Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New 2019 Dawn of the Dead Card Set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 2019 Dawn of the Dead Card Set
 Login/Join

posted
I've gotten word that Fantasm Media is currently at work on a new George A. Romero Dawn of the Dead trading card set.

Apparently it's hush-hush so I don't have many details yet. I know that it's due out this year and Fantasm has access to many never-before-seen photos from the film taken by one of the zombie extras. They're talking about making the set very "retro" with paper wrappers and matte finish cardstock.

Fantasm Media is pretty new on the trading card scene but they recently released a beautiful set of 50th anniversary Night of the Living Dead cards that I really like. I'm expecting this new Dawn set to be a huge collectible among Romero and horror fans!

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I'm in! Just wish they would have done this years ago. Some company called Fright Rags recently released a very limited licensed set. Claims are 325 boxes at $120 per box. No autographs.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Fright Rags makes nice cards they have done several sets some with autos and all with sketch cards.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Actually, the Dawn of the Dead card set from Fright-Rags is a very nice, retro set. For the $120 my box had 2 full sets of the base cards, the short prints, and the 9 sticker set (and a handful of the foil parallel cards). I felt it was a good value for a card set that I've wanted for years. Ben has put out some nice card sets. Besides Dawn, they've released Re-Animator, House of a 1,000 Corpses, Child's Play, and The Evil Dead just released last week. They also produced 11 (maybe 12?) different series of horror movie "Fright Facts" cards that they include free with purchases from their web site (I guess you can call them promotional cards). They also include slightly oversized stickers as well. They're INCREDIBLY hard to track down, but they're really cool cards featuring some movies that have never had cards done before.

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Often been excited about some of the titles they've done sets for (especially House of 1,000 Corpses and this one), but without autographs, I'm just not interested. Such a shame.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Often been excited about some of the titles they've done sets for (especially House of 1,000 Corpses and this one), but without autographs, I'm just not interested. Such a shame.

Bummer you won't give the sets a chance just because they don't have autos. They're beautifully done by people that truly care about the material.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Bummer you won't give the sets a chance just because they don't have autos. They're beautifully done by people that truly care about the material.

What chance would I be giving them? I mean, I don't go to a paint manufacturer, find they don't do the colour I want, but buy paint from them anyway to give them a chance...

Fantasm don't owe me autographs. I get that. But I don't owe them a purchase either if the product isn't what I want. No collector does. For people who do want what they've made, I have no doubt the quality is excellent. I can think of a company or two who could probably learn a lesson from them about the care it sounds like they've put into the sets.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yup! Just the nature of the hobby in the year 2019.

It splintered off in several directions years ago and collectors decided what direction they wanted to follow.

For the most part I don't want more base sets filling up space in my house, but I am thinking about making an exception for this one. It does look nice.

Hopefully Fantasm will pursue signatures for their release. A nice signature set from this title is long overdue.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

What chance would I be giving them? I mean, I don't go to a paint manufacturer, find they don't do the colour I want, but buy paint from them anyway to give them a chance...

Fantasm don't owe me autographs. I get that. But I don't owe them a purchase either if the product isn't what I want. No collector does. For people who do want what they've made, I have no doubt the quality is excellent. I can think of a company or two who could probably learn a lesson from them about the care it sounds like they've put into the sets.

I probably misread what you posted. So if they had included autographs you would buy into it? Would you just be buying autos on the secondary market, or hunting for them via packs? If the latter, what would you do with any base or inserts you end up with? Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious.

I get that everybody collects what they collect. I think what got me going was the "Such a shame" comment, which makes it sound like this set is a letdown.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of cost. I thought Dawn of the Dead was a great movie, original not the remake. I can't see where any price is mentioned yet. If it's just the cards without an autograph or sketch or relic, the product has a limited value. Without a premium hit a big portion of the demand automatically drops, that is merely the truth.

I would certainly be interested in this DotD set, but if there is no premium hit I would only pay so much. Above that I would wait to find a complete set somewhere, sometime. Paying $120 a box without any autographs as an example, just wouldn't be something I would do regardless of the title or the print run.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, the beauty of the Fright Rags hobby boxes (Dawn of the Dead & Evil Dead anyway), is that you can get most if not all of the money back (especially if you use the coupons Fright-Rags routinely offers) by selling the mini-master sets from each box. For your trouble, you get to keep the sketch card, the printing plate, and 12 parallel foils.

Considering I've never paid close to $120 (they've all been 20% or 30% off) for any of the dozen or so Fright Rags boxes I've bought and have sold pretty much all of my extra mini-master sets no problem (I'm keeping one of each), I basically ended up with 7 or 8 DoD sketches, two Evil Dead sketches (plus 9 or 10 printing plates from between those two series), a partial-to-near set of DoD foil parallels (once completed, that would be quite a valuable set) and 24 Evil Dead parallels, for maybe $100 or so.

Even adding in their first set I bought (Re-Animator), I'm probably another $100 in on that one, but I have two more nice sketches from that series and two of the lovely Barbara Crampton autographs (there are no plates or foil parallels for that set).

Beyond that, those bonus packs with the slightly oversized stickers and Fright Film Facts cards (mentioned by aeolus14ummbra in a post above) are almost as fun to open as the actual packs. I've got some of my favorite subjects on those including Elvira, E.T., and, most recently a Creepshow card and sticker. I'm hoping they do a full set for that one. I already have Stephen King and George Romero autographs cards.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I tried collecting the NotLD cards with the magazines from Fantasm but, got three of the same card!?!
Never heard anything more about the RANDOM autograph cards supposedly offered???
Contacted Fantasm multiple times but, NEVER heard back!?!
As a customer this was a HUGE turn-off and I will have to be MORE than convinced I should spend any more of my hard earned cash with Fantasm!!!
I did buy a box of the Fright Rags DotD cards - they were OK.
Got two full base sets!
I do NOT care about sketch cards - most are too cartoonish for my taste.
I WOULD prefer an autograph or actual piece of memorabilia/relic instead!
The FREE promo cards/stickers that Fright Rags gives with purchase are FANTASTIC - anyone have a checklist for these?

Posts: 6 | Location: Flint, MI | Registered: September 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I asked them about a checklist and they said they'd see about putting one together, but I don't think it ever happened.

Here's some highlights for my own small collection, cards and stickers:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post