Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Marvel Premier
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Marvel Premier
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted
Are you ready for a super premium Marvel product? Upper Deck Marvel Premier - 4 cards, $200

http://www.facebook.com/notes/...uced/391381140921924

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
So, a little easy math and we have a base card numbered /99 per box, 50 base cards in the set which works out to 4,950 "boxes".

Considering the average selling point of 95% of Marvel sketches it's hard to see value at $200 per box for 2 sketches, a base card and some sort of insert.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We have this on the blog today too:

Upper Deck Announces 200/Pack Marvel Series

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it will be impossible to ever put together the 50 card base set. Frown Unless you are Donald Trump !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Eek That's just stupid or greedy. Take your pick.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
Are you ready for a super premium Marvel product? Upper Deck Marvel Premier - 4 cards, $200

http://www.facebook.com/notes/...uced/391381140921924

Didn't Rittenhouse do something near this price level with a Fantastic Four set?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So at $200 a pack, you'd need 50 packs (with no duplicates) to complete a base set.

50 x $200 = $ 10,000.00 !!!

I am sure that most of us here on Card Talk have that money on hand, eh ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
So at $200 a pack, you'd need 50 packs (with no duplicates) to complete a base set.

I'm hoping that die hard sketch card collectors dump the commons on ebay.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
So, a little easy math and we have a base card numbered /99 per box, 50 base cards in the set which works out to 4,950 "boxes".

Considering the average selling point of 95% of Marvel sketches it's hard to see value at $200 per box for 2 sketches, a base card and some sort of insert.

I totally agree. Not even going to bother taking my chances on one pack for curiosity sake.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
Just read the NSU Article and couldn't help the need to translate the following release.
“For years we’ve seen die-hard Marvel fans pay big bucks for some of the premium inserts in our Marvel trading card lines,” said Jason Brenner, Upper Deck’s Marvel brand manager. “This is our first opportunity to provide them with a set of Marvel cards that are all high-end insert quality. This is certainly not a product for everyone which is why we are not making very much of it, but the fans it is targeted for are going to love it!”

Loosely Translated:-
"For years we've seen all the money we've been missing. We produced products that were really nice, and collectable, but screw that, lets take all the money from those guys who have more money than sense."

If only Marvel had charged 60 times the regular price of it's comic books in the 1960's, then all the high end collectors would have their pristine collection.
But without the fans, where's the hobby? and at $200 how many packs are you buying?

And a base set at $10,000 with a perfect break? That's just funny.

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:

These are not for me.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardcollectors uk:
Just read the NSU Article and couldn't help the need to translate the following release.
“For years we’ve seen die-hard Marvel fans pay big bucks for some of the premium inserts in our Marvel trading card lines,” said Jason Brenner, Upper Deck’s Marvel brand manager. “This is our first opportunity to provide them with a set of Marvel cards that are all high-end insert quality. This is certainly not a product for everyone which is why we are not making very much of it, but the fans it is targeted for are going to love it!”

And a base set at $10,000 with a perfect break? That's just funny.

Ok, would any of those "fans it is targeted for are going to love it" like to raise their hands? Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Sports card collectors love this type of premium pack, but it won't do well with non-sports card collectors who don't have that approach to the hobby. The few premium pack releases that have been issued are roughly 25% of this price and they have been controversial with both dealers and collectors. It will be interesting to follow this release when it is issued.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

Don't forget, there's the other 150 cards you'd have so the $10,000 isn't just for a base set. I'd imagine you could sell most of those sketch cards and get a decent portion of your money back, especially if there's 1 regular sketch card and 1 fold-out panel sketch card.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
I thought the world was in recession?
This is madness! Reality check people!

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Lets do the sketch card math...

Assume 4500 packs because surely UD will keep a few base sets back for Marvel and such.

Now, 4500 packs will get you 4500 regular sketch cards and 4500 that are 2, 3, or 4 panel.

That's 9000 sketch cards for the market to absorb. More than any recent Marvel Sketch Card release.

Now, I cannot imagine that the quality control for 9000 cards will be much better than for recent sets. It's just too many sketches. I guess the quality and the available talent might go up if they paid the artists more, but it seems UD is having a hard time paying artists on time now.

So unless something gives, this product will still have $20 sketch cards and lots of them.

Oh yeah, any artists on the set... No Crystals, please.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I'm always surprised at what some sketch card dealers and some sketch card artists are asking for a little sketch.

I get full size pencil sketch, ink sketch, and computer color print from an artist friend for a fraction of these prices.

A fraction of what UD is asking.

I'll keep getting what I want sketched. UD can keep this set. It's not worth the risk to me.

Here's an example:

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I know I sound like a broken record, but UD can keep this for themselves. I truly hope that the artists are getting their fair share this time around.

I'll keep meeting artists at conventions and getting what I want done from who I want.

3 sketch cards and 2 full size pieces from well known artists cost me about what one UD pack will cost.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Sports card collectors love this type of premium pack, but it won't do well with non-sports card collectors who don't have that approach to the hobby. The few premium pack releases that have been issued are roughly 25% of this price and they have been controversial with both dealers and collectors. It will be interesting to follow this release when it is issued.

I'm not sure if I would call it an approach to the hobby as much as an approach to gambling. Big Grin

Sports cards are driven more by the individual player than any product name. When you have those super premium sport packs buyers, they are more often than not searching for the first and best card of some hot rookie or a current superstar, rather than thinking of making a base set. Many times if they find that card it is on eBay the next day.

With the UD Marvel Premier what is the big score for a gambler? A sketch card or hinged sketch card of unknown quality by an artist that may or may not have a following. Or yeah, and it should be a sketch of an important Marvel character too, or else it loses fan interest.

This stuff will not attract gamblers and its too expensive for non-sport collectors that have that all or nothing mentality.

Which is not to say that UD won't find enough Marvel collectors willing to buy a pack just to say that they tried it. That might be all it takes to sell it out, which is all UD cares about. Let the dealers and collectors worry about the secondary market prices after they are stuck with whatever they pulled. UD says you will love it, so that's good enough for me. Wink

I agree with you Batman, it will be interesting to follow this product when the packs are opened.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I'm not sure if I would call it an approach to the hobby as much as an approach to gambling. Big Grin

Sports cards are driven more by the individual player than any product name. When you have those super premium sport packs buyers, they are more often than not searching for the first and best card of some hot rookie or a current superstar, rather than thinking of making a base set. Many times if they find that card it is on eBay the next day.

With the UD Marvel Premier what is the big score for a gambler? A sketch card or hinged sketch card of unknown quality by an artist that may or may not have a following. Or yeah, and it should be a sketch of an important Marvel character too, or else it loses fan interest.

This stuff will not attract gamblers and its too expensive for non-sport collectors that have that all or nothing mentality.

I happen to think it will attract the gamblers. UD is going to show only be best samples. And when you get sketch cards like the MA card of Ted's that brought $400 out of a $50 box, the gamblers are going to buy in.

The top artists will be like the HOF's and there will be some rookies who make a splash. Sketch cards in general are very much like sports cards.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post