Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Marvel Premier
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Marvel Premier
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine Perna:
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
This is the way I look at it.

I'm only interested in one inexpensive sketch card from every series that I collect. Other than that, I collect for the art.

So typically I can get a sketch card from Artist X for a third of what I'd pay for an AP, and about half what I'd find on Ebay. And usually I can get an 8X10 or larger for $10-20 more.

And this is how I broke down an average pack by what I last heard from UD.

2 base cards
1 sketch card
1 of 3 premium chase cards
1, 2, or 3 hinged, double sided sketch

That tells me, on average, you'd get the equivalent of 6 sketch cards worth of sketching.

Based on that, I came up with what I would be willing to pay for this pack.

$5 for two base
$20+ for a sketch
$20 for a chase
$120 for a 3 hinge

$165+ and I'm cheap. I see most sketches going in the $40+ region, so I don't think $200 is far fetch.

I'm not going to buy a creased piece of artwork. So buying a pack is way too much of a gamble that I'll pull a top named artist and/or a quality sketch that justifies this price tag. A hinged sketch might surprise me, but again, it's not worth the risk.

This is like two days worth of over-time above and beyond the OT I already work for cards and busts/statues. I can't keep up as it is.

I think I'll go to a convention soon and get a "jam" piece for about $100 and two or three 8X10 for another $100 and get what I want and be way ahead of the game.

I think this one I got my wife was either $70 or $140.

Artists Proofs usually cost more than a "regular" sketch that you can get from an artist because artists usually charge more for them to try to break even for their time & low pay they get for doing sketch cards for these companies. So, if you are just trying to get art and don't care if the back of the art stock is from an actual company, then just go ahead and commission from the artist directly. Some people don't mind paying for Artist Proofs (but not everyone). Different tastes for different people.

Hopefully the prices of the Marvel Premium packs will go down in the aftermarket. You can always wait until someone busts opens the packs and sell the regular sized sketch cards in the aftermarket as well. I'm sure you will be able to get a nice sketch card that you like for a fraction of the cost of the packs.

My only concern is being a completist of a certain character. Everyone knows that I love the character Rogue and I try to collect every printed trading card with her on it. Making base sets & chase sets (E-Motion cards) this rare will be very costly for me. Making being a completist that much harder (and way more expensive than I can afford). I thought it was bad trying to get one of the Marvel Beginnings 2 Rogue hologram cards (that are selling for around $80.00). It looks like my collection will have some gaps after all.

Elaine, we've known each other for years. You think I don't know all that? It's unfortunate that artists HAVE to charge more to be compensated for their work and time in the way that they are. But that's just the direction that the collectors and manufacturers have guided the market.

And you know I'm in the same boat as you with X-23 cards. And I'd love to have a base set, and one of the chase sets. Looks like it's not going to happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Seem like there's enough collectors here that don't share my views on sketch cards and will help me out.

BTW, I have some cards for you. Need to talk soon.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm only interested in one inexpensive sketch card from every series that I collect. Other than that, I collect for the art.

So typically I can get a sketch card from Artist X for a third of what I'd pay for an AP, and about half what I'd find on Ebay. And usually I can get an 8X10 or larger for $10-20 more.

2 base cards
1 sketch card

That tells me, on average, you'd get the equivalent of 6 sketch cards worth of sketching.

$5 for two base
$20+ for a sketch
$20 for a chase
$120 for a 3 hinge

$165+ and I'm cheap. I see most sketches going in the $40+ region, so I don't think $200 is far fetch.

I'm not going to buy a creased piece of artwork. So buying a pack is way too much of a gamble that I'll pull a top named artist and/or a quality sketch that justifies this price tag. A hinged sketch might surprise me, but again, it's not worth the risk.

This is like two days worth of over-time above and beyond the OT I already work for cards and busts/statues. I can't keep up as it is.

I think I'll go to a convention soon and get a "jam" piece for about $100 and two or three 8X10 for another $100 and get what I want and be way ahead of the game.

Artists Proofs usually cost more than a "regular" sketch that you can get from an artist because artists usually charge more for them to try to break even for their time & low pay they get for doing sketch cards for these companies. So, if you are just trying to get art and don't care if the back of the art stock is from an actual company, then just go ahead and commission from the artist directly. Some people don't mind paying for Artist Proofs (but not everyone). Different tastes for different people.

Hopefully the prices of the Marvel Premium packs will go down in the aftermarket. You can always wait until someone busts opens the packs and sell the regular sized sketch cards in the aftermarket as well. I'm sure you will be able to get a nice sketch card that you like for a fraction of the cost of the packs.

My only concern is being a completist of a certain character. Everyone knows that I love the character Rogue and I try to collect every printed trading card with her on it. Making base sets & chase sets (E-Motion cards) this rare will be very costly for me. Making being a completist that much harder (and way more expensive than I can afford). I thought it was bad trying to get one of the Marvel Beginnings 2 Rogue hologram cards (that are selling for around $80.00). It looks like my collection will have some gaps after all.

