Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Marvel Premier
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Marvel Premier
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:
This set in my opinion, will sink faster than the Titanic.

Quite a few rats have been seen jumping from this ship already!!!

Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey

Posts: 39 | Location: Miami | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "rats" that jumped left room for some badass work. There's a video preview out there now. Some pretty neat stuff.

Kudos to the guys and gals that stuck with it. Some really really nice pieces out there.

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
The artwork they showed in that video was all really nice work. I do wish they would have folded some of the hinged cards to see what the creases would look like after folding them and unfolding them a couple of times since that's what you're going to get from the pack.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Should have seen the rep at SDCC protecting their hinged sample card lol. My wife picked it up to look at it and he about jumped out of his shoes to make sure she didn't try to fold it (they didn't have a folded sample there either that I saw). All she was doing was flipping it over to see the back lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
I must be the only one actually looking forward to a premium set like this. Now only they the Non sport world could do something like this with autos and props/costumes

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to this. I think I'd rather have a hinged/folded card as opposed to 'puzzle' cards. Puzzle cards make sense if they're going to be distributed as single hits in packs, but putting 6 or 9 in a pack/box is kinda silly.

The sample art has been awesome thus far. Looks like it might actually justify the price. Disaster averted? There will always be UD haters though.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Should have seen the rep at SDCC protecting their hinged sample card lol. My wife picked it up to look at it and he about jumped out of his shoes to make sure she didn't try to fold it (they didn't have a folded sample there either that I saw). All she was doing was flipping it over to see the back lol

Ahh, maybe he was worried that the "hinge" wouldn't stand up to actual folding. Wink

Seriously if a panel breaks away because of repeatedly opening and folding that's pretty much the end of your sketch value.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
A quick note on the hinged pieces - they are also double-sided sketches. According to one of the set's artist's I spoke with, all but one of the panels is used for original sketch art. That final panel has the COA-type stuff.

Not sure why this isn't more of a marketing point. I thought I'd read it in the past but things have changed/evolved a lot in a short time and it seemed unclear and vague. Still, that's a lot more sketches and more value for your dollar.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the Upper Deck brand and I think they've done very well with Marvel related cards over the years. Still, this kind of a product at this high a price level just leaves the realm of "proper" cards somehow.

Without at all diminishing the talented artists working on the set, if they are willing to do sketch cards in the first place, it just seems to me you could probably contact virtually any one of them and arrange for a fantastic piece of large art for $200 or less (and you could then fold that as many times as you like).

I am interested to see the base cards, though. I know they will be very limited, but will they have newly commisioned art on them like the base cards in Cryptozoic's "DC 52" set? If not, I don't know what the interest will be them despite their scarcity.

I wonder if there will be many flippers on this. I hope so, that would definitely help those hoping to build the base and regular chase sets.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
A quick note on the hinged pieces - they are also double-sided sketches. According to one of the set's artist's I spoke with, all but one of the panels is used for original sketch art. That final panel has the COA-type stuff.

Not sure why this isn't more of a marketing point. I thought I'd read it in the past but things have changed/evolved a lot in a short time and it seemed unclear and vague. Still, that's a lot more sketches and more value for your dollar.

It's been mentioned but perhaps not clearly enough, check out the video as it shows a hinged piece by Cabbie which looked incredible and something I'm sure any collector would love to have, the only concerns are how will they look once they've been folded and how to store/display such large pieces (not everyone cares for stuff outside of trading card sizes).

Was there ever a confirmed artist list released?

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I've always liked the Upper Deck brand and I think they've done very well with Marvel related cards over the years. Still, this kind of a product at this high a price level just leaves the realm of "proper" cards somehow.

Without at all diminishing the talented artists working on the set, if they are willing to do sketch cards in the first place, it just seems to me you could probably contact virtually any one of them and arrange for a fantastic piece of large art for $200 or less (and you could then fold that as many times as you like).

I am interested to see the base cards, though. I know they will be very limited, but will they have newly commisioned art on them like the base cards in Cryptozoic's "DC 52" set? If not, I don't know what the interest will be them despite their scarcity.

I wonder if there will be many flippers on this. I hope so, that would definitely help those hoping to build the base and regular chase sets.

The base cards do also have original art - all by the same artist.

Also, the single-sketch cards are numbered as variations of the base set with the character name on the front. Interesting idea as it opens up an avenue to potentially build a set.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:

I was surprised that even in the video they show both sides but don't really explain that both sides are actual sketches.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I was curious if there was some way to store and display the larger sketches.
I found a 16¨W x 14 5/16¨H album that has a page that holds three 4" x 12" photos. that is the closest I was able to find for the 3.5" x 10" cards.
Unfortunately it's also an O Ring Binder.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
looks like this was delayed a few weeks. I have seen some sport card holders for the booklet style cards. They have had these for a while. They make folded and unfolded versions.

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Beckett news.......

http://www.beckett.com/news/20...-premier/#more-50645

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those pieces look fantastic! Hope box/case breaks video and post breaks on you tube like they do for high end sports cards.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Nice examples there. Jaro was the link a couple pages back that was killed. (1st link on Justice41's post)

Still think the idea of a 5 card 3 panel gatefold puzzle is just stupid and insane for the artist to do though. Great large canvas do work on sure, but from a collector standpoint, KNOWING they won't all be in 1 box, it's just a bad decision.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Nice examples there. Jaro was the link a couple pages back that was killed. (1st link on Justice41's post)

Still think the idea of a 5 card 3 panel gatefold puzzle is just stupid and insane for the artist to do though. Great large canvas do work on sure, but from a collector standpoint, KNOWING they won't all be in 1 box, it's just a bad decision.

At least each piece of the puzzle can stand on its own.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Work on the streets is that there are printing plates.