Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Unstoppable Releases
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unstoppable Releases
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
When is a sellout not a sellout? It's not rocket science.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:

Maybe not, but since I don't understand the comment, I don't know the answer. If you mean Space 1999 is not really sold out, it still seems to say that on the website.

Of course the majority of card maker sellouts are only going to certain places, so of course the stuff is always available on the retail end for at least a little while after release and sometimes for a long while. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Maybe not, but since I don't understand the comment, I don't know the answer. If you mean Space 1999 is not really sold out, it still seems to say that on the website.

Of course the majority of card maker sellouts are only going to certain places, so of course the stuff is always available on the retail end for at least a little while after release and sometimes for a long while. Wink

Unstoppable just posted today that, because people were upset that Space 1999 sold out so quickly, they've made more boxes available (only 20, I think).

What Spencer's getting at is, this is classic Unstoppable. They are ALWAYS holding product back and telling everyone it's sold out. Then miraculously, later down the line, some super rare autograph appears again that it turns out they've been holding onto some copies of, or whatever. Not like the Rittenhouse version of holding things back, which is saving a card that hasn't been released at all, for a future set. They release things, and then "discover" more of it later.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't see that, but it's kind of dumb for Unstoppable to think that 20 more boxes is going to do anything to satisfy upset people. Big Grin Why bother at all?

As for RA, I wouldn't give them a pass either. Just look at what they did with GoT Inflexions. They advertise only 400 cases, but fail to mention the International Edition of equal quantity until shortly before release. So now its double the production.

Funny that there has been no mention of a Star Trek Inflexions International Edition YET. And before anyone goes crazy, I am joking. However RA did it once, so you can't say it's the last we will ever hear of "international" cards either. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think Rittenhouse did an international ( or maybe just uk ) version of a James Bond set. It had diffrent chase cards and a diffrent case topper.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You are correct wolfie. That was the set that no one remembered, which RA sighted as historical precedent for issuing a GoT Inflexions International Edition, when the complaints started.

Bottom line, card makers do what makes them the most money and that isn't wrong, but they shouldn't make promises and look for excuses when they break them. That goes for all of them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is Space 1999 still be released around Oct 31 ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Space 1999 is still 2-3 weeks away from release, from what I have been told.

So mid-November ?

Also, the special metal dealer promos will be limited to less than 20 per dealer. Each of the select dealers will have his own unique card

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Post on Facebook today (Oct 30) that release of Space 1999 has been delayed, but should ship no later than 14 days from now

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Supposedly Space 1999 ships Nov 11

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the cards have dropped on EBay. *Yawn*
Barrie offering special platinum boxes with actually less than the normal boxes on Sunday. Only 10, not the 20 mentioned before. No word on price.
Curiously one of these special platinum boxes is already on EBay from one of the dealers.
Unstoppable just isn't for collectors anymore, purely aimed at dealers now. IMHO Good luck to them, think they are gonna take a kicking on this one. You never know though.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barrie offering special platinum boxes with actually less than the normal boxes on Sunday. Only 10, not the 20 mentioned before. No word on price.
Curiously one of these special platinum boxes is already on EBay from one of the dealers.
Unstoppable just isn't for collectors anymore, purely aimed at dealers now. IMHO Good luck to them, think they are gonna take a kicking on this one. You never know though.

I'm kicking myself for not buying more!!! I was sceptical about the new format but out of 30 boxes purchased I have 2 left and broke 2. I think most dealers have had a great start with sales. Considering the retail price might be around £300, an average cut is selling for £150-£200, Bain for £70-£90 and sketches around £50-100, you've still got 15 other autos in the box so it is good value for money

But you're right, dealer sales account for 95% of Unstoppable's business so its not for the collectors as they all buy straight from the dealers which is the way it should be. I'm often asked to make master sets, help fill in the gaps, and generally help collectors. I personally think all collectors should buy from card dealers, all the dealers I've met at shows are great guys and will give you a great and personal service

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Wright:

I personally think all collectors should buy from card dealers, all the dealers I've met at shows are great guys and will give you a great and personal service

Ah the good old days when all the card dealers and card collectors got together at shows. Now ( in most cases ) it's just dog eat dog on ebay. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm kicking myself for not buying more!!! I was sceptical about the new format but out of 30 boxes purchased I have 2 left and broke 2. I think most dealers have had a great start with sales. Considering the retail price might be around £300, an average cut is selling for £150-£200, Bain for £70-£90 and sketches around £50-100, you've still got 15 other autos in the box so it is good value for money

But you're right, dealer sales account for 95% of Unstoppable's business so its not for the collectors as they all buy straight from the dealers which is the way it should be. I'm often asked to make master sets, help fill in the gaps, and generally help collectors. I personally think all collectors should buy from card dealers, all the dealers I've met at shows are great guys and will give you a great and personal service

Of course you would say that. You're a dealer. Oh and like Barrie you really are exaggerating those figures you're quoting. Those at be *your* prices, or the prices being asked. Doesn't mean they are selling at that price. Indeed a look o EBay tell me they're not and are selling at much cheaper prices.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I personally think all collectors should buy from card dealers, all the dealers I've met at shows are great guys and will give you a great and personal service

Ah the good old days when all the card dealers and card collectors got together at shows. Now ( in most cases ) it's just dog eat dog on ebay. Frown

It used to be this little hobby was fun and affordable. Now not so much, to be frank. There used to be the anticipation and possible thrill of finding a rarer card, but now they all go straight to the bulk dealer buyer. I did that once on an Unstoppable set and I'm still waiting on incentive stuff that was promised. Ended up worse off and our of pocket. So even with bulk buying it seems that there are favoured buyers. It isn't chance, Barrie knows exactly what is in at he is issuing out. He let that slip in a communication to me once. So if you end up with a **** breakdown, that's what he has decided you deserve.
I'm done.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

It used to be this little hobby was fun and affordable. Now not so much, to be frank. There used to be the anticipation and possible thrill of finding a rarer card, but now they all go straight to the bulk dealer buyer. I did that once on an Unstoppable set and I'm still waiting on incentive stuff that was promised. Ended up worse off and our of pocket. So even with bulk buying it seems that there are favoured buyers. It isn't chance, Barrie knows exactly what is in at he is issuing out. He let that slip in a communication to me once. So if you end up with a poor breakdown, that's what he has decided you deserve.
I'm done.

posted Hide Post
Here's my autograph display homage to Space 1999 that I finished today. The bottom row features custom made cut signature cards of my favorite guest actors from the show. The available cut signature cards were the wrong orientation and I was looking for a more consistent look. Also, since I had all these signatures in my collection, it was more cost effective to make my own cuts.

EDIT: The Barry Morse Twilight Zone card was bothering me so I did a little customization and dropped in a Professor Bergman image above the signature. New pic uploaded accordingly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: space phantom,

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Where in the wide wide world of sports are all these unreleased never in the boxes autographs coming from? Shake Head

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice display. You do good work.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Have to admit 1999 wasn't one of my favorite scifi shows of the time but I did contemplate picking up some of this.

In mentioning RA international boxes, I was researching the Xena Art set last week and it seemed more that the UK versions were pulled from the initial box number quote. I know with Inflexions it was quoted more specifically but how do we really know for sure as it pertains to other releases? I don't hear of it much anymore. For some of the more recent releases what are UK and Europe collectors seeing on the shelves?

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post