Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downton Abbey
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan13:
of all the bbc shows ever made why pick downton abbey. Why not sherlock or something else.
That probably has a lot to do with the fact that Downton Abbey isn't a BBC show Big Grin

That's right, it's ITV that makes Downton Abbey not the BBC.

quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
Far out, another show that I want to collect! For a couple of years there's been hardly anything, now I've got OUAT, Grimm and DA, im gonna be broke and drowning in cards.

I know the feeling, it just seems all to much. But my priorities will be Downton, GoT, Grimm, OUAT and goodness I still have to even start True Blood.
But I'm not too broken up about it, although my bank account will be Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Downton Abbey is kind of the flavor of the month for the sophisticated crowd. Wink

Not being one of those, I have never seen it, nor do I hear anyone talking about it in my circles. I never saw Upstairs Downstairs either, but I did enjoy the original Brideshead Revisited. That was a mini-series not a series, so it doesn't count, but I do have class occasionally. Big Grin

Anyway, I'm all for new blood in the hobby, but I don't think this is a great bet to bring it in simply because, while some card collectors may be fans, most fans of the show are not likely to be card collectors.

Someone mentioned that this would be as hot as Walking Dead. Huh? People who are interested in graphic novels and horror themes commonly have a link to cards. People who are interested in British drama generally do not.

Having said that I think this is an unlikely card title, if a Maggie Smith autograph is included you can put me down right down. Thumb Up If not, I don't know who these people are. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Anyway, I'm all for new blood in the hobby, but I don't think this is a great bet to bring it in simply because, while some card collectors may be fans, most fans of the show are not likely to be card collectors.

Someone mentioned that this would be as hot as Walking Dead. Huh? People who are interested in graphic novels and horror themes commonly have a link to cards. People who are interested in British drama generally do not.

Having said that I think this is an unlikely card title, if a Maggie Smith autograph is included you can put me down right down. Thumb Up If not, I don't know who these people are. Big Grin

I completely understand what you mean, it doesn't at all remotely seem like the sort of material for a card set and that most people who watch this show wouldn't be interested in collecting cards.
Like everyone is saying, it will be interesting to see how it goes once it's released. I hope it does do well though, and that other card companies take notice and think more unusual licenses might work for our hobbie.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I don't think comparing it to Walking Dead is the best comparison, I think Big Bang Theory is closer.

Nobody knew what to expect with BBT, it wasn't the usual sci-fi, fantasy, , superhero or action kind of license. It had been a long time since a sit-com had a card set, and never a set with autos and costumes and people weren't sure the fans of the show would embrace the cards, but embrace them they did and a lot of new blood entered the hobby.

DA may or may not be a hit, but it's nice to see another set being attempted that is outside the normal mind set that most companies have, and if does turn out to be a hit it can only help the hobby as a whole.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now there's one property I never thought would be cards. I'm very happy that they are having them though. I hope that they'll have autograph cards because I would love to collect some of the actors from the show (except for Maggie since I already have a Harry Potter one).

Posts: 53 | Location: Hacienda Heights, CA | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan13:
of all the bbc shows ever made why pick downton abbey. Why not sherlock or something else.
That probably has a lot to do with the fact that Downton Abbey isn't a BBC show Big Grin

That's right, it's ITV that makes Downton Abbey not the BBC.

quote:
Far out, another show that I want to collect! For a couple of years there's been hardly anything, now I've got OUAT, Grimm and DA, im gonna be broke and drowning in cards.

I know the feeling, it just seems all to much. But my priorities will be Downton, GoT, Grimm, OUAT and goodness I still have to even start True Blood.
But I'm not too broken up about it, although my bank account will be Big Grin

Oh God, I forgot about GoT, there's another one Smile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

if a Maggie Smith autograph is included you can put me down right down. Thumb Up If not, I don't know who these people are. Big Grin

I've never watched this but i think Shirley Maclaine is in it.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
I don't think comparing it to Walking Dead is the best comparison, I think Big Bang Theory is closer.

Nobody knew what to expect with BBT, it wasn't the usual sci-fi, fantasy, , superhero or action kind of license. It had been a long time since a sit-com had a card set, and never a set with autos and costumes and people weren't sure the fans of the show would embrace the cards, but embrace them they did and a lot of new blood entered the hobby.

DA may or may not be a hit, but it's nice to see another set being attempted that is outside the normal mind set that most companies have, and if does turn out to be a hit it can only help the hobby as a whole.

I couldn't disagree with you more about BBT. It is the perfect show for non-sport card collectors and some manufacturer should have jumped at the license way before Crypto had the idea.