Elaine, we've known each other for years. You think I don't know all that? It's unfortunate that artists HAVE to charge more to be compensated for their work and time in the way that they are. But that's just the direction that the collectors and manufacturers have guided the market.

And you know I'm in the same boat as you with X-23 cards. And I'd love to have a base set, and one of the chase sets. Looks like it's not going to happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Seem like there's enough collectors here that don't share my views on sketch cards and will help me out.

I think it's a good thing that artists charge more for their artist proofs than a regular commission. Artists should make something off their hard work and time. They should make a small profit after seeing collectors and card dealers selling some sketches for hundreds of dollars in the after market. There is nothing wrong with them getting a small piece of the pie too. Smile

We will be in the same boat with not being able to complete our collections (anytime soon or cheaply). Hopefully we will find some of the cards we want at a later time or try to trade for some of them with other collectors or card dealers.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

2 base cards
1 sketch card

$5 for two base
$20+ for a sketch
$20 for a chase
$120 for a 3 hinge

I think it's a good thing that artists charge more for their artist proofs than a regular commission. Artists should make something off their hard work and time. They should make a small profit after seeing collectors and card dealers selling some sketches for hundreds of dollars in the after market. There is nothing wrong with them getting a small piece of the pie too. Smile

We will be in the same boat with not being able to complete our collections (anytime soon or cheaply). Hopefully we will find some of the cards we want at a later time or try to trade for some of them with other collectors or card dealers.

That's what I've been saying for years. And I really don't care if it pisses dealers and collectors off, but I think official sketch cards have an over inflated price just for being part of a set. But that's just my opinion. I buy for the art first. So I get a cheap card to meet my need/want for one from the set. Then I buy art of all sizes for the ART.

I'm not going to mention any names but here's a scenario.

A SKETCH ARTIST charging for a card for close to $1000, and without looking up the info, I believe it's a PSC and not an AP. Don't get me wrong, the art is fantastic, but the SKETCH ARTIST hasn't been around for very long.

For that same price I can get a full sketch with two characters from a well known ARTIST.

Full color work of equal quality. Good for them! But I'm going to go for the larger work from a well known artist.

Why can they do that? Because of the sketch card collector community. Same thing in the bust and statue collecting community.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never said I have no interest. I think I've offended you, and now you're focusing on what's negative to your views. I said I collect at least one for every series that I'm interested in. You must not have seen my thread of my "official sketch cards." You totally missed alot of my points, so it's pointless for me to continue in this thread.

I don't doubt you care about the hobby but without meaning to sound sarcastic you've gone from saying official expensive cards are crazy to you are interested, which as I said strikes me as contradictory when you consider those official cards have been (for better or worse) at the heart of this hobby for the last 10+ years as far as DC and Marvel goes. That isn't to say that the rest of the set is unimportant but simply that it wasn't driving those past sales and as collectors we might not care about the business side but it does determine if we see those sets get made.

I might have missed some of your points but you seem to be missing or ignoring the one I'm trying to get across to you, you appear to have made your mind up that going the PSC route is always superior which is fine but is going to leave you having a hard time trying to relate to any such products regardless of their own merits. If you'd been put in charge of this set and you could do whatever you wanted to those official sketches, what would you have done to change your opinion about them?

quote:
What I'm growing weary of is you making statements to me saying "YOU" must and such.

Well you did decide to post several of your PSCs and your own take on collecting, might I suggest you not make it so personal if you don't want its relevance to the subject to be brought up? Just to be clear as you seem to be getting irritated by this conversation, I have no problem how you collect I'm simply wondering about the relevance of it especially when the subject matter is for a premium set.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
Looks like this place is hopping, while Scoundrel is sleeping. Thumb Up

This set is getting some attention, so I guess that's a good thing. Hopefully there will be some quality sketches, but if it's the same old RA/UD people then only a few will command top $ and others will be the same prices as usual. Even if Nar, Jusko, Perna and Acar do 50 each. That's just a drop in the bucket to me. I'm not dropping $155-$180 per pack for those odds. If they tank on Ebay to $75-$100 then I'd take a chance, but I cancelled the 10 packs I pre-ordered. Should be fun to watch.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:

This set is getting some attention, so I guess that's a good thing. Hopefully there will be some quality sketches, but if it's the same old RA/UD people then only a few will command top $ and others will be the same prices as usual. Even if Nar, Jusko, Perna and Acar do 50 each. That's just a drop in the bucket to me. I'm not dropping $155-$180 per pack for those odds. If they tank on Ebay to $75-$100 then I'd take a chance, but I cancelled the 10 packs I pre-ordered. Should be fun to watch.

