Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Doctor Strange
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Strange
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not Doctor Strange related, but having to do with Benedict, some of you may remember that at the Philly Show back in 2013 Rittenhouse showed an unsigned full-bleed Into Darkness autograph of his at their tables. I always thought that Rittenhouse got them signed and are holding them for the next movie set. But someone asked Steve about it on the Rittenhouse forum back in April of this year and here was his response:

"We've been trying to get the B. Cumberbatch card signed for what seems like an eternity. Still hopeful, but until the cards are signed, I take nothing for granted."

So I'm not holding out much hope that those will end up being signed. Shame if they don't because it's a sweet looking card and would go nicely with all the other full-bleeds from the rebooted films. Plus it would be another on-card as well. I agree with X, can't imagine his signature fitting on one of those stickers. There'll be a whole lot of "BC"s signed for Doctor Strange I'm guessing.

Here's a pic of the unsigned full-bleed from the show:

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Your link has now gone Logan but I do remember that card.

Makes you wonder just what transpired for those full-bleeds not to have been signed. An issue with the printers/getting both styles of card to Cumberbatch to sign or something random like that?

The obvious questions is why did RA not give him both styles to sign at the same time because it seems odd that he would agree to sign one style and not the other. Or maybe RA did get both to him and he only signed and returned the one style used for the case incentive. Who knows...
I imagine there is an interesting story behind this one.

Whatever happens at least he does have one official Trek card, and a fantastic looking one at that if you as me (I like the design better than the full-bleed). Shame it is so expensive, because I would LOVE one.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

So I'm not holding out much hope that those will end up being signed.

Benedict Cumberbatch is probably one of the busiest actors on the planet at the moment, IIRC the day after he finished filming Doctor Strange he started work on Sherlock series 4.

I do not recall that particular version of Zachary Quinto's Spock card appearing yet.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

So I'm not holding out much hope that those will end up being signed.

Benedict Cumberbatch is probably one of the busiest actors on the planet at the moment, IIRC the day after he finished filming Doctor Strange he started work on Sherlock series 4.

I do not recall that particular version of Zachary Quinto's Spock card appearing yet.

Great spot on the Quinto. I had thought the previewed card was the one released in the 2014 Movies set - obviously not and there will be a 3rd Quinto at some point!

I take your point about Cumberbatch but it takes seconds to bang out a signature. I reckon he could find 30 mins to sign a small stack then hand them to a PA to get to the post office. He just needs to get his priorities sorted!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Great spot on the Quinto. I had thought the previewed card was the one released in the 2014 Movies set - obviously not and there will be a 3rd Quinto at some point!!

Geez I thought that was the one from the 2014 set also. Great catch WOMBLE.Thumb Up

Whenever I hear about a company waiting on an actor to sign cards after such a long time I immediately think that the blanks are probably long gone by now -- lost or tossed. I remember thinking that with the Artbox Harry Potter OOTP Update Brendan Gleeson situation. He and his people probably had no clue (and couldn't care less about) what became of those cards long before collectors gave up hope of them being returned. That's the cynic and the pessimist in me. Wink

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whenever I hear about a company waiting on an actor to sign cards after such a long time I immediately think that the blanks are probably long gone by now -- lost or tossed. I remember thinking that with the Artbox Harry Potter OOTP Update Brendan Gleeson situation. He and his people probably had no clue (and couldn't care less about) what became of those cards long before collectors gave up hope of them being returned. That's the cynic and the pessimist in me. Wink

I wish we could see all the blank auto cards that actually got printed up over the years in the hope they would get signed, but never were.

At least some samples exist, like Halle Berry/X-Men or even a couple of rare signed examples like Estella Warren/Planet of the Apes and Ian McKellen/Two Towers. I'm sure there are more I am forgetting.

