Certainly seems like this was a successful strategy for Upper Deck.

It will be interesting to see what this means for the future.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know if anyone, preferably dealers, bulk buyers, or big Marvel collectors, know how well Marvel Black Diamond really did? I believe it has come out on ePack, so there should be some idea if it was worth the cost.

Now I'm asking because what I see on eBay may be deceiving and like many high end card products, there was an awful lot of talk about it prior to release, but then it gets dropped like yesterday's news.

I don't know if its because the best cards are already claimed, but the majority of the listings I see on eBay are for lower to mid-range cards, with even some autographs and several types of hits, including relics and numbered parallel hits, being only mid-range.

To be sure there are higher priced autographs and a few of the gem cards and sketches that are being offered for nice money. There are also some cards in the sold listings that went for nice money, including signatures, gems and sketches. But many of the sold hits went much less than I would have expected and some current posts are really quite low for this type of product.

So it has sold out from UD, but what is the story now? Was Marvel Black Diamond successful for the people who bought it either as a dealer, a collector, a flipper, or the combinations of two or all three of those classes that some buyers fall into.

As primarily an autograph card collector with only limited hands on access to product news and often tons of conflicting card information on the internet, I get the feeling that while we always hear the hype, we almost never hear the truth about these products until its too late to be useful. But maybe that's just me. Big Grin So any insight would be welcome here.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
One of the best releases in a long time, sold out on e-pack quickly, yes the price was high but mostly you got your money’s worth. A great example of a high end product that delivered, and I am not a big fan of Upper Deck, but they did it right with this release.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Upper Deck won.....I know that much. Roll Eyes

I managed to get the three I wanted at medium range prices. Looks like I can get them even cheaper now.

Still keeping an eye on Mackie but have not jumped.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

I get the feeling that while we always hear the hype, we almost never hear the truth about these products

You can't handle the truth. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I get the feeling that while we always hear the hype, we almost never hear the truth about these products

You can't handle the truth. Eek

The truth keeps changing these days. Big Grin

It's why you can get more people to believe in conspiracy theories than an historical fact.
In fact, there is no history anymore because its all viewed in hindsight by modern standards. Say anything long enough and loud enough and it will spawn a movement. Truth is unnecessary. Razz