Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Marvel Premier
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Marvel Premier
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm shocked at seeing you be so down on this product. Myself and several others gave you quite a lot of grief over at Scoundrel for being such a UD homer several months back. What happened to change your tune?

Nothing happened, I just don't think this is fair to charge $200 if the artist list is not going to match the price. Jason Adams??? No thanks.

I was excited about previous releases, and I am disappointed with this one. You gave me grief when I was positive, because that's what happens on the internet when people are positive.

I haven't changed, I always state my opinions honestly.

Posts: 39 | Location: Miami | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
When that product first came out the Panoramics off good quality were top sellers, but as others have already stated on this thread a quality sketch is a quality sketch.

I wasn't aware of the Indy "Panoramics". Kind of misnamed if its just a bigger version of a sketch that would have been the same on a regular sized card, oh well. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rian Fike:
quote:

I'm shocked at seeing you be so down on this product. Myself and several others gave you quite a lot of grief over at Scoundrel for being such a UD homer several months back. What happened to change your tune?

Nothing happened, I just don't think this is fair to charge $200 if the artist list is not going to match the price. Jason Adams??? No thanks.

I was excited about previous releases, and I am disappointed with this one. You gave me grief when I was positive, because that's what happens on the internet when people are positive.

I haven't changed, I always state my opinions honestly.

I guess what's got me so puzzled is that you were so high for UD's Kree-Skull release, where the overwhelming majority of people were complaining about the lack of value which many felt wasn't there. Post after post you defended that product even claiming that due to the rarity of sketches, even less than stellar cards would command a premium.
Now I admit this is an extremely expensive product, but how is this any different as far as bang for the buck?

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$200 for a 5 card pack seems like it would change a lot.

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
With less than 2 months until release, I just don't understand the secrecy from UD about the artist list. Why not start the hype now by showing off the best of the best? Even start showing some more of the base and chase cards.

Check out my blog at Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgf351:
With less than 2 months until release, I just don't understand the secrecy from UD about the artist list. Why not start the hype now by showing off the best of the best? Even start showing some more of the base and chase cards.

They've always been tightfisted with information on these entertainment sets but yes I agree they're missing a trick by not showcasing the rest of the set. The suspicious part of me wants to believe they're not saying anything because they've got nothing good to say but it feels like business as usual at Upperdeck.

On the bright side at least they're not sticking Scarlet's autograph mock ups on the sell sheet this time...

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane
I guess what's got me so puzzled is that you were so high for UD's Kree-Skull release, where the overwhelming majority of people were complaining about the lack of value which many felt wasn't there. Post after post you defended that product even claiming that due to the rarity of sketches, even less than stellar cards would command a premium.
Now I admit this is an extremely expensive product, but how is this any different as far as bang for the buck?

Kree Skrull War was a cool idea with normal prices and ultra rare sketches, including the first Acar Squirrel Girl. I still like the idea, although I will admit it did not work because the base set had no value on the secondary market.

Premier is an entirely different idea, and I don't like it. The thrill of bringing Nar back into the game is tarnished by the arrogant price and the mediocre artist list. It may work, it may not. We shall see.

Posts: 39 | Location: Miami | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess would be that they haven't got any of the 'best of the best' sketches in yet to display. With the workload of some of the top artists, it wouldn't surprise me if most are still in the 'work-in-progress' stage like those on the twitter link.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rian, save the drama please. NSU is free of all the BS that's plagued the other place and drove people away in droves. Speaking your opinion is one thing, but being ugly about it is something completely different.

No ones really clear on your agenda as its fluctuating in a daily basis. But please leave me out of it in the future. I'm of the opinion that you're trying to get some sort of emotional response out of me. Not gonna happen. I love this set. Am I biased? Yeah. But I've seen the emotion booklets first hand, and they are pretty dang neat.

If Premier isn't your thing, that's cool. If its not, then stick with what you like. Companies that put out high end sets also offer low end sets for the most part. And middle of the road sets. There's something out there for everyone.

UD is trying something different and innovative, it's good for every non sport company to push, create, and experiment. If they don't people gripe about that too.

Enjoy it, embrace innovation, this very well may lead to great things down the road for companies that were hesitant to dip their toes into the high end entertainment pool.

Different is good. Innovation is good. Tolerance of new things that scare you is even better.

Have a good one. Stay positive.

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he says he likes it he gets beat up as a shill, if he says he doesn't like it he has an agenda. Rian, you'll have to practice being Schrödinger's cat!

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure how this set qualifies as innovative. This type of set has been done to death on the sports side, and breaking it over there was largely disappointing. Sure there will be some really good breaks, but vast majority of them will be disappointing.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Any timeline as to when UD is going to start pumpng this set up? When can you guys (and girls of course) start showing some sketches?

Check out my latest post on Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out. I do know my dealer told me this was being allocated and I was only able to get 1/2 a case.
Maybe I'll be happy, maybe I'll be sad. Wink

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason,
Any timeline as to when UD is going to start pumpng this set up? When can you guys (and girls of course) start showing some sketches?

Check out my latest post on Card Crazy!

No clue. Sorry, wish I knew more.

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:
If he says he likes it he gets beat up as a shill, if he says he doesn't like it he has an agenda. Rian, you'll have to practice being Schrödinger's cat!

I am in the box now, and guess what?

It's bigger on the inside.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rian Fike:
quote:

I am in the box now, and guess what?

It's bigger on the inside.

Corresponding video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l82OCNpgKbQ

Now back in the box...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
Not sure how this set qualifies as innovative. This type of set has been done to death on the sports side, and breaking it over there was largely disappointing. Sure there will be some really good breaks, but vast majority of them will be disappointing.

I wouldn't call it innovative either, more like doubling down on the sketches as the primary hit. There have been $200 plus boxes/packs before, and not just for sports cards. The Leaf Pop Century had a SRP of $200 for 5 celebrity autograph cards when it came out. The premium sports products have contained a number of combinations including autographs, numbered rookie cards, memorabilia, or sometimes signed memorabilia cards.

Where Marvel Premier is pushing the envelope is when it comes to the price of a product whose main hits are sketches. I think sketches are the hardest of all hits to value because they are all 1/1s and can not truly be compared to other sketches from different or even the same artists, except in very subjective terms. It can always be said that any card is only worth what someone will pay, but there are no standard guidelines for artwork. An autograph card has an average price based supposedly on verified sales, but sketches have average ranges that look like $20 - $300. That really helps a lot. Big Grin

My point is, we can go on and on about this, but even after the artist list comes out (and the number done by each, maybe) it's just speculation until we see representative examples of the sketches. So I'm going to quit it until then.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I forgot to unsubscribe to this page. Must do it now, because this debate is getting too much for me on so many levels. Just clogging up my email folder.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Found it: http://sketchcardsaloon.wordpr...raft-by-glen-brogan/

So incredibly cool.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Found out last week I won't be getting the case I ordered.

Apparently I'm not good enough for Upper Deck products. They won't even sell me this one to break.

I'll take my money where it's more appreciated (Like Breygent, Cryptozoic, or Rittenhouse).

Sorry to rant, but not selling to breaking dealers makes no sense at all.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post