One of my favourite cards I own is the unsigned James Gandolfini autograph card from The Sopraonos.
People slammed that set for a weak auto line up but when Inkworks went bust, and their warehouse inventory got dumped, it was amazing to see what they had planned for that set with near enough every major cast member involved (from what I remember blanks for 12 actors were found). Had all those actors been on board, what a set that would have been for the fans of the show.
I would have LOVED to have signed cards from Gandolfini, Edie Falco and Lorraine Bracco, and even in unsigned form, they are cherished items for this Sopranos fan because it is nice to think what could have been.

Maybe RA have already printed up Connery's cards. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Full checklist is up on cardboard connection:

http://www.cardboardconnection...ctor-strange-trading

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If there are only 7 packs per each $ 125 box, I don't know how someone can realistically obtain a 50 card base set, the chase, and the autos, without spending at least $ 4,000 to $ 5,000.

Posts: 3998 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Even the 7 autos are 1 per every 2 boxes

Behind the Lens 20 card chase set, only 49 of each card made. Frown

Posts: 3998 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
And there's only one card per pack Eek

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The link says 7 cards per pack, 1 pack per box

Is that wrong ?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
It says "seven one-card packs per box".
7 packs with 1 card in each.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Don't assume what this product is going to look like.

Yes, I think its only 7 cards per box, 1 card per pack, with 3 premium hits in every 7 packs. All cards, including the limited base cards, are really premium hits in that format.

However that is the straight physical product, but I keep reading on another site that physical cards will also be available via e-Packs. I am thinking it may be along the lines of what happened with Alien Anthology.

I wish someone would confirm that one way or the other since it makes a big difference in the supply.

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
There WILL NOT BE any MOVIE SKETCHES!

No Movie Likenesses are Allowed By Upper Deck.

EXCUSE ME, BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH is on the Back of the SKETCH Cards.

I have Personally Confirmed this! with several Sources.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well there are some sketch cards according to the release info, it just doesn't say sketches of what. Wink Big Grin

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I don't think it's UD that won't allow likenesses. The studio, or whoever has the authority over the license, probably won't allow UD to commission likenesses. If they could, they would, don't you think?

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
the sketches have to stay in tune with the Comic Books & can't use character likenesses....

I've heard this from Multiple sources now.....

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of the autographs have turned up you know where and holy cow are they ugly. Between these and the latest Firely ones, I'd like to know who at Upper Deck thinks these type of designs are attractive and appealing because they're a total turn-off to me. Confused

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They just released now, so I have only glimpsed one autograph card, the Swinton. It looks like it is formatted to appear as a doctor's pass/tag. If that is the design for all, well I guess they thought it appropriate for the title. It does not really match the characters though and is pretty white. It has odd checklist boxes for no reason and it actually says signature and a line for the sticker. Big Grin

It could be worse overall, but UD seems to not care about matching up characters to the card. Why would a non-doctor character have a faux pass? Why was Ripley and others identified as Colonial Marines on Alien Anthology dog tag cards when they were not and would not have worn dog tags? Minor points to some, but maybe not to obsessive card collectors like a few of us. Wink

On further examination the autograph cards are PERSCRIPTION PADS, me thinks. Hate to tell UD but its all electronic now, my doctors can't even write scripts anymore. Big Grin

Anyway, on a final note. I kept asking about these reports of Dr. Strange UD cards coming out as e-Packs. Nobody had a response here. I see now on Cardboard Connection an index tab for e-Pack checklist. It seems to be empty so far, but its there. There was a fairly long delay before Alien Anthology signatures started showing up in good numbers and even on exclusive cards not packed in the hobby boxes. Much of the supply came out with the Alien e-Packs. Just FYI. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
ePacks checklist is now filled in, for what it's worth.

Agree the auto cards seem to be prescription pads, stickered. They look stupid.

Also think the made-up patch cards, "booklet" cards, and coin cards, all look silly as well.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
UK cards, a bit late but most welcome. 8 card packs £1 each.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WOMBLE,

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post