These four guys are us, except that most of us are not geniuses of course. Wink They collect comics and super hero figures. They go to the hobby store every week and Comic Con. They have endless conversations about super hero powers and play board games and on-line games. I really can't think of a show that is more relateable to card and comic geeks, and I mean that in the best way. Smile

I was not at all surprised at the success of BBT cards. I can't say how much new blood it brought it, but I think it was just fine with the old blood. Big Grin

And I see no comparison at all between the fans of BBT and the fans of a show like Downton Abbey. You might referrence GOT, but that could be described as role playing fantasy. Or there was the Tudors, but that was more sexy Henry VIII than trying to sell history. I agree that its always good to try to expand the base, so I applaud the effort. If the cards are limited they will probably sell out, I don't know if that's the defination of success, it might be these days.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
while I do not watch this,
I am very happy a UK show is getting some loving

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
This is a Cryptozoic product right? They'll probably have the big name autos at 1 in 6 cases, so they'll end up being expensive and due to that it will sell well.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a Cryptozoic product right? They'll probably have the big name autos at 1 in 6 cases, so they'll end up being expensive and due to that it will sell well.

Wha? While their distribution of cards has been a little spotty on some releases, the very worst that they have been is 1-2 tough autos per case...certainly no worse than any other manufacturer.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
It will be very interesting to see who Cryptozoic can even get to sign, I think we will have a pretty good chance of Maggie Smith signing considering she signed for the Harry Potter sets, but everyone else it's hard to say, I kind of doubt they will be able to get Shirley MacLaine to sign though.

I'd love to see two different designs for the autos, one style for the Family and all their guests and then a completely different style for the people who work for them. If they can get Brendan Coyle to sign, I will snap that one up in an instant Big Grin

quote:
Downton Abbey is kind of the flavor of the month for the sophisticated crowd. Wink

I have to disagree strongly with you here, that may be how you see it is in the US but this show is huge here in Australia, it's just as popular as our reality shows, Australia Idol, The Voice and Master Chef. I wouldn't call 90% of Australians "Sophisticated" in the sense that you are suggesting, so to make that kind of generalisation isn't very accurate or fair.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
quote:

Wha? While their distribution of cards has been a little spotty on some releases, the very worst that they have been is 1-2 tough autos per case...certainly no worse than any other manufacturer.

Well maybe 1 in 6 cases is a bit of an exageration, but their high end auto's seem to sell for at least $200. The Laura Vandervoort auto for the Smallville set was certainly rarer than 1 or 2 cases and was selling for over $200. The Anna Torv and Joshua Jackson auto's as well as the big 3 in TBBT are also selling for big $. If they make the big names in DA in limited numbers, I can see them selling for pretty big money.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn't call 90% of Australians "Sophisticated"

Oh i've just got to agree with that. Big Grin Wavey

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

I have to disagree strongly with you here, that may be how you see it is in the US but this show is huge here in Australia, it's just as popular as our reality shows, Australia Idol, The Voice and Master Chef. I wouldn't call 90% of Australians "Sophisticated" in the sense that you are suggesting, so to make that kind of generalisation isn't very accurate or fair.

Sorry if my little joke about "the sophisticated crowd" offended you. I did give it the wink-wink eye and I'm not sure what sense you thought I was suggesting, but I think you read more into it than I wrote. I was kind of taking a poke at PBS viewers, which includes me at times. PBS is a TV station in NY, and other cities, that carries more foreign and cultural material than the regular networks, for those that don't see it.

Maybe it lost something in the reading, but I know I am definitely not guilty of disparaging Australians. Big Grin I never even mentioned them.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

No, it's closer to 85% Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

Sorry if my little joke about "the sophisticated crowd" offended you. I did give it the wink-wink eye and I'm not sure what sense you thought I was suggesting, but I think you read more into it than I wrote. I was kind of taking a poke at PBS viewers, which includes me at times. PBS is a TV station in NY, and other cities, that carries more foreign and cultural material than the regular networks, for those that don't see it.

Maybe it lost something in the reading, but I know I am definitely not guilty of disparaging Australians. Big Grin I never even mentioned them.

Sorry about that, my bad Twak Big Grin I think something really did get lost intranslation, when you said sophisticated I thought you were sort of implying high society/snobbish. But didn't realise what kind of station PBS was, and what demographic they are trying to attract in the US for the show. We don't really have the huge amount of channels here in Australia and I don't have pay tv.
Downton Abbey here in Australia is on one of our main three commercial TV networks right after one the endless array of reality shows, I think hoping to catch those who hadn't got up from the tv yet. Which seemed to work because I'm amazed at how well it is doing here.

Again sorry if I snapped, I like the show but I would never call myself very sophisticated, I love a good corset drama but love my sci-fi way to much Big Grin Twak

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

No, it's closer to 85% Wink

I think it depends on your meaning of Sophisticated, snobbish/rich or just not boganish. Wink I started with 99% but went back to 90% Big Grin Twak
Sidewinder is probably right, 85% sounds a bit nicer. Only thing is, I was walking down the main street in town the other day and these teenagers behind me where talking and every second word seemed to be a curse word. I think that's why I made it 90%. Roll Eyes

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Teenagers are all crazy these days :lol

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Teenagers are all crazy these days :lol

Truer words were never spoken Smile