Are you still collecting statue?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should be fun to watch.

I don't think we'll be seeing much.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, that is the theory, but it does not mean that the results will bear that out.

Of course, but it doesn't mean that this won't hold true either.

quote:

Not comparable as the only RC's that would get you close to that kind of multiplier are UD Exquisite which has a long heritage of being THE high end product. Other expensive packs (National Treasures) simply fail to bring in large premiums.

So how is that not comparable? It's got to start somewhere. Maybe Marvel Premier is the equivalent of Exquisite. 10 years ago, a lot of sports card customers were saying the exact same thing that a lot of people have been saying about Premier. They said nobody would pay $350 for 5-7 cards in a box. They said that the return would be impossible. They literally said the same things as I'm seeing in this thread. I think it's safe to say that they were proven wrong. There was a market for high-end cards afterall. I'm not saying Marvel Preimer is a guaranteed smash hit, and I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I just feel people need to be more optimistic, and not hate a new product because the price tag is scary or because it's out of their budget. Also, UD Exquisite is a much much nicer product than National Treasures. Photography, design, layout, card stock, list of signers, etc.. are all way nicer. Panini is awful. National Treasures cards hardly stand out against any of their other releases. Time will tell if Marvel Premier is Exquisite or a wannabe like National Treasures.

quote:

There will certainly be a higher return on the contents but not necessarily enough to cover the cost.

This applies to every product.

quote:

Do you really think that someone will pay more for the same quality of art just because the pack/box costs more? How did that work out for the folks who invested heavily in Sketchlords? Again, that is not comparable as this is Marvel that we are talking about and not original charachters.

Absolutely. I'd say that the majority of the naysayers here wouldn't as most have already expressly stated, but there are people that will. They don't call it a high-end product for fun. If people are willing to pay $200 for a pack of cards, then they certainly will pay more for a sketch from a premium product. Let's try another scenario: Katie Cook sketches. Are you saying that you would price a Katie Cook Marvel Premier sketch the same price as any of her other sketches? I think you'd be selling yourself short. I think that it would be much more valuable than her standard Rittenhouse/Topps sketch card. But again, I'm just speculating. In theory, it should sell for a lot more. The only real measure is from compiling sales data from auctions or other notable transactions.

quote:

Additionally, who is to say that people are going to like these multi-panel pieces with art on the back? How are they going to store/show off these?

Likewise, who is to say that people are going to hate the multi-panel pieces with art on the back? They might be the best idea in years. Also, they make toploaders in various sizes. You can stick just about anything flat into a toploader. You could also frame it with UV protected plastic/glass if you wanted to too. Who are we kidding though? If it's a really gorgeous/expensive piece of art, you're not going to leave it out on display to be exposed to light anyway. It's going to be buried in a box, binder, or cabinet. Anyway, I think this would be a silly reason not to want to own a nice piece of anything.

A lot of (negative) assumptions are being made about this product before anybody's seen anything, and I'm just trying to put some light on another perspective.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
Absolutely. I'd say that the majority of the naysayers here wouldn't as most have already expressly stated, but there are people that will. They don't call it a high-end product for fun. If people are willing to pay $200 for a pack of cards, then they certainly will pay more for a sketch from a premium product. Let's try another scenario: Katie Cook sketches. Are you saying that you would price a Katie Cook Marvel Premier sketch the same price as any of her other sketches? I think you'd be selling yourself short. I think that it would be much more valuable than her standard Rittenhouse/Topps sketch card. But again, I'm just speculating. In theory, it should sell for a lot more. The only real measure is from compiling sales data from auctions or other notable transactions.

Taking Katie Cook as an example is an interesting one, her work from the earlier Marvel/DC sets commands a much higher price than the newer ones because they're so much better drawn. If she's drawing like she has on recent Marvel sets they're probably going to be worth less than those older sets.

Your point could still be correct and they command higher prices than the recent stuff but even if that happens it highlights the unique nature of sketch cards, unlike the rest of the hobby sketch cards often break the rarity to price ratio (there's probably a better term for it).

quote:

Likewise, who is to say that people are going to hate the multi-panel pieces with art on the back? They might be the best idea in years. Also, they make toploaders in various sizes. You can stick just about anything flat into a toploader. You could also frame it with UV protected plastic/glass if you wanted to too. Who are we kidding though? If it's a really gorgeous/expensive piece of art, you're not going to leave it out on display to be exposed to light anyway. It's going to be buried in a box, binder, or cabinet. Anyway, I think this would be a silly reason not to want to own a nice piece of anything.

I agree but some collectors do have a problem with pieces they can't fit alongside the rest of their collection, the same as some collectors won't touch horizontal cards.

quote:

A lot of (negative) assumptions are being made about this product before anybody's seen anything, and I'm just trying to put some light on another perspective.

