Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New Mars Attacks Books from IDW Limited
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mars Attacks Books from IDW Limited
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Today on the blog, we have a complete list of the sketch card artists and the number of cards they are completing. Plus, some awesome John McCrea images and news on his participation in the project. Take a look....

EXCLUSIVE: Mars Attacks By The Numbers

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Harris

Your Blog states that Charles Halls' sketches will be in the Red release but on the IDW listing it states that Charles Hall sketches will be in the Blue release. Which one is correct?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
Hi Harris

Your Blog states that Charles Halls' sketches will be in the Red release but on the IDW listing it states that Charles Hall sketches will be in the Blue release. Which one is correct?
On the IDW site, they show the same list of 18 artists but in a different order for both the Red and the Blue versions. Also, the IDW site says there will be 325 Red editions rather than 250. So there are obviously still a few little details to be tidied up before release Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin F,

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Hi Harris

On the IDW site, they show the same list of 18 artists but in a different order for both the Red and the Blue versions. Also, the IDW site says there will be 325 Red editions rather than 250. So there are obviously still a few little details to be tidied up before release Big Grin

Those listings should have been updated after Harris released the official lists for both labels, sorry for the late update on our site.

They are now correct. As is the information that was posted in the latest update on this site.

Posts: 25 | Location: San Diego | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nate C M:
quote:
quote:
Hi Harris

Those listings should have been updated after Harris released the official lists for both labels, sorry for the late update on our site.

They are now correct. As is the information that was posted in the latest update on this site.

Thanks for the update.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nate C M:
quote:
quote:
Hi Harris

Thanks for the update.

Yes, I agree. Thanks, Nate.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
thanks for the update Nate.

Hm, with the possibility of a Nar! sketch for $125 with a free Mars Attacks book thrown in for good measure, are we opening a 'book' on how many seconds it takes for all 250 copies of the Red Edition to be sold out once the site opens for orders ? Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks for the update Nate.

Hm, with the possibility of a Nar! sketch for $125 with a free Mars Attacks book thrown in for good measure, are we opening a 'book' on how many seconds it takes for all 250 copies of the Red Edition to be sold out once the site opens for orders ? Big Grin

My thoughts as well, I was thinking of trying for a Blue copy but with Nar and Hall in the Red copy I might try for a couple of Reds instead.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
NAR's Mars Attacks cards wouldn't be nearly as popular as his Rob Liefeld-esque superhero sketches would be, though, would they?

Also, I noticed there are 15 extra single sketches and three extra 4 card puzzles commissioned according to the artist counts they gave. I wonder what those are for. Replacements for missing or damaged cards? I can't imagine that many replacements would be needed.

I guess they could make 265 of the Red labels and 53 of the Blue labels, and maybe those 18 extra books will be "artists proofs" and not part of the regular numbered editions.

But if it is 250 and 50, I wonder how they will decide which 15 singles and three puzzles don't go into books, and also if and how those cards might be distributed later.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi All:

After everything said above, it turns out the numbers were off slightly after all. But again, just slightly off and as Nate tells me, it doesn't change odds or tamper with the high-value chase cards. Several counts have been reduced by 4 or 5 cards and none more then 5. (haven't checked but perhaps this explains the math, chesspieceface)

The story has been updated with the following line added:

Please note: The counts above have been updated since this story was originally posted. The original counts erroneously included artists proofs, Topps samples, and IDW in-house samples.

Stay tuned to the blog. We hope to have another artist preview next week.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

The IDW Limited folks have been wonderfully forthcoming with information on this exciting project, no surprise as IDW is a class operation from top to bottom.

I see the slight adjustments made for those artists who had a few cards were held back as proofs, but certainly, the list remains as impressive as it was before the slight changes.

I'm sure collectors are delighted to see all 10 of the NAR cards had made it into the books.

Good luck to all who get a copy, and perhaps in even getting a copy!

I'm almost certainly going to try for one, as I love the new series. John McCrea is a master of this sort of comic mayhem.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's a sneak peak at a NAR! card in progress:

NAR! by buckycap, on Flickr

Posts: 11 | Location: CA | Registered: October 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just wish he'd put a little effort into his cards, sheesh! My 8 week old child could've drawn that, as people like to say.

But seriously, if all 10 of his look like that, I have a feeling they will be every bit as popular as his superhero cards, if not more so, since the quantity is so limited.

Thanks for the picture, Buckycap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I just wish he'd put a little effort into his cards, sheesh! My 8 week old child could've drawn that, as people like to say.

But seriously, if all 10 of his look like that, I have a feeling they will be every bit as popular as his superhero cards, if not more so, since the quantity is so limited.

Thanks for the picture, Buckycap.

They're all great. This one cracked me up because of how he used his signature.

The rest will be previewed soon.

Posts: 25 | Location: San Diego | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This weeks previews are among my favorites so far.
George Webber:

248068_2058507298249_8337042_n by buckycap, on Flickr

Posts: 11 | Location: CA | Registered: October 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are you finding these previews?

Posts: 70 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post

We have a cool preview of Ted Dastick Jr.'s work on the blog today. Ted took many modern day images (Ansel Adams photos, classic masterpiecies, album covers, etc.) and made them even better by inserted Martians into them. Big Grin Have a look:

Previewing Ted Dastick Jr.’s Mars Attacks Sketch Cards from the IDW Limited Hardcover Editions

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Harris!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Ted. Very clever approach.
"Whistler's Mother " really cracked me up.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great, Ted!
Love the "Hotel California"

On a dark desert highway
Cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of roasted dogs
Rising up in the air.
Up ahead in the distance
I saw a shimmering light
My head was heavy and my sight grew dim
Mars was attacking all right!