Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Game of Thrones Season Eight

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/9407003296

January 07, 2020, 05:22 PM
Raven
Game of Thrones Season Eight
So RA has put up the bare bones set info for Game of Thrones Season Eight. No other name so far, although the added line says Seasons 1 - 7 and Expansions. That has the feel of throwing in everything held back from all years and all styles, but I wouldn't assume that this is the final - final set.

Two autographs in every box and one will be a guaranteed inscription. All other hits are the usual suspects with character sketches being front and center. I have bought a fair bit of boxes in every GoT release and NEVER hit a sketch until I pulled 2 out of Inflexions, both fire breathing dragons. Looks like the stingy seeding of sketches early on may have left a good supply for the wrap up sets.

Good news is that the SRP is under $100, perhaps a nod to the discounts of GoT Inflexions boxes that I understand happened in some places. Not anywhere near me of course. Big Grin

Release date is given as March 11, 2020. That's earlier than normal, but no new season to wait on now.
January 08, 2020, 03:22 AM
hammer
Chase sets are going to be tough - only quotable possible in a case!!!
January 08, 2020, 05:13 AM
ravenheart
Well, nothing interesting so far.

Hopefully there are some new signers amongst the remaining TBC standard autos. Marc Rissman is presumably one of them, given he's on a dual.
January 08, 2020, 08:20 AM
Hedgehog Witch
I heard from a dealer that there will be 10 new non inscription signers, but no idea who.

So, that might mean Marc Rissman has a card by himself too. Of course, the new signers might be "Wight at Winterfell", or "Burned Bloke at Kings Landing"....yeah I'm being cynical, but it comes with the territory in collecting these sets. Wink Big Grin

Goods points, the box price and standard expected sets.
Bad points, a potential for big 'fillers' with the usual lazy parallels and the 'variations'.

I'm going to pick and mix for this set. A couple of boxes, then hunt for favourite characters and/or designs. And sticking to a my budget.

Unless the license was just for the duration of the show up to S8, then I'm sure RA will have lined up their usual sets for Heroes and Villains, Women of, 10th Anniversary...the usual filler guff. Big Grin For those kind of sets, I would just go for the odd card. Of course they might opt for the premium style for any further sets...which, going by Inflexions, was more filler guff, anyway. Big Grin
January 08, 2020, 08:26 AM
Hedgehog Witch
I heard from a dealer that there will be 10 new non inscription signers, but no idea who.

So, that might mean Marc Rissman has a card by himself too. Of course, the new signers might be "Wight at Winterfell", or "Burned Bloke at Kings Landing"....yeah I'm being cynical, but it comes with the territory in collecting these sets. Wink Big Grin

Goods points, the box price and standard expected sets.
Bad points, a potential for big 'fillers' with the usual lazy parallels and the 'variations'.

I'm going to pick and mix for this set. A couple of boxes, then hunt for favourite characters and/or designs. And sticking to my budget.

Unless the license was just for the duration of the show up to S8, then I'm sure RA will have lined up their usual sets for Heroes and Villains, Women of, 10th Anniversary...the usual filler guff. Big Grin For those kind of sets, I would just go for the odd card. Of course they might opt for the premium style for any further sets...which, going by Inflexions, was more filler guff, anyway. Wink Big Grin
January 08, 2020, 09:30 AM
ravenheart
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
"Burned Bloke at Kings Landing"

He was my favourite.
January 08, 2020, 10:07 AM
Hedgehog Witch
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:

He was my favourite.

LOL Big Grin
January 09, 2020, 04:00 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:

He was my favourite.

I thought the bloke next to him was better Smile
January 09, 2020, 08:52 AM
ravenheart
I'd be hoping for a full bleed Richard Dormer in this set too, since he was missing on that design from the previous one.
January 10, 2020, 02:45 PM
ravenheart
Oh yeah, and a full bleed Tara Fitzgerald.
January 10, 2020, 06:20 PM
Hedgehog Witch
Having a quick look at the checklists from Inflexions it would seem that Tara hasn't had a Valyrian style card yet either. And Richard Dormer hasn't had a Blue style one. Am I missing a Bordered one he's done? I noted he had a Valyrian one and a Gold one so far.

I really think they should come up with yet another style...5 designs is nowhere near enough. *cough* Wink Big Grin Wink
January 11, 2020, 03:28 PM
ravenheart
quote:
Having a quick look at the checklists from Inflexions it would seem that Tara hasn't had a Valyrian style card yet either. And Richard Dormer hasn't had a Blue style one. Am I missing a Bordered one he's done? I noted he had a Valyrian one and a Gold one so far.

I really think they should come up with yet another style...5 designs is nowhere near enough. *cough* Wink Big Grin Wink

Shush. I was ignoring all their bad designs Wink
January 19, 2020, 06:36 PM
Raven
Just updating my GoT autograph checklist and noticed that two actors are running neck and neck for the most different cards signed over all releases, including ones that were incentives, with relics, or were in archive boxes. This is adding in the incomplete list from the upcoming Season 8.

The tie is between Maisie Williams and Peter Dinklage. They each have 14 different cards and several are on duals with others.

