Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Marvel Premier
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Marvel Premier
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Nice examples there. Jaro was the link a couple pages back that was killed. (1st link on Justice41's post)

Still think the idea of a 5 card 3 panel gatefold puzzle is just stupid and insane for the artist to do though. Great large canvas do work on sure, but from a collector standpoint, KNOWING they won't all be in 1 box, it's just a bad decision.

This has been confirmed. One collector opened a pack and there was a redemption card for the entire puzzle!!! That's actually 35 sketch cards (front and back).

Here's the front:

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep that is confirmed. Spoke with someone at Upper Deck and after being put on hold for about 10 minutes he came back and said that I would be receiving the entire puzzle. Pretty insane. Will post pics of the Phoenix Five when it shows up!

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NonSportCardGuy26:
Yep that is confirmed. Spoke with someone at Upper Deck and after being put on hold for about 10 minutes he came back and said that I would be receiving the entire puzzle. Pretty insane. Will post pics of the Phoenix Five when it shows up!

Do you get to keep the redemption card as well? That would be a cool addition to the collection (1/1 for sure!!).

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
That is AWESOME that they did that as a redemption for all 5 cards. WOW! And congrats on the pull!

I am more than happy to be proven wrong on something like that lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
quote:
Originally posted by NonSportCardGuy26:

Yep, the redemption was one that you put in online, so I got to keep the redemption card as well.

Do you get to keep the redemption card as well? That would be a cool addition to the collection (1/1 for sure!!).

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Nice examples there. Jaro was the link a couple pages back that was killed. (1st link on Justice41's post)

Still think the idea of a 5 card 3 panel gatefold puzzle is just stupid and insane for the artist to do though. Great large canvas do work on sure, but from a collector standpoint, KNOWING they won't all be in 1 box, it's just a bad decision.

This has been confirmed. One collector opened a pack and there was a redemption card for the entire puzzle!!! That's actually 35 sketch cards (front and back).

Here's the front:

That is fricking AWESOME!!!!!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
My three packs/boxes arrived today. For all those who doubted this product all I can say is I wish I would have been able to get my dealers whole case.
This product is loaded and the artwork is fantastic. I'll be posting my breaks in the next day or two.

I also received three boxes of the new Leaf Originals Wrestling. Will be posting these as well.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We have some info on the blog today on the multi-part hinged Marvel Premier cards including which artists did them and how many:

Finding Redemption In A Pack

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great looking set but @ $200 per pack this is a lottery I can't afford to play.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Looks like there's enough wealthy people in this hobby to play this lottery. I was told by a distributor, that they are sold out and UD as well.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
Looks like there's enough wealthy people in this hobby to play this lottery. I was told by a distributor, that they are sold out and UD as well.

No surprise there. UD was sold out pre-release and the dealer allotments were so small that just a handful of customers could easily take it all.

More power to them. If you have to think about spending this kind of money on a pack/box, then its not for you, regardless of what may or may not be in it. The pack breaks mean nothing unless there is a guarantee, and NO ONE can give you a guarantee of anything.

Me? I have to think about it, so its not for me, and that's all there is to it.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:

No surprise there. UD was sold out pre-release and the dealer allotments were so small that just a handful of customers could easily take it all.

More power to them. If you have to think about spending this kind of money on a pack/box, then its not for you, regardless of what may or may not be in it. The pack breaks mean nothing unless there is a guarantee, and NO ONE can give you a guarantee of anything.

Me? I have to think about it, so its not for me, and that's all there is to it.

The value was definitely there initially. Sure, there was some hit or miss but for the most part a minimum you were looking at $125+ return from your $150-$200 box. That's pretty good with upsides of a few $500+ and a ton of ~$300 sketches.

However, looks like so much was opened. Seems like from a "value saturation" perspective, UD maybe should have cut production by 25-50%. Then we wouldn't be seeing the sharp drop-off of prices (because of excess supply) in the last ~7 days. If it sold-out, it's a success for UD... but the sketch card market sure is becoming saturated and companies need to take note especially with ~$200 products.

