Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Marvel Premier
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Marvel Premier
 Login/Join

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
I totally agree that the price is crazy on these. I have to say though, if the artist list ends up having some more Marvel artists, I may take the chance on a pack or two.

Check out my blog Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:
I was originally doing stuff for this but decided to cancel. Too much work for to little.

quote:
Originally posted by wgf351:
I totally agree that the price is crazy on these. I have to say though, if the artist list ends up having some more Marvel artists, I may take the chance on a pack or two.

Sounds like UD wants the money in their pocket. By the sounds of J41, they're not upping the money the artists get. I doubt the more known Marvel artists will be contributing too much.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't assume. Any info you're getting isn't the full story. Anyone talking at this point is either full of it, or likely burning a bridge.

Be patient.

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
There is no "be patient" as pre-orders are due within the next day or so. If UD thinks that people are going to flock to this release, they are sorely mistaken.

There are just way to many questions @ $180 a pop, especially when there have been far too many Marvel sketches put on the market recently.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but like Iggy says there is no time for patience. My distributor is requiring firm orders on Tuesday the 31st.

So, unless we get a lot of information over the weekend I wouldn't be giving UD any slack.

Seeing as how I either buy at retail or must break what I buy, I don't see much of this coming my way with the information we have now.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm not going to get into a long drawn out debate on the validity of pre-orders. You guys have to do what you have to do.

All I'm saying is that the artists aren't allowed to talk about this set. So any info you've heard from artists is more than likely intentionally vague and not the whole story.

Have a good one.

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Why is Upper Deck keeping it such a secret? Especially from the people who are expected to pre-order. Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Check out Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jadams:
Ok, I'm not going to get into a long drawn out debate on the validity of pre-orders. You guys have to do what you have to do.

All I'm saying is that the artists aren't allowed to talk about this set. So any info you've heard from artists is more than likely intentionally vague and not the whole story.

Have a good one.

I totally understand not wanting to spill all of the beans here BUT since UD is asking dealers/distributors to pay the highest SRP of a sketch card driven product they have to give us a little more. Jason it almost comes across as a smash and grab by Upper Deck with a short deadline for orders and virtually ZERO definitive information to go on.

Posts: 21 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgf351:
Why is Upper Deck keeping it such a secret? Especially from the people who are expected to pre-order. Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Like the saying goes, better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and removal all doubt. Remember when they included a picture of Scarlet Johansson on the AA pre-sell?

Until they confirm it, assume the worst and you won't be disappointed with UD.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
Tattoox posted some details about the product. Is there a lot more information that is needed?

Other than a list of artists, I don't know if any other info will make a difference. Sounds like a lot of people have made up their minds on this already anyway and that's mainly based on the $200 SRP.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
Tattoox posted some details about the product. Is there a lot more information that is needed?

Other than a list of artists, I don't know if any other info will make a difference. Sounds like a lot of people have made up their minds on this already anyway and that's mainly based on the $200 SRP.

I can care less about what the artists are saying or not saying.

If you go to the links (which Harris' link isn't working) that are shared here, the info varies. Just looking at what I shared from a distributor, the info contradicts itself.

Here are questions I have:

4 or 5 packs?

Sketch cards have original art on one side or both?

1 or 2 base cards per pack?

And several confirmations on what some of these premium cards really are, and their true odds per pack.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Just found this info on FB directly from UD:

Upper Deck Entertainment
The pack breakdown is as follows. 2 base cards #'d to 199. 1 base card variant sketch card. 1 two, three or four panel sketch card. 1 Classic Corners, Premier Shadow Box or Emotion card. Five (5) cards per pack in total. Did you need any further detail clarification?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
This adds a little more value:

All of the multi panel folding cards will be double sided. For example, the sketchable surface on the front of the four panel card measures 3.5" x 10" and the back measures 3.5" x 7.5".

posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not the price I have a problem with, it's what they're offering for it. As it stands this set is no different from anything else that's been released besides there only being 200 sets (assuming they don't change their minds and bump it another 200 or whatever).

So what's left at this point? If the artist list was amazing then I could see this thing selling, without that this looks like another KSW to me.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
The bigger/longer hinged cards have more art on the back. My friend who is drawing on this set was venting to me about having to scan in both the front and back of the cards and how much more time it was taking lol.

As for more information, An actual artist list would be nice. They don't have all the cards in hand so there won't be solid numbers on how many each person did yet. And a more accurate breakdown on the other inserts would be nice. Since the Nar Emotion cards are limited to 50, they're not going to be very frequent. So what is the ratio of the patch/shadow box cards going to be in a case? 50/50?