Dinklage doesn't appear yet on the new checklist, so if he has any autos in Season 8 he will probably go ahead. The next most prolific signer is Lena Headey with 11 cards and also not yet mentioned in Season 8.

There are quite a few signers with only 2 cards, but there are 16 that have only 1 card out so far. As several of those come from Season 6, I think at least some will be among the common signers to be announced for Season 8.

In order of the oldest single signers to the ones most likely to show up again in Season 8:
D. B Weiss - Season 2
David Benioff - Season 2
George R. R. Martin - Season 2
George Georgiov - Season 3
Mark Killen - Season 3
Fintam McKeown - Season 4
Alexandra Dowling - Season 4
Ross O'Hennessy - Season 5
Sam Coleman - Season 6
Rebecca Benson - Season 6
Hannah John-Kamen - Season 6
Gwyneth Keyworth - Season 6
Fergus Leathem - Season 6
Leo Woodruff - Season 6
Struan Rodger - Season 6
Richard Rycroft - InfleXions
January 19, 2020, 09:34 PM
ctacker
The Season 8 page was updated—Dinklage has a dual BOOKLET auto with Sophie Turner.
January 20, 2020, 12:39 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by ctacker:
The Season 8 page was updated—Dinklage has a dual BOOKLET auto with Sophie Turner.

That puts him over the top. That would be a great pull, but a straight dual would have been better. I care less for the booklet design because it's constructed and difficult to store.

Not properly finishing up the story of Sansa and Tyrion as a couple was one of the major opportunities lost in GoT for me. Of course they did worse with Jaime and Brienne and Jon and Daenerys. Come to think of it only Sam and Gilly ended up together.

I also see that RA has added a signed relic card for Sophie Turner and Lena Headey will have autographs too. It's shaping up to have a nice checklist of the main players, but I don't expect much from the new signers promised and probably no Kit, Emilia or Gwendoline unless they do cuts.
January 20, 2020, 12:15 PM
ravenheart
Lena Headey is mentioned on the season 8 page as having a single auto - surely this can only be repeat style? I'm sure she's done at least one of everything now.

Joe Dempsie also mentioned, but I think he's got at least two styles to go anyway.

The way this is shaping up so far, I'm only interested in the 10 new signers.
January 20, 2020, 01:18 PM
Raven
Yes, she has done all styles and so has Dinklage, which is why RA is going towards these inscriptions-on-demand and booklets. Williams has done all styles to except a signed relic, which is really a cut signature.

Once people get upwards of 6 cards, what else is there but to repeat styles? But these are the higher range and mid-range signers, so when they don't have something in a set, no matter how limited, we're screaming that they are missing. So RA is leaking out designs that probably were signed years ago and what else can they do now that the show is over? If they tried to come up with a brand new design, how many of these people could they find and who among them would care now that their job is done?

I'm curious about the new signers too and if we might not have some held back from Harington, Christie and Clarke. I think new signers will probably be for characters we barely remember. As for the bigger ones, Clarke and Christie have only 2 cards in 2 styles and Clarke also has a cut with a relic. Harington is better represented with 7 cards in 7 styles, all but a Valyerian.

If certain actors have stopped signing or always refused, what can you do but overuse the ones who will? It's a long running series with the same main cast, which is why I can't see RA putting out more than one more set, if they have that. At some point you are scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I myself really don't mind the dilution because I will eventually pick up more autograph cards at good prices, just not from box breaking.
January 20, 2020, 06:10 PM
Hedgehog Witch
A few actors that haven't signed, would get fans scrambling for boxes, but it seems unlikely they'll get them now. I'm talking about Liam Cunningham, Diana Rigg, Ian McShane. Smile
But, if there was any chance of those, they would have headlined the set's details page.

Yeah, I couldn't care less about the booklet format cards either. Anything you have to fold out or faff about with to view/store properly isn't a good card IMHO. Unless it was for one of the 'missing' signers, but then it would be disappointing that it wasn't an ordinary card for them.

I know it would all depend on the agreement between RA and HBO etc, but it would be nice if they ever did some proper prop relic cards like Breygent did for the Tudors. Sections of letters, wax seals, quill feathers, broken mirror, those were stunning and are still my favourite relic cards in my collection. And so nice that most had a picture of the scene and episode the item appeared in. But I suppose at this time, it's unlikely to happen, we must be happy with the swatches of GoT banners we had a few years ago. Smile
January 22, 2020, 01:37 PM
Raven
They have added a Sophie Turner autograph/relic card. That's likely a cut signature.

Up to 29 new cards with no hint of the new signers besides Marc Rissman. RA could be waiting on other returnees, but pretty sure anyone big sent back would be announced straight away. There is still some time.

McShane is a bit of a puzzle as a hold out since he has done cards before, but his "Seeker The Dark is Rising" is not too hard to find last I looked. Not a very attractive signature though.
January 22, 2020, 02:03 PM
Hedgehog Witch
I've seen a couple of those McShane autos and yeah, penmanship isn't his strong point. Wink Smile I think those cards were Inkworks, so it must have been a few years ago, now.

I suppose the new signers may not be only from new characters in season 8 but new signers from any part of the series. Less than a couple of months to go, not too long before we'll find out.