Personally, I love this product. Still experimenting with storage/display of hinge cards. But wow, feel like I'm getting a steal with many of these 3-7 panel cards!

Posts: 14 | Location: Indiana, USA | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
If it's only been out for 2 to 2 1/2 weeks and there's been a drop off in the last 7 days that's not good for the dealers and larger collectors. It might have been a success for UD but if collectors are finding a lot of great deals that means cards are going for cheap and someone is most likely losing money on what they opened. That doesn't spell success considering the whole picture.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Just picking up sketch cards I like from this set, the price point is just too high. I have picked up 4 sketch cards for less than the price of one pack. There's some great cards in this set but I am not willing to risk that kind of money, too much of a gamble.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pumpkindiver
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that everyone is saying this set is too much of a gamble. I dropped the same money on 2 boxes of Big Bang Theory and hit 2 $2 Signatures and a few minor costumes. I think this set looks like you'd get much better value for money

Posts: 154 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Buying through distributors, I could have gotten between 3-4 boxes of Crypto product for the cost of 1 pack of Premier. It was just too much of a gamble for me.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkindiver:
I find it interesting that everyone is saying this set is too much of a gamble. I dropped the same money on 2 boxes of Big Bang Theory and hit 2 $2 Signatures and a few minor costumes. I think this set looks like you'd get much better value for money

I agree

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
To be fair let's remember that you are comparing apples to oranges now. BBT and most Crpto products have autographs as their primary hit and material cards secondary. So fans of the shows or autograph card collectors are going to be interested in buying those releases.

Marvel Premier is going to attract fans of the Marvel characters, sketch card collectors and, at this price point, speculators who hope to hit it big on artwork they think they can flip.

If you are going to try to compare box/pack prices and sketch quality of Marvel Premier to something else, you must at least stick to another product that had sketches as its primary hit(s).

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
To be fair let's remember that you are comparing apples to oranges now. BBT and most Crpto products have autographs as their primary hit and material cards secondary. So fans of the shows or autograph card collectors are going to be interested in buying those releases.

Marvel Premier is going to attract fans of the Marvel characters, sketch card collectors and, at this price point, speculators who hope to hit it big on artwork they think they can flip.

If you are going to try to compare box/pack prices and sketch quality of Marvel Premier to something else, you must at least stick to another product that had sketches as its primary hit(s).

Also, to be fair, BBT box prices started out much lower than they currently are. Good or bad it was market forces have pushed the box prices to their current levels.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:

Also, to be fair, BBT box prices started out much lower than they currently are. Good or bad it was market forces have pushed the box prices to their current levels.

Absolutely, I had a big problem with the way BBT rolled out. The box prices jumped because people were looking to pull one of the big 5, hopefully Sheldon, Penny or Leonard. They were going over $300 individually, but because the autograph list was so short, what most people got was one of the 4 common autographs at a big $10 each. I opened a few boxes early on at the original price and got all the commons and one limited. At that point I couldn't see trying any more boxes, the cost was not only prohibitive, I would likely be getting doubles of commons I already had. Roll Eyes

If nothing else there are 20 autographs in Season 3-4, so there is some incentive to continue buying boxes if they are available.

My point was that some members were comparing buying BBT to Marvel Premier, while I feel that the collectors for these two products are very different in focus. Some people may like both no doubt, but if you like only sketches you certainly didn't buy BBT when there were no sketches. Same way that if you want celebrity autographs Marvel Premier has nothing for you.

If its a price/quality comparison that is being made, why not compare Marvel Premier to Lord of the Rings Masterpieces, or Vampirella, or Batman Archives, or any other card product whose primary guaranteed hit was a sketch? Wouldn't that make more sense than talking about BBT? That's all I meant to say. Smile