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
The bigger/longer hinged cards have more art on the back. My friend who is drawing on this set was venting to me about having to scan in both the front and back of the cards and how much more time it was taking lol.

As for more information, An actual artist list would be nice. They don't have all the cards in hand so there won't be solid numbers on how many each person did yet. And a more accurate breakdown on the other inserts would be nice. Since the Nar Emotion cards are limited to 50, they're not going to be very frequent. So what is the ratio of the patch/shadow box cards going to be in a case? 50/50?

I'm wondering how much trouble and how many artists will be affected by bleed through on these double sided sketches.

Here's the info I think you are looking for Jake.

· One Classic Corners, Premier Shadow Box or Emotion card per pack!

o 50 Classic Corners Cards (1:3)

o 42 Showdown Shadowbox Cards (1:3)

o 18 Emotion Booklet Cards numbered to 50

Configuration: 6 boxes per case / 1 pack per box / 5 cards per pack

Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
I think a big part of the draw/value is in the limited number of sets. 200 sets is incredibly low. I think they are trying hard to offer something different from the standard Marvel release. Fold out sketches? Emotion booklets? Sounds kinda new to me.

If it was a $50 or $100 offering, nobody would even question/blink at this release. So I think the cost of the product is definitely playing a part in this discussion, otherwise there wouldn't even be a debate on this product.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think a big part of the draw/value is in the limited number of sets. 200 sets is incredibly low. I think they are trying hard to offer something different from the standard Marvel release. Fold out sketches? Emotion booklets? Sounds kinda new to me.

If it was a $50 or $100 offering, nobody would even question/blink at this release. So I think the cost of the product is definitely playing a part in this discussion, otherwise there wouldn't even be a debate on this product.

Yes, it's the price for the most part.

I just ran the #s and the value seems to be there in each pack, IMO.

But, besides the price feeling too high, here are some turn offs for me. Considering what you get that justifies the price.

Are the artists getting a piece of that pie?

Don't like hard to find, expensive base sets.

Not impressed with having a crease in my sketch card.

I'm only interested in the base set and emotion cards. Collectors and their sketch card frenzy mentality will be my only hope that the other cards will be dumped.

posted Hide Post
quote:

As I said before (on Scoundrel I think), it's ironic that I'm negative on this set when it's what I've been asking companies to make for years, there's no point making 8000 base sets as there's never enough people to buy them all.

Folding sketches are new yes and in fairness they sound more interesting than the original description which just made them sound no different from a 2-4 puzzle sketches which won't fit into 9 pocket pages but how much demand is there for expensive base/chase cards? I'm doubtful there's over 50 collectors prepared to grind out this kind of set.

quote:

Only insofar as any other set, the $200 price tag isn't a problem if you're getting comparatively as much as you would have gotten from 1/3 of a normal case (assuming it's $600), or rather it's only really a problem for the people who can only justify a single box.

As far as I'm aware you're going to get a sketch like every other set, a folding sketch of unknown quality and some base/chase, do you reasonably believe that besides the regular sketch there's interest at $150 for the rest of the pack?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
This is the way I look at it.

I'm only interested in one inexpensive sketch card from every series that I collect. Other than that, I collect for the art.

So typically I can get a sketch card from Artist X for a third of what I'd pay for an AP, and about half what I'd find on Ebay. And usually I can get an 8X10 or larger for $10-20 more.

And this is how I broke down an average pack by what I last heard from UD.

2 base cards
1 sketch card
1 of 3 premium chase cards
1, 2, or 3 hinged, double sided sketch

That tells me, on average, you'd get the equivalent of 6 sketch cards worth of sketching.

Based on that, I came up with what I would be willing to pay for this pack.

$5 for two base
$20+ for a sketch
$20 for a chase
$120 for a 3 hinge

$165+ and I'm cheap. I see most sketches going in the $40+ region, so I don't think $200 is far fetch.

I'm not going to buy a creased piece of artwork. So buying a pack is way too much of a gamble that I'll pull a top named artist and/or a quality sketch that justifies this price tag. A hinged sketch might surprise me, but again, it's not worth the risk.

This is like two days worth of over-time above and beyond the OT I already work for cards and busts/statues. I can't keep up as it is.

I think I'll go to a convention soon and get a "jam" piece for about $100 and two or three 8X10 for another $100 and get what I want and be way ahead of the game.

I think this one I got my wife was either $70 or $140.

This one was a freebie.

$150 for a 9X12.