Well it's going to be an interesting set no matter what but I think part of the problem is Upperdeck doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt based on past experience and if they wanted to stop us imagining the worst they need to do a better job of informing us about their products.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I don't think we'll be seeing much.

I hope not, it'd be a real pity if all the nice sketches never get to surface like KSW.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh well, at least you still have your career in politics. Elephant Elephant Elephant

Posts: 39 | Location: Miami | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

2 base cards
1 sketch card

$5 for two base
$20+ for a sketch
$20 for a chase
$120 for a 3 hinge

That's what I've been saying for years. And I really don't care if it pisses dealers and collectors off, but I think official sketch cards have an over inflated price just for being part of a set. But that's just my opinion. I buy for the art first. So I get a cheap card to meet my need/want for one from the set. Then I buy art of all sizes for the ART.

I'm not going to mention any names but here's a scenario.

A SKETCH ARTIST charging for a card for close to $1000, and without looking up the info, I believe it's a PSC and not an AP. Don't get me wrong, the art is fantastic, but the SKETCH ARTIST hasn't been around for very long.

For that same price I can get a full sketch with two characters from a well known ARTIST.

Full color work of equal quality. Good for them! But I'm going to go for the larger work from a well known artist.

Why can they do that? Because of the sketch card collector community. Same thing in the bust and statue collecting community.

I'm not saying that most SKETCH ARTISTS charge $1,000. Infact, most artists I know charge $50.00-$100.00 for an artist proof. Which I think is a reasonable amount for a fully licensed art drawn in good quality. Other reasons SOME sketch cards sell for commanding prices is because the quality of the ART is definitely NOT sketch quality. Some artists take pride in creating mini-art-masterpieces and not quick sketches. I personally know artists who spends 6-10 hours drawing 1 card to be inserted in boxes/packs for a few dollars. That's the only reason those artists charge a little more for their artist proofs.

Getting back on topic with the Marvel Premium backs. I do agree that an actual artist list would be great to see. If there are several comic artists & top sketch card artists on the set it may be worth the price, but if there isn't, we can always wait for the packs to be opened and the sketches to be sold cheaper on that famous auction site we know. Wink

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
quote:

Razz

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:

Taking Katie Cook as an example is an interesting one, her work from the earlier Marvel/DC sets commands a much higher price than the newer ones because they're so much better drawn. If she's drawing like she has on recent Marvel sets they're probably going to be worth less than those older sets.

Your point could still be correct and they command higher prices than the recent stuff but even if that happens it highlights the unique nature of sketch cards, unlike the rest of the hobby sketch cards often break the rarity to price ratio (there's probably a better term for it).

Well I guess I fall among the naysayers group Big Grin because I would not pay more for a sketch based solely on the pack price of the product it came from, as I already said. Expanding on the Katie Cook example she has a known following and that creates a market for her work, but without meaning any disrespect, even in her unique style she has better and lesser sketches.

If her work in Marvel Premiere is on hinged or doublesided or whatever you want to call the larger drawing space, then it should go for more than a comparable quality sketch in another product. If the sketch is no better, no worse, than ones that are already available on the market, why would anyone pay more just because the pack it came from was more expensive to open?

A couple of years ago I saw Sean Pence's work and wanted a sketch of his, but the prices were high. I looked around and found that he had done sketches for the Spirit set. I picked up an extremely affordable, nice sketch of Samuel L. Jackson's character. Is it the best thing Pence has ever done? No, but I am quite happy with it. If that makes me a naysayer, so be it. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's a really gorgeous/expensive piece of art, you're not going to leave it out on display to be exposed to light anyway. It's going to be buried in a box, binder, or cabinet. Anyway, I think this would be a silly reason not to want to own a nice piece of anything.

Myself and I'm sure many others display their sketches inside toploaders in a cabinet with a transparent window. Some also use wall frames or something similar.

I'd love to buy a couple boxes of this but if the sketches are double-sided and not able to fold both sides out, I'll probably pass, as IMO, it seems a waste of beautiful art to store in a binder.

If they are double-sided, might buy one to display on a shelf but it would take up a lot of space to display so could see many passing or buying at most a single box.

Posts: 14 | Location: Indiana, USA | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
They can't do any worse on the sketches than 2012 Leaf Best Of Baseball at $225-275 for a 2 card pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-L...&hash=item3cc9574e02

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-L...&hash=item2a20f497a0

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ holy moly that is just sad!

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
wow those give Waterhouse a run for his money how on earth did that artist get chosen for that set?

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! I did a search on "2012 Leaf Best of baseball sketch" and found some worse stinkers. I'd be furious if I laid out that kind of money and got something like that. Mad

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apart from the look of the sketches, the price for a 2 card pack, relative to the ebay sale prices are really quite terrible. Perhaps due to look of the sketches i suppose?

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post