Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Marvel Premier
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Marvel Premier
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy28:
Apart from the look of the sketches, the price for a 2 card pack, relative to the ebay sale prices are really quite terrible. Perhaps due to look of the sketches i suppose?

To all bashing the sketches from Leaf best of BB: this was a $200/pack item that had a slabbed baseball card as the main "hit" in the pack; the sketch card was a bonus. The lure of the sealed packs was in trying to hit a slabbed baseball rookie of someone big. So it's a completely false comparison to use these sketches and the price of the pack and compare to the upcoming Marvel premier, where the sketches ARE the main hit. Just thought I'd clear that up...
Tim

Posts: 47 | Location: indiana | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy351:
quote:
Apart from the look of the sketches, the price for a 2 card pack, relative to the ebay sale prices are really quite terrible. Perhaps due to look of the sketches i suppose?

To all bashing the sketches from Leaf best of BB: this was a $200/pack item that had a slabbed baseball card as the main "hit" in the pack; the sketch card was a bonus. The lure of the sealed packs was in trying to hit a slabbed baseball rookie of someone big. So it's a completely false comparison to use these sketches and the price of the pack and compare to the upcoming Marvel premier, where the sketches ARE the main hit. Just thought I'd clear that up...
Tim

That does not excuse the low quality of those sketches. They have no reason to sell something that horrible.

Pathetic.

Posts: 39 | Location: Miami | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rian Fike:
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy351:
quote:

Tim

That does not excuse the low quality of those sketches. They have no reason to sell something that horrible.

Pathetic.

I have seen far worse from products where the only hit is the sketch.

And from the sales side of it, these so-called "horrible" sketches are bringing $20-$40 each, much better than the ones you can't sell for $1 that I just referenced.

So we have a product where you pay $200 for a bb card that could be worth anywhere from $50-$500 (and some rare ones higher than that) plus the bonus sketch hit. From a sales standpoint the sketch is a nice bonus. From an artistic standpoint, like I said, I have seen far worse.

Posts: 47 | Location: indiana | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bunch of the folded sketch cards ("hinged"? seriously?) are being shown here:

https://twitter.com/J0ELG

Yikes.

I have two words...

Buyer BEWARE.

Mad

Posts: 39 | Location: Miami | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
A bunch of the folded sketch cards ("hinged"? seriously?) are being shown here:

https://twitter.com/J0ELG

Yikes.

I have two words...

Buyer BEWARE.

Mad

I agree! I wouldn't be very happy if I spent $200 on a pack and got that as my pull.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well, that is all I needed to see. Too much of a risk. IF they went back down to 2 base cards numbered out of /99 , 2 sketch cards, a insert card and a price tag of $150 I would be back in.

Posts: 21 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the best cards ever shown...

Upper Deck better counter that with some Top Shelf examples, and quick.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
It's only fair that that twitter feed does list them as WIP's Work in Progress

But that doesn't mean that I still agree with the general consensus here.... NO

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what size the 3 panel sketches are? Those panels don't appear to be a standard size.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisahend:
Does anyone know what size the 3 panel sketches are? Those panels don't appear to be a standard size.

This is what UD posted on their facebook page.....

"For example, the sketchable surface on the front of the four panel card measures 3.5" x 10" and the back measures 3.5" x 7.5"."

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Panel sketches or hinge sketches may sound more exotic, but its really folded sketches isn't it? Big Grin

I don't think you can draw too many conclusions based on a couple of so-so examples. Just as when UD puts out its advertising and you know its going to show only the very best sketches, that's not representative either.

And just because a panel sketch is bigger in size does not mean that the artist used the space to do anything more than enlarge the image. That's what I'm most curious to see. If the sketches in Marvel Premier are more involved and have better artwork, then they deserve to command higher prices. But if the quality of the average sketch is no better than sketches found in other products, except that its bigger, does it automatically deserve to be worth more?

I don't think so. If the sketch is good, bigger is better. If the sketch is not good, bigger won't help. Wink To be continued when we see more examples. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Buyer BEWARE.

Mad

Why the negative reaction, they're no worse than anything else we've seen in the last 10 odd years no?

I do think UD missed a trick here, imagine if they'd used those fold out sketches for over sized jam pieces? Probably could have halved the number and still retained the price point.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I agree, this is Marvel Universe with comic book characters. Treat it like a comic book. Have a penciler and an inker just like original comic book artwork. And if you wanted it colored that could be a bonus by the inker or a third artist. Also, use at least 35% Marvel comic book artists (past and present). You could even call it "Marvel Premier: Past and Present." Just thinking out loud.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:
quote:
Buyer BEWARE.

Mad

Why the negative reaction, they're no worse than anything else we've seen in the last 10 odd years no?

The $200 price tag makes low quality sketches unbearable.

At least with FF50 you really were assured of getting top talent. This is a serious crapshoot, with the emphasis on ****.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Panel sketches or hinge sketches may sound more exotic, but its really folded sketches isn't it? Big Grin

I don't think you can draw too many conclusions based on a couple of so-so examples. Just as when UD puts out its advertising and you know its going to show only the very best sketches, that's not representative either.

And just because a panel sketch is bigger in size does not mean that the artist used the space to do anything more than enlarge the image. That's what I'm most curious to see. If the sketches in Marvel Premier are more involved and have better artwork, then they deserve to command higher prices. But if the quality of the average sketch is no better than sketches found in other products, except that its bigger, does it automatically deserve to be worth more?

I don't think so. If the sketch is good, bigger is better. If the sketch is not good, bigger won't help. Wink To be continued when we see more examples. Smile

I don't recall people being miffed about the folded Indy sketches. I'm not sure why so many people are suddenly turned off by these sketches. Now, the quality and the price point could have a lot to do with it, but I seem to remember people actually like the oversized Topps product.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
I don't recall people being miffed about the folded Indy sketches. I'm not sure why so many people are suddenly turned off by these sketches. Now, the quality and the price point could have a lot to do with it, but I seem to remember people actually like the oversized Topps product.

For myself I'm not miffed at all, I'm waiting to see what's in a $200 pack because the quality and the price point has everything to do it. But I'm not sure what you mean by folded sketches in Indy. Are you talking about those split sketches of half faces that you need both sides to piece together?

I have at least a dozen sketches from Indy sets and none are folded, plus I can't recall seeing anything oversized besides those half panels. Did I miss something?

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
There was Panoramic sketches in the Indiana Jones Masterpieces set.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:

Here's an Ingrid Hardy sketch I picked up.

As you can see, the crease is barely noticable in the scan.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That one is beautiful, but ebay tells a different story:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...mic+sketch&_osacat=0

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That one is beautiful, but ebay tells a different story:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...mic+sketch&_osacat=0

I'm shocked at seeing you be so down on this product. Myself and several others gave you quite a lot of grief over at Scoundrel for being such a UD homer several months back. What happened to change your tune?
As for the listings you've shown I'm not surprised at seeing these leftovers being of such poor quality. When that product first came out the Panoramics off good quality were top sellers, but as others have already stated on this thread a quality sketch is a